PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Class Skill System

Larpus
2011-06-26, 11:33 PM
Ok, I've searched around but couldn't find a definitive answer on this issue:

Exactly how does the class skill thing works in Pathfinder?

I mean, sure, you get a +3 bonus on your class skills, but does that:

1. Only apply for skills that you have at least 1 rank.

2. Apply for all skills, so ever an untrained one will be rolled at +3.

3. Not only apply for untrained skills, but also actually make such skills count as 'trained', so any Rogue can do a Disable Device check, even if he has 0 ranks in it.

That would be all, the way it's written in the core handbook it's rather ambiguous and hidden since I can't seem to be able to find it again, but it's not under Skills nor Class.

Bhaakon
2011-06-26, 11:43 PM
From, the PFsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills#TOC-Skill-Description-Format):

In addition, each class has a number of favored skills, called class skills. It is easier for your character to become more proficient in these skills, as they represent part of his professional training and constant practice. You gain a +3 bonus on all class skills that you put ranks into.

The the 3-rank bonus doesn't activate until/unless you've put one of more ranks into a skill. Meaning that you can't use trained-only skills without putting ranks in.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-26, 11:44 PM
You have to have at last one rank in the class skill to get the +3 bonus for it, and you have to have at least one rank to count as trained.

Larpus
2011-06-27, 12:14 AM
Ah, thank you very much, I totally missed that last line.

Also, I was wrong yet again, as it indeed is under Skills, missed it 'cus I expected special mention with bolded text and all that.

Paul H
2011-06-29, 06:22 PM
Hi

If you put a skill rank in an untrained skill doesn't make you skilled. Just means you get a roll.

If you don't put a rank in an unskilled skill, you normally can't use it. If you put a rank in a trained skill, you get a miscellaneous +3 to the skill.

You don't get 4 times skill points at first level. (as in 3.5).

Thanks
Paul H
PS There are Traits that can make you trained in certain skills.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-29, 06:27 PM
Hi

If you put a skill rank in an untrained skill doesn't make you skilled. Just means you get a roll.

If you don't put a rank in an unskilled skill, you normally can't use it. If you put a rank in a trained skill, you get a miscellaneous +3 to the skill.

You don't get 4 times skill points at first level. (as in 3.5).

Thanks
Paul H
PS There are Traits that can make you trained in certain skills.

What? That's not how it works. You have class skills, cross-class skills, trained skills, and untrained skills. If you put a rank in a skill, you're trained in it. :smallconfused:

Unseenmal
2011-06-30, 12:50 PM
I'm in a PF game right now and if we read the rules right, you only get the +3 if it is a class skill. Cross class skills do not apply to that bonus

Blisstake
2011-06-30, 12:54 PM
I'm in a PF game right now and if we read the rules right, you only get the +3 if it is a class skill. Cross class skills do not apply to that bonus

If cross-class skills did apply that bonus, there woudln't be any difference between the two :smallsmile:

Unseenmal
2011-06-30, 01:09 PM
If cross-class skills did apply that bonus, there woudln't be any difference between the two :smallsmile:

True but I brought it up because one of the players tried to convince me otherwise. He said that if you are trained in it by having the rank then you get the +3 no matter what.

Curious
2011-06-30, 01:27 PM
True but I brought it up because one of the players tried to convince me otherwise. He said that if you are trained in it by having the rank then you get the +3 no matter what.

Hahaha. . . No. The entire system is pretty simple. If a skill is a class skill, you get a +3 for putting at least 1 rank into it. If it is not a class skill, you don't get a +3. End of story.

Paul H
2011-07-04, 05:59 AM
Hahaha. . . No. The entire system is pretty simple. If a skill is a class skill, you get a +3 for putting at least 1 rank into it. If it is not a class skill, you don't get a +3. End of story.

Hi

Exactly

Thanks
Paul H

SeemosYantra
2015-03-12, 07:37 PM
In this regard, there is something I always wondered regarding how exactly the Skill System works in Pathfinder regarding crossclassing. For a long time, I assumed that when you crossclass, the class skills of the second class add on top to the "total list" of class skills available. However, many Traits from Ultimate Campaign and other books give traits that grant class skills with the text "xxx skill is now ALWAYS a class skill". What does THAT means? Does it mean that class skills CEASE to be class skills when you cross class or something? If that's so, then it means the +3 Bonus on the Class Skills that do not belong to the secondary class is "deactivated" or something similar until you take a new level on the original class? I would be very thankfull if someone clarifies this to me.