PDA

View Full Version : Hellbred: Template vs. Race

ClothedInVelvet
2011-06-26, 05:41 PM
Playground,

I'm working on creating an adventure, and my players are going to run into a powerful lich whose help they need. In order to get their help, he's going to make them kill his enemy (who in life was his assistant but died and came back as a hellbred to eliminate the evil he helped create). So I'm building a level 10 Hellbred spirit, probably Warlock 10.

First, any tips on creating a hellbred?

Second, is it a race or a template? It looks most like a race, but it's missing crucial details (like size), and it talks about the process of becoming a hellbred (scourging). It even says "they do not lose the ability to speak languages they previously knew before the Scourging" (FCII). So do I choose a race, build the character, then throw the template on top?

Third, he's chaotic good now, let me know if you've got interesting plot elements that would go well in my adventure.

MammonAzrael
2011-06-26, 07:36 PM
Be prepared for your players to not be willing to help/get help from a lich. You know your group better, of course, but sometimes players will just not take the path you intended!

Hellbred are a race. Templates have a very different...template. The only reason to chose the race he was previously is if his previous life of helping the lich is relevant to his race at all. No matter what, it won't change a thing about his hellbred incarnation.

Warlock is an interesting choice I'm assuming you're using alternate fluff (not demon blood), seeing as how he doesn't have any ancestors? Warlocks have a number of different build options, depending on if you want him to be stealthy, melee, sniper, debuffer, etc. Frankly, I don't think the flavor mixes too well, as the Hellbred are striving to redeem their souls, and Warlocks and their powers are...dubious. Personally I'd go with a Crusader, but that's up to you. Warlock does enable him to escape pretty well.

Psyren
2011-06-26, 09:06 PM
Hellbred are a race, similar to Elans and Necropolitans - they are their own race, altered so heavily from the source material that they become something entirely new and have no characteristics of their former existences.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-06-26, 09:15 PM
I'm hoping my players won't help the lich. My adventure is set out pretty linearly, but I'm trying to get my players to think outside the box and come up with ideas that I don't present to them.

My warlock would be CG, but warlock would be refluffed to be a sort of mage who has gained powers from demonic association (in hell).

So which size are hellbred?

Thurbane
2011-06-26, 09:46 PM
Hellbred are Medium size.

FWIW, I think Hellbred would have worked much better as a template than as a new race. The fluff and even some of the mechanics are far better suited to being a template, IMHO.

faceroll
2011-06-27, 06:16 AM
Hellbred are Medium size.

FWIW, I think Hellbred would have worked much better as a template than as a new race. The fluff and even some of the mechanics are far better suited to being a template, IMHO.

Something like Dragonborn.

Boci
2011-06-27, 06:34 AM
I'm hoping my players won't help the lich. My adventure is set out pretty linearly, but I'm trying to get my players to think outside the box and come up with ideas that I don't present to them.

My warlock would be CG, but warlock would be refluffed to be a sort of mage who has gained powers from demonic association (in hell).

So which size are hellbred?

Medium I would assume.

Hellbred are a race, similar to Elans and Necropolitans - they are their own race, altered so heavily from the source material that they become something entirely new and have no characteristics of their former existences.

Necropolitant is a template.

Thurbane
2011-06-27, 05:18 PM
Something like Dragonborn.
Exactly.

Thing that amuses me about Hellbred is that the only "carryover" from their previous life is languages known. I wonder how many players have asked their DM if they could have been a 20th level Bard in their previous life, who spent most of his skill points on Speak Language. :smalltongue: