PDA

View Full Version : Need help/feedback on setting up this campaign.

Rogue Shadows
2011-06-26, 03:31 AM
Oh, by the way, this is my first post here. Hi, all! Love the comic.

Having spent the past three years playing SpyCraft, Star Wars Saga Edition, and Kingdom Hearts/Saga Edition D&D, DM'ing will be rotating back to me sometime within the next six months or so. After playing as Jedi, spies, and Keyblade Masters for so long, I've decided it's time to go back to a good ol' fashion 3.5 dungeon romp-based campaign. There will be dungeons. Probably some dragons. And more ampersands than you can shake a staff of the magi at.

I've been working on Le Required Pamphlet, to hand out to my players.

Given that I can never do anything simple no matter how much I try, though, I've decided to set the campaing in Eberron, specifically starting in Stormreach. Also the campaign will be something like a crossover between Gauntlet Legends... and Legends of the Hidden Temple.

So basically, if any of you have the time, I'd like some feedback on some of the choices I've made. Most specifically, I want to be called out on any phenomenally bad ideas I've had.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. On with the show!

General
Here’s some general starting information.
- Starting Level: 5
- Starting Gold: 9,000 gp
- Maximum Item Cost: 2250 gp
- Ability Scores: 4d6, drop the lowest die.
- Allowed Books: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Eberron Campaign Setting, Races of Eberron

Allowed Races
Aasimar, blue, changeling, drow, dwarf, elf, gnome, goblin, hobgoblin, kalashtar, kobold, human, half-elf, half-giant, half-orc, halfling, orc, shifter, tiefling, warfoged. Level adjustment is being ignored for all races.

Some races have the following additional racial traits, in an attempt to make them more attractive racial options:
- Half-elves: Half-elves receive 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level thereafter, just like a human. They are treated as being both a human and an elf for all effects related to race.
- Half-giants: Half-giants are treated as being both a human and a giant for all effects related to race.
- Half-orcs: Half-orcs receive a bonus feat at 1st level, just like a human. They can additionally use their Strength modifier instead of their Charisma modifier on Intimidate checks. They are treated as being both a human and an orc for all effects related to race. They also gain a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate and Survival checks.
- Orcs: Orcs can use their Strength modifier instead of their Charisma modifier on Intimidate checks. They also gain a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate and Survival checks.

Allowed Classes
Artificer, Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Psion, Psychic Warrior, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Soulknife, Wilder, Wizard.
Some classes have been changed to increase their viability – mostly the no- or low-spellcasting classes in order to try and balance them against high-spellcasting classes – or in other words to try and stave off the almighty power of Clerics, Druids, and Wizards. The changes are as follows:
- Bard: The Bard receives a bonus feat at 1st level, 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter. This may be any feat for which they otherwise meet the prerequisites.
- Fighter: The Fighter class has been completely re-designed from the ground up. See below for further details.
- Monk: The Monk now gets a full BAB progression, as a Fighter.
- Paladin: The Paladin gains a bonus feat chosen from the fighter class list at 2nd, 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th levels, for which they otherwise meet the prerequisites.
- Ranger: Hit Die increases to d10. At 4th level, they can make a Sneak Attack (as a Rogue) for +1d6 damage. The number of dice rolled increases by 1 for every four levels thereafter, to a maximum of +5d6 at 20th level.
- Sorcerer: Sorcerers receive the Eschew Materials feat for free at 1st level. Further, sorcerers now cast Metamagic feats by simply using up an appropriate higher-level spell slot as described by the feat, allowing them to use Quicken Spell (sorcerers no longer take a full-round action to cast metamagic spells). Skill points per level increase to 4 + Intelligence modifier.

Rogue's Fighter Fix
Behold that I have become the latest person to try and fix the Fighter...by taking Pathfinder and then adding some stuff on top of it. My specific thoughts:
- MAD: The ability boost abilities should help mitigate that somewhat.
- Skills: The fighter now has more class skills and more skill points.
- Saves: There's Bravery from Pathfinder. Tough Defense should also help by allowing a Fighter to use Fortitude instead of Reflex or Will a few times per day based on class level. Note that this gives the Fighter an actual incentive to grab levels.
- Boring: Hopefully additional skills coupled with less MAD will allow the Fighter to explore more options. They're still primarily "I attack," I guess, but that's what the class is.

