PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pantheons?

Maximus:Ranger
2011-06-27, 04:02 PM
What are your favorite set of gods to use in a D&D campaign and why?
(Examples would be the gods in the PHB/DMG, the Norse gods, Greek gods, Celtic gods, etc)

Hatchet91
2011-06-27, 04:31 PM
ME.

because dm is god ! he can stop the minotaur in his tracks and sap the strength out of its swings. or the dm can cause and stop storms he narrates when the random encounter that was rolled some how passes by and leaves the sleeping camp alone.

there for the DM is god

but for all role playing purposes i like the phb or the eberron gods

dsmiles
2011-06-27, 04:43 PM
Forgotten Realms. They make the most sense to me.

Tekren
2011-06-27, 04:47 PM
Out of all the premade pantheons, i use standard D&D PHB dieties.

That being said, I prefer to make and use my own.

Rogue Shadows
2011-06-27, 06:30 PM
...I...

...uh...

...I kind of like the 4E pantheon...

Mind you, I am not a fan of 4E in general for many and varied reasons mostly detailed by other people at this site (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/creations.html), but I did like the 4E default pantheon as compared to the 3.X default pantheon. It felt tighter and more thought-out on the whole, with more note given to how the gods interact with everyday mortals as well as adventurers.

Outside of that...eh, I can take or leave any pantheon, and I usually create my own for my own campaign settings.

Notreallyhere77
2011-06-27, 07:06 PM
I also make my own. Some gods last longer than others, some only make it through one campaign.

SurlySeraph
2011-06-27, 07:18 PM
The Incursion deities (http://www.incursion-roguelike.org/man/Pantheon.html) are fun, mostly because they're almost all subversions of a "typical" pantheon (i.e. the elven god is evil, the main god of light and war is evil, the god of death is good, the Lovecraftian god is Lawful Good, etc.) I also love the (pre-4E) Forgotten Realms pantheon, though it has more natural and paladin-ish deities than really necessary.

Welknair
2011-06-27, 07:25 PM
I'm a fan of the Hellenic pantheon. Mostly because of all of the legends surrounding it. And because it goes so well with my Half Blood bloodline.

Anxe
2011-06-28, 12:25 PM
I've been using the Greek Pantheon for years and my players like it. The lore for other pantheons has always seemed less accessible to me. Everyone knows who the Greek gods are.

Talya
2011-06-28, 12:34 PM
Forgotten Realms. They make the most sense to me.

So long as one specifies 3e, after the time of troubles, prior to Midnight-Mystra's assassination. Good pick.

Also, Norse is not far behind.

JonestheSpy
2011-06-28, 12:38 PM
I really like the old Greyhawk gods - many of whom were incorporated into 3rd edition. They left a lot of my favorites out though: Trithereon, Celestian, Wastri, and Iuz, to name a few. I also liked that they weren't just a single pantheon, but rather different deities were worshiped by the various ethnic groups of the continent - the Flannae, Oeridian, Suloise, etc.

Terraoblivion
2011-06-28, 01:04 PM
Personally I can only think of two D&D settings which handled religion remotely well and those are Eberron and Ravenloft. The reason for that is simple, they are the only ones to treat it as actual religion and giving any focus at all on theology and liturgy. All other settings treat the gods as essentially superbeings that you choose one of to root for, but gives little to no actual support for what that means in daily life. These serious lacks just completely and utterly kill religion for me when dealing with D&D outside these settings, to the degree that I can't actually play a moderately or more strongly religious character in D&D. I don't even know how relatinoships between religions work in a practical sense or why 90% of all evil gods would have actual worshippers.

Yora
2011-06-28, 01:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of animistic cosmologies, which have lots of demigods but very distant true deities.

But of those settings with personal gods, I know the FR pantheons best, and theres some really nice stuff in there.

dsmiles
2011-06-28, 03:21 PM
So long as one specifies 3e, after the time of troubles, prior to Midnight-Mystra's assassination. Good pick.You mean there's a different one? :smallwink:

I really like the old Greyhawk gods - many of whom were incorporated into 3rd edition. They left a lot of my favorites out though: Trithereon, Celestian, Wastri, and Iuz, to name a few. I also liked that they weren't just a single pantheon, but rather different deities were worshiped by the various ethnic groups of the continent - the Flannae, Oeridian, Suloise, etc.Living Greyhawk Gazeteer has all the Greyhawk deities. Except maybe Trithereon.

Zombimode
2011-06-28, 03:44 PM
I like the Tamrielian* Pantheon very much.

Well, I like the whole metaphysics of this setting.

The Tribunal + Dagoth Ur is especialy interessting.
Of course one could say they are not really gods, but what constitutes as a god in this setting is not easily answered.
But if you consider Faerunian gods like Torm as gods, then Vivec and pals definately count.

*Morrowind standart. I dont care much for anything else. In my opinion the series had reached its peak with Morrowind concering the lore and the quality of the setting in general.

Edit: I apparently failed at reading comprehension, as D&D gods were specificly called for in the op. Never mind then.

oxybe
2011-06-28, 03:54 PM
the Athas pantheon.

Notreallyhere77
2011-06-28, 04:28 PM
the Athas pantheon.

