PDA

View Full Version : Flooded corridor + dry pit trap = DM headache

Savannah
2011-06-27, 01:39 AM
Say you have a dungeon corridor with a really, really well made pit trap in it. Say the dungeon corridor was recently flooded to about knee deep on a medium creature. Since the pit trap is really, really well made, it's mostly water-tight and so is not significantly flooded. Now say a character triggers the pit trap.

What happens? Obviously, they and water go crashing into the pit, while the trapped air bubbles up around them (and they have an easier time than normal getting out of the pit due to it filling with water once it's opened). But what damage do they take? Less than normal due to the water that comes with them cushioning their landing somewhat? More than normal due to the water landing on top of them? Normal due to the above balancing out? And are there any other differences from normal that I haven't thought of?

Yora
2011-06-27, 01:47 AM
I would say normal damage. Though I would also have the characters standing 5 ft next to the trap also make a Reflex save with a DC -5 and those standing 10 ft. away at -10, as they are dragged along with the water. Also maybe increase the DC for the character triggering the trap by +2, as it will be very difficult to jump away at the very last moment.

Lady Moreta
2011-06-27, 02:06 AM
I'd agree with Yora... I think normal damage, since the water and the person would likely hit the floor at the same time. Definitely have the possibility for others to be swept in. Perhaps a fort save against drowning/swallowing lots of water as the rest of it cascades over them...

There. Happy now? :smalltongue:

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-27, 03:41 AM
Definitely normal damage. It's not that much of a headache if you obey physics and all objects no matter how heavy fall at the same rate. So the person would hit the ground at the same time the water would, taking normal damage then floating up with the water as it fills the pit.

Killer Angel
2011-06-27, 03:47 AM
Less than normal due to the water that comes with them cushioning their landing somewhat?

If someone is dragged in the pit by the water and wasn't directly standing on the trap, than yes, the water could soften the fall. Subdual damage?

faceroll
2011-06-27, 05:37 AM
What's the trigger mechanism for the pit trap? Assuming it's about 80 lbs, so you can catch lightfooted halfling rogues and the like, then 10 gallons of water on the trap will spring it.

Here's what 10 gallons looks like. (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/5d/5d67092e-8433-4dd6-a4f4-62ba058f5ae3_300.jpg)

Flooding the hallway to knee depth, assuming knee deep is 2 feet, and the trap is a 5'x5' square, means there's 50 cubic feet of water on the trap. One cubic foot of water weighs 62 lbs, so there's about 3100lbs of water on your trap.

Damn water's heavy.

panaikhan
2011-06-27, 07:35 AM
The pit trigger could be a tripwire - under the surface of the water, that would be incredibly hard to spot.
As for damage. I'd say it did the same amount as it would without the water, but half is real and half is subdual (to represent the drop, the buffeting, and the lessened falling impact).
Then, i'd have the PC's roll swim checks for turbulent water vs drowning :smallamused:

Darcand
2011-06-27, 08:31 AM
I'd say the first person takes normal fall damage, and anyone swept in after takes reduced damage BUT causes falling object damage to the last person who fell in before them.

Savannah
2011-06-27, 01:46 PM
What's the trigger mechanism for the pit trap?

Don't worry, it's set to recognize living creatures (the owner of the dungeon is undead :smallbiggrin:).

So it looks like it'll be normal damage, increased Reflex DC to resist, a chance of pulling in other characters (who will take less damage due to water already being in the pit), and Swim checks as for turbulent water while the pit is filling. Thanks!