PDA

View Full Version : Need to Avoid Looking At Things [PF]

subject42
2011-06-27, 03:42 PM
I've recently started playing a new campaign and it looks like we're going to have a rough time of things soon.

We're about to enter and ransack a recently-discovered pyramid, but as usual, there's a curse.

Apparently there are four glyphs in the pyramid, and if you see all four, you turn into some sort of horrifying zombie thing that lives only to kill your former party members.

Given that tombs like this are full of paintings, carvings, and twisty corridors, the likelihood of seeing these glyphs is fairly high. Naturally, I'd like to avoid having any of the party members become a horrifying zombie thing, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to be effectively blind without walking off a cliff.

Party is 7th level:
Psychic Warrior (Dreamscarred Press)
Witch
Oracle (Blindness curse, Time mystery)

All Paizo and Dreamscarred material from the Pathfinder SRD (htpp://www.pathfindersd.com) is allowed.

Any ideas?

McSmack
2011-06-27, 03:47 PM
well you could blindfold a couple of party members then switch out after each floor/wing. Just remember who was blindfolded where and you'll be okay.

I'm hoping you'll be able to recognize these glyphs when you see them? If so have one of the character's who's not blindfolded destroy the glyph once they see it, so that there's no chance the blindfolded party members can ever see all four. This is assuming that there's only one copy of each glyph.

Traab
2011-06-27, 03:50 PM
I've recently started playing a new campaign and it looks like we're going to have a rough time of things soon.

We're about to enter and ransack a recently-discovered pyramid, but as usual, there's a curse.

Apparently there are four glyphs in the pyramid, and if you see all four, you turn into some sort of horrifying zombie thing that lives only to kill your former party members.

Given that tombs like this are full of paintings, carvings, and twisty corridors, the likelihood of seeing these glyphs is fairly high. Naturally, I'd like to avoid having any of the party members become a horrifying zombie thing, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to be effectively blind without walking off a cliff.

Party is 7th level:
Witch

All Paizo and Dreamscarred material from the Pathfinder SRD (htpp://www.pathfindersd.com) is allowed.

Any ideas?

Is there any sign that one of the 4 glyphs has been seen? If so, then you can alternate party members in the lead. When the first glyph is triggered, player one will take it upon himself to destroy the glyph somehow so noone else will see it. Then switch the person in front. That way nobody will see all 4 glyphs.

Another option is a bit more dicey. Can this effect be cured before it takes full effect? If so, can anyone in your party remove curses? If so then every couple rooms have your decurser cast it on everyone to hopefully disrupt the effect.

Gnaeus
2011-06-27, 03:52 PM
... Naturally, I'd like to avoid having any of the party members become a horrifying zombie thing, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to be effectively blind without walking off a cliff.

Party is 7th level:
Witch

Any ideas?

Witch could have a bat familiar. Go into every encounter with eyes closed until familiar (who has blindsense) tells you to open.

Walk around with an unstoppered eversmoking bottle. Sure, you can't see, but neither can anyone trying to hit you.

Walking around looking through a mirror might or might not work. See if a Spellcraft check will tell you.

subject42
2011-06-27, 04:01 PM
To answer your questions:

We know what three of the glyphs look like. We do not know how many instances of each glyph exist. Knowing our luck, the very bottom room of the dungeon will have all four glyphs carved into a wall in the shape of a middle finger.

I know of no way that this effect can be cured. We met an NPC who was terrified of seeing the fourth glyph after seeing the first three, so he lives as a shut-in with a blindfold.

To our knowledge, we will only know that we have seen a glyph if we recognize it as one of the three that had been described to us by the NPC.

The witch already has a cat familiar.

My current idea is the following:

I will go in first with a push broom and several barrels of tar. I have a psicrystal that can direct me if I have my eyes closed while slopping down the walls and ceilings as best as possible.

All three of us have good perception checks, so we'll listen for danger as best as possible, and possibly have somebody tapping the floor ahead of us with a 10' pole.

In combat, we'll have to look around, but I'll personally try to mitigate the danger by manifesting synesthete from a dorje.

Retech
2011-06-27, 06:42 PM
Well, do you really need sight?

subject42
2011-06-27, 06:45 PM
Well, do you really need sight?

When we end up fighting a zombie, or a golem, or a golemzombie, or a zombiegolem, the answer is probably yes. That 50% miss chance is a monster.

Other than that it's not 100% necessary, but probably useful for traps.

Retech
2011-06-27, 06:51 PM
Well, how about this. You could have a partially transparent blindfold that allows you to see shadows, thus only about partial concealment. The glyphs would be concealed enough that you don't actually see them, even if you recognize their general shape.

Though probably something you want to run by your DM.

Xanmyral
2011-06-27, 06:55 PM
Woah-wait-what? You've already seen three of them? That's not good. Trip one more and that's it. Who in the party has seen the glyphs? Isolate them, as they are at most risk for turning. Chances are, there are multiples of the glyph, and yeah it does seem likely that all four are probably at the end or something. If everyone has seen those three... Well, sounds like your screwed if you don't play it safe. You really have three options that I see if only a few of your party has seen the glyphs. Blindfold the ones who have seen the glyphs so they don't turn and have the ones who haven't seen the three lead them. This could backfire if you see those three again however... Another options is to blindfold the ones who haven't seen the three and be lead by those who have seen the three, destroying them as they go along until they reach far enough that you think you might see the forth, and switch off. Chances are however, the glyphs won't be put in order though, unless the person who made the tomb was prideful or wanted to mess with the people in it. Last option, blindfold everyone.

subject42
2011-06-27, 07:01 PM
Woah-wait-what? You've already seen three of them?

We haven't seen any of the glyphs. We've just had descriptions of them from someone who has. I'll remember that advice if it comes to that, though.