PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Archer

Elric VIII
2011-06-26, 11:46 PM
I would like to put together a Psionic Archer build that uses arrows with the Dissolving Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dissolvingWeapon.htm) power on his arrows.

I have a few problems of what exactly to do about the base class. Although I want to lose no more than 2 ML.

Here are my pros for the various classes.
Wilder:

Charming the Arrow for Cha to attack
Slippers of Battledancing for Cha to atk and dmg with a thrown dagger (EK Hustle for full attacks).
Wild Surge means more damage from augmenting Dissolving Weapon.
Medium BAB.

Ardent:

Zen Archery for Wis to atk.
Flexible power choices via Mantle Substitution.
Powers Known mechanic favorable to multiclassing (fighter dips, etc).
Medium BAB

Psion:

Knowledge Devotion + Int-based manifesting to supplement attack/damage.
Control Body adds Int to attack/damage (since it doesn't specify only melee attacks).
More powers known than Ardent or Wilder.

Erudite:

Same pros as Psion.
Spell-to-Power for Arrow Mind (and other spells I havent looked int yet).
Free Psicrystal to use with Control Body.

Does anyone have any advice on which class to use?

Has Control Body been errata'd to use primary manifesting stat (for Wilders/Ardents)?

Is there any general advice that can be offered for archer builds, such as feats, items, etc?

Yora
2011-06-27, 01:51 AM
Why not just be Psychic Warrior, that spares you the Expanded Knowledge feat.

HunterOfJello
2011-06-27, 02:05 AM
This thread should probably include some sort of mention to the Soulbow PrC, even though it's not really a psionic class as far as using powers go.

There, I mentioned it.

MeeposFire
2011-06-27, 05:13 AM
This thread should probably include some sort of mention to the Soulbow PrC, even though it's not really a psionic class as far as using powers go.

There, I mentioned it.

Well you do get one with the hidden talent ACF and then you could spend feats to get more if you really wanted to.

faceroll
2011-06-27, 05:46 AM
If you're going to be putting all your damage into a single arrow with that power, I would pick up psionic shot, greater psionic shot, fell shot, psicrystal affinity, psionic meditation and psicrystal containment.

That gets you two psionic foci, so you can fire an arrow with +4d6 from feats that's a touch attack, and refocus yourself next round as a move action, so you can throw that +4d6 on there again.

With the psionic power hustle, you can refocus your psicrystal as well, and keep making touch attacks.

I would go with psionic warrior, as you get two bonus feats right out the gate, good powers, and can pick up zen archery for wisdom synergy.

Psyren
2011-06-27, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure this would work the way you want it to; even if you can stretch it to apply to ammunition, it would still only charge the one arrow you're holding, meaning that you'd have to manifest it for every single shot. And you can manifest in the morning but you'd of course burn through your PP pretty fast that way.

Assuming your DM overlooks that issue, however, my advice is to go with a Ranger 2/Psion/Slayer build. Starting with Ranger will get you a boatload of skill points (due to your high Int) as well as the Track feat you need for Slayer and a free archery feat.

Elric VIII
2011-06-27, 11:31 AM
If you're going to be putting all your damage into a single arrow with that power, I would pick up psionic shot, greater psionic shot, fell shot, psicrystal affinity, psionic meditation and psicrystal containment.

I could use this, especially since they're meant to use hit-and-run tactics. They will have plenty of time to refocus.

I'm not sure this would work the way you want it to; even if you can stretch it to apply to ammunition, it would still only charge the one arrow you're holding, meaning that you'd have to manifest it for every single shot. And you can manifest in the morning but you'd of course burn through your PP pretty fast that way.

Assuming your DM overlooks that issue, however, my advice is to go with a Ranger 2/Psion/Slayer build. Starting with Ranger will get you a boatload of skill points (due to your high Int) as well as the Track feat you need for Slayer and a free archery feat.

This is a good idea, I think I'll go for this.

I am the DM and I'm designing the various units for the occupying enemy army that is the focus of the campaign.

Although, this build could work for a player if he just uses all of his downtime and PP at the end of the day manifesting on each arrow. It's not great, but it is more powerful than Fighter 20, because of magic.