The actual fix:
Hit Die: d10
BAB: Equal to level
Saves: Fort good, Ref and Will poor.
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level.
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Listen, Jump, Ride, Spot, Swim

Class Features
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Fighters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and all shields. Note that armor check penalties apply to many skills, including the following Fighter class skills: Climb, Jump, Ride, and Swim.
- Bonus Feats: At 1st, 2nd, 4th, and every 2 levels thereafter, a Fighter gains a bonus feat, chosen from the following list He must still meet any prerequisites for the chosen feat: Ambidexterity, Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack), Exotic Weapon Proficiency*, Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack), Improved Critical*, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike (Deflect Arrows, Stunning Fist), Mounted Combat (Mounted Archery, Trample, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge), Point Blank Shot (Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shot on the Run), Power Attack (Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Sunder, Great Cleave), Quick Draw, Two- Weapon Fighting (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting), Weapon Finesse*, Weapon Focus*, Weapon Specialization*.
Some of the bonus feats available to a fighter cannot be acquired until the fighter has gained one or more prerequisite feats; these feats are listed parenthetically after the prerequisite feat. A fighter can select feats marked with an asterisk (*) more than once, but it must be for a different weapon each time. A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.
- Bravery (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, fighters get a +1 class bonus to Will saves against Fear effects. This bonus increases at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels.
- Retraining: Beginning at 4th level, whenever a fighter gains a bonus feat, they may choose to swap out one of their previous bonus feats and take a new one as well as get their new bonus feat. So, for example, at 4th level, a fighter that took Weapon Focus (longswords) at 2nd level can ‘retrain’ and take Dodge instead.
- Armor Training (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, whenever a fighter is wearing armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (minimum 0) and increases the maximum dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every 4 levels thereafter, these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum of -4 reduction of armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed. In addition, a fighter can also move at his normal speed while wearing medium armor. At 7th level, a fighter can move at his normal speed while wearing heavy armor.
- Ability Boost (Ex): At 5th level, the fighter can increase his Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution score by 1. He may repeat this at 9th, 13th, and 17th levels.
- Tough Defense: Starting at 8th level, a number of times per day equal to one-half the fighter’s class level, whenever a spell or effect would require the Fighter to make a Reflex save, they may make a Fortitude save instead. At 12th level,, whenever they would make a Will save, once per day they can make a Fortitude save instead.

Prestige Classes
All prestige classes from the books mentioned above are allowed, except the Red Wizard.

Equipment
I'm allowing any equipment from the books above. I'm also allowing the mundane and special items from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, because I like writing the word aspergillum. There are a few small changes, though:
- Ladder, 10 ft: This now costs 5 silver pieces (just over double the cost of a 10-foot pole). It is collapsible via an ingenious gnomish screw system. Assembling or disassembling a 10-foot ladder takes 5 rounds.
- Pole, 10 ft: The ten-foot pole is made up of three sections, each just over a yard in length, which are screwed together. Assembling or disassembling a 10-foot pole takes 3 rounds.
- Skill Kits: Some skill kits require you to use supplies. Eventually, these supplies run out. The following skill kits have enough supplies in them for 10 uses, after which time they must be replaced: Alchemist’s lab, artisan’s tools, climber’s kit, disguise kit, healer’s kit, spell component pouch, thieves’ tools.

I'm also going to be paying close attention to spell components in this campaign, specifically the ones that cost money. Did you know that identify requires not just a 100 gp pearl, but also wine? Did you know that the wine has to be drank each time the spell is cast? Right there in the PHB. All of a sudden, adventurers all coming together at a tavern after a successful dungeon delve makes a lot more sense...

House Rules
There are just some house rules, most of them already de facto used by my gaming group already and simply codified for the first time.

Instant Death: Rolling three natural 20’s in a row on an attack roll is instant death for the target.

Spectacular Failure: We’ll be working with slightly modified d20 failure rules. If you roll a 1 on a d20, you automatically miss, as normal. In addition, you threaten for a spectacular failure.
- Spectacular failure: if you roll a natural 1 on an attack, make the check again. If you still fail on this second check, you have failed spectacularly. Roll on the Spectacular Failures table, below.

Wild Magic: Let’s be honest, magic ain’t fair. To some extent, that’s the point, but this is a game, no real life, and a game needs a sense of balance. So…wild magic. Whenever a creature rolls a 20 on a saving throw against a spell you cast, or you roll a 1 on a caster level check, you suffer from wild magic. The spell you were casting fails, and you take nonlethal damage equal to the spell’s level (adjusted upwards, if you were casting it with a metamagic feat applied to it).

