PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD: Changeling]Autumn Mantle Redux[PEACH]

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-27, 11:58 AM
Even the TVTropes page agrees that the Autumn Mantle presented in Changeling: the Lost is a little...underwhelming. One might even say that it sucks. So here I present, for your view, use, and PEACH, my version of the mechanical benefits of being an Ashen Courtier.

Autumn Mantle
* - At the first dot of Mantle, an Ashen Courtier develops an affinity for the methods of his Court; he gains a specialty in either Investigation or Intimidation.

*** - As his mantle grows, the Autumn Courtier develops an innate resistance to hostile sorceries; he gains a two-die bonus on Resolve, Stamina, and/or Composure rolls to resist supernatural abilities and effects. Additionally, he treats those traits as being two dots higher when subtracting them from the die pool of supernatural abilities (for example, if a Contract would normally subtract its victims' Composure from its dice pool, it instead subtracts the Autumn Courtier's [Composure + 2]).

***** - An Ashen Courtier at this level of Mantle is truly a master of sorcery; once per day, he may re-roll the relevant dice pool to activate one of his Contracts. The results of the second roll stand.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-07-03, 03:01 PM
I'm not a good judge of game balance, but this seems like a better version of the Mantle than what's already there.

Friv
2011-07-04, 12:03 AM
I'm not a good judge of game balance, but this seems like a better version of the Mantle than what's already there.

The existing Autumn Mantle is quite underpowered when compared to the other three seasons. Generally, any houserules involving it boost it.

Now, with that in mind:

Mantle 1 is very good. Mantle 3 is too powerful, I think - I would reduce it to a +1 bonus, which reflects the other mantle bonuses better.

Mantle 5 is much too powerful. Compare to the closest equivalent, Spring, which only provides a reroll on first impressions or the first social roll you ever make with someone. (Or compare to Summer 5, and ask what you'd rather have - +1 Health or a free reroll of any Contract every day). Could I suggest, if you want the magical approach, Mantle 5 granting +1 to the character's maximum Glamour pool?

Lord_Gareth
2011-07-04, 08:45 AM
The existing Autumn Mantle is quite underpowered when compared to the other three seasons. Generally, any houserules involving it boost it.

Now, with that in mind:

Mantle 1 is very good. Mantle 3 is too powerful, I think - I would reduce it to a +1 bonus, which reflects the other mantle bonuses better.

Sounds good, will do!

Mantle 5 is much too powerful. Compare to the closest equivalent, Spring, which only provides a reroll on first impressions or the first social roll you ever make with someone. (Or compare to Summer 5, and ask what you'd rather have - +1 Health or a free reroll of any Contract every day). Could I suggest, if you want the magical approach, Mantle 5 granting +1 to the character's maximum Glamour pool?

+1 Glamour Pool doesn't seem quite as impressive as +1 Health does, considering the focus; what if I let them spend an additional Glamour per turn, making Autumn Courtiers sorcerers par excellence?

Friv
2011-07-04, 10:22 PM
+1 Glamour Pool doesn't seem quite as impressive as +1 Health does, considering the focus; what if I let them spend an additional Glamour per turn, making Autumn Courtiers sorcerers par excellence?

That could certainly work - Glamour/turn isn't as strict a cap for changelings as it is for folks like vampires, so the +1 isn't likely to seriously unbalance the game.

Friv
2011-07-04, 10:24 PM

That could certainly work - Glamour/turn isn't as strict a cap for changelings as it is for folks like vampires, so the +1 isn't likely to seriously unbalance the game.

Friv
2011-07-04, 10:53 PM