PDA

View Full Version : Rogue sneak attack rule

Sarquion
2011-06-26, 12:26 PM
Me and my friends are unable to decide exactly how sneak attack bonus is applied. We know when it is, but not how. Is it:

1. All attacks are made and damage is rolled then you roll the sneak attack damage if you have one successful hit?

or

2. All attacks are made then roll damage plus sneak attack for each hit
So if you hit twice would you roll two weapon damage dice + two times the number of sneak attack dice?

I couldn't find a question and answer forum so sorry for posting an entire forum to answer one question but i do need help!

Many thanks

averagejoe
2011-06-26, 12:28 PM
2. All attacks are made then roll damage plus sneak attack for each hit
So if you hit twice would you roll two weapon damage dice + two times the number of sneak attack dice?

This one. Though note that SA damage isn't multiplied on a crit.

Edit: Though there are no rules for when to make attack/damage rolls; this usually goes by player/table preference. Some people like to roll damage after each attack, so they can use their next attack in as informed a way as possible. Others like to make all attack rolls at once, then roll for damage, because it's faster.

Sarquion
2011-06-26, 12:36 PM
Thanks a lot really appreciated.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-26, 12:55 PM
Sneak attack is bonus damage applied to any attack that meets the criteria.

You can roll sneak attack damage more than once on a full attack.

Warlawk
2011-06-26, 01:02 PM
Just a note here... AverageJoe might be wrong.

Why you ask? Because you never told us what version of D&D you're playing.

The above answer is correct for 3.X.

In 4E you can only use sneak attack one time per round.

That's why it's important to let people know what game you're asking about, or post in the correct forums. There are specific forums for both 3.5 and for 4e though I'm a bit confused why I'm the one pointing this out when a mod has already been in the thread.

EDIT: Swordsaged by another 3.5 answer. Both the above are correct for 3.5 but not 4e.

RebelRogue
2011-06-26, 01:25 PM
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, you can sneak attack one time pr. turn, not round in 4e now.

averagejoe
2011-06-26, 03:48 PM
Just a note here... AverageJoe might be wrong.

Why you ask? Because you never told us what version of D&D you're playing.

The above answer is correct for 3.X.

In 4E you can only use sneak attack one time per round.

That's why it's important to let people know what game you're asking about, or post in the correct forums. There are specific forums for both 3.5 and for 4e though I'm a bit confused why I'm the one pointing this out when a mod has already been in the thread.

EDIT: Swordsaged by another 3.5 answer. Both the above are correct for 3.5 but not 4e.

Yeah, good point.

Though, to be fair, we mods are sometimes fallible. Especially when I'm posting for fun/profit and not actually having something called to my attention.