Falling: A character in free-fall falls 500 feet in their first round of falling, and 1000 feet each round thereafter. The actual falling happens on your turn, but can happen at any point in your turn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table: Spectacular Failures
Roll a d%
01-25: You drop your weapon, and your opponent (or you, accidentally) knocks it 1d6+2 squares in a random direction. Roll again if the weapon can’t be dropped.
26-50: You lose your balance. You fall prone unless you succeed at a DC 20 Balance check. Even on a success, you take a -2 to AC until the start of your next turn.
51-75: You expose yourself to attack – badly. Take a -5 to AC until the start of your next turn.
76-85: You manage to twist an ankle or otherwise injure yourself. No hit point damage is dealt, but you suffer from effects similar to fatigue (can’t run or charge, -2 to Strength and Dexterity) until you get 8 hours of rest (note you are not actually fatigued, however, just in a state that is mechanically similar).
86-95: Your weapon breaks. It can still be used, but incurs a -4 penalty to attack and damage rolls, and its special abilities can’t be used (such as fire or keen enchantments), though it retains enhancement bonuses to attack and its masterwork quality. Repairing it costs half as much as the weapon’s cost.
96-97: You accidentally injure yourself with your weapon (no attack roll necessary). Deal damage to yourself with your weapon.
98-99: You accidentally attack an ally. Make a new attack roll against them. Roll again if your allies are out of range of your weapon.
100: Utter Failure. Roll twice. Do not ignore this result if it comes up again, though if it does write “Made of Fail” at the top of your character sheet in addition to rolling two more times. Well done!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yora
2011-06-26, 04:05 AM
Nothing really unusual there.

However, in Eberron 7th level characters are already quite high. Level 1st to 8th are the usual range for NPCs with really just a very small number of really exceptional individuals at higher levels. I'd recommend starting at 4th or 5th, but you could also decide to raise the average level of NPCs for your campaign. Or you already decided that the PCs start as legendary heroes.

I think it would be a better idea to just reduce LA by 1 instead of completely ignoring it. Most LA +1 races are really not worth the +1, but drow are really much more powerful than the LA +0 races. If someone plays a drow, +2 would be quite steep, but LA +1 seems really neccessary. +4 to ability scores and 11+HD spell resistance are really big things.

Rogue Shadows
2011-06-26, 09:02 AM
Mmn, good point on the LA...

The reason why I'm starting the campaign relatively high is because of the Gauntlet Legends aspect. I *might* be planning on giving the players four of the nine artifacts from that game (they'll kind of get to choose based on which dungeons they choose to go to - and four of the remaining five will be going to the Rival Party)

The weakest one I've made so far is still a +2 dragonbane frost greataxe that can cast true strike 1/day, and the most powerful of which is probably the scroll that, once read over a 3-day period, gives the reader the Fire domain as long as they keep the scroll on them (even if they aren't clerics; they gain the ability to cast spells from that domain as a Sorcerer of equal level, though they're restricted to casting each spell only once per day and can only cast them if they're high-enough level - and yes, they also gain the granted turning/rebuking power).

I'm planning on having them start at 7th, as well, because the idea is that they're well-seasoned adventurers who have already done much in the world. I'm putting together a list of adventures they've already gone on, things they've already done, enemies they've already made, etc.

McSmack
2011-06-26, 10:43 AM
Most of these rules look pretty good. If you're starting the adventure in Stormreach and plan on adventuring in Xendrik, you might look at getting access to the sourcebooks for those two places. Both books have some nice adventure seeds in them, and Secrets of Xendrik has 4 or 5 interesting artifacts and even some guidelines for artifact spells.

Rogue Shadows
2011-06-26, 10:50 AM
Most of these rules look pretty good. If you're starting the adventure in Stormreach and plan on adventuring in Xendrik, you might look at getting access to the sourcebooks for those two places. Both books have some nice adventure seeds in them, and Secrets of Xendrik has 4 or 5 interesting artifacts and even some guidelines for artifact spells.

I have, and will be using, both City of Stormreach and Secrets of Xen'drik...actually I have access through either my own collection or my friends', most of of 3.5 edition's publishing history.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'm also using D&D Online for inspiration - for quests Our Heroes have been on, if not for tone or setting.

As for the rival adventuring party...the goal is to make them the Bellocs to my players' Indiana Jones. They've constantly been running into each other, going after the same artifacts, beating one another to dungeons, and so on. The two groups have a history, and I'm going to introduce them by going "ugh...not these guys again."

So they need to be memorable. On that note, how does a LE Empty Vessel psion, CN tibbit beguiler, LN hobgoblin knight, N half-giant favored soul, CN tiefling battle dancer, and N changeling eclipser sound?

Oh...tibbits and battle dancers are from the Dragon Magazine Compendium, and the eclipser is something I'll be posting over in homebrew in a moment. It's a shadow-magic using class (a la Tome of Magic) that's like the Sorcerer to the Shadowcaster's wizard.