So... the minimalist approach?
Or are you referring to the sorcerer-kings?

oxybe
2011-06-28, 04:54 PM
"minimalist" would describe my attitude toward dieties.

i honestly don't care much for deities in my campaign settings. when i do include them they're more of an afterthought, as in that i build the religious organization and then create a deity for it, but it never actually interacts with the world in the "FR-Gods-Walk-Among-Men" type of deal.

otherwise the closest thing to "gods" that i do use are simply elementals or some sort of spirit/fey that the locals have deified in their minds since it can provide a service that helps them:

a water elemental could be considered a local "god" since it prevents the riverbed from flooding and provides irrigation for the fields.

earth elemental "gods" would keep local trade routes clear and safe while providing sustenance to the crops.

air elementals would guide rain to the village when needed or lessen the brunt of destructive weather systems, as well as provide wind for ship's sails and faster travel.

fire elementals would provide a sort of hearth for the village and protect it from beasts or invaders, as well and aid the metal, clay, etc... craftsmen in their trade

but actual "rains down thunderbolts to smite the unfaithful" type gods?

meh.

dsmiles
2011-06-28, 05:01 PM
"minimalist" would describe my attitude toward dieties.

but actual "rains down thunderbolts to smite the unfaithful" type gods?
On the other hand, I tend to use a lot of deities, and the "distant and aloof" approach. The only interaction between deities and mankind (as in: all the sentient races, not just humans) is granting clerics/paladins (or druids/rangers for nature deities) their spells and powers. Of course, they can take them away as well, but it's never happened in a game I was DMing. They're just too disinterested in mankind.

But in the 4e campaign setting I'm working on, there are no deities (and therefore no Divine power source classes).

Notreallyhere77
2011-06-28, 05:37 PM
Well, in my most recent setting, it's mostly animist, but there are a few tight pantheons and one looser pantheon that all live in the Spirit World, and would rather observe mortals than interact with them. If they do interact, it's usually through servants, supernatural or otherwise. On occasion, they might send an avatar down to talk, or come down to travel among mortals, like when Thor traveled with Loki (and Thailfi and Roskva) just for a change of pace.

But I think we're digressing a little bit from the OP. If I had to use a published set of gods, I'd prefer to use ones that I know a lot about. That leaves Norse and Greek. And Norse is more metal, so I'd proabably go with that.

Rogue Shadows
2011-06-28, 05:44 PM
Oh! I almost forgot. I rather like the pantheon from Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim:

- Agrela, goddess of life
- Krypta, goddess of death
- Dauros, god of order
- Fervus, god of chaos
- Heilia, goddess of the sun
- Lunord, god of the moon
- Krolm, god of the wild places and the creator deity.

Then there are also mentions of other gods in monster's descriptions, most noteably Grum Gog, the goblin god and god of pestilence.

Maximus:Ranger
2011-06-28, 06:00 PM
I myself like to use different Pantheons worshiped in different regions most polytheistic religions like the Greek Norse and Egyptian gods exsist in my campaign the extent of their power depends on the amount of followers they have. I made it so that other races like orcs and elves got their own deities from very powerful members of their race reaching godhood and demons and devils are worshiped (like orcus who is in fact the roman god of death anyways). And on the prime material plane lives beings older than gods and perhaps older than time. They are called guardians and protect forests deserts rivers mountains and more. They come in many forms but are similar in their feirce protectiveness of their allotted kingdoms.

Captain Six
2011-06-28, 06:24 PM
Most polytheistic pantheons hit an uncomfortable middle ground for me. They are human enough to see as a person but so distant as to feel apathetic. I just can't get behind that sort of person. I use either animist or monotheist gods.

Monotheism makes sense as a distant enabler. God is Good but gives equal opportunity to everyone because being Good means nothing if it wasn't a chosen path. He gives spells to evil clerics just as He gives thumbs to evil people.

Animism allows gods to walk with and interact with people without being incredibly powerful. They grow wild and destructive if they are unhonored but are calmed by their clerics into civil people-like beings. It really works well with the 'followers mold the deity' model without straining suspension of disbelief.

Zombimode
2011-06-29, 02:24 AM
Most polytheistic pantheons hit an uncomfortable middle ground for me. They are human enough to see as a person but so distant as to feel apathetic. I just can't get behind that sort of person. I use either animist or monotheist gods.

But only if you follow the "gods are people too" approach that many fantasy settings seem to take. But that is not manditory for polytheism.
But once it is made clear that those personifications are just symbolic and more or less made up by the churches themselves and if the gods in actual encounters with them act nothing like persons, things start to change.

Cespenar
2011-06-29, 02:35 AM
Oh! I almost forgot. I rather like the pantheon from Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim:

- Dauros, god of order
- Fervus, god of chaos

Then there are also mentions of other gods in monster's descriptions, most noteably Grum Gog, the goblin god and god of pestilence.

My favorite is Krypta, because her priestesses have the awesomest(tm) voice and lines.

Generally, though, I too would prefer the Incursion pantheon. It feels original and cliche-free without being forced, IMO.

Edit: Oh, wait. There's also the Discworld pantheon, which has gems like "Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers" and such.

TARDIS
2011-06-29, 04:19 AM
Ravenloft... yes, the one with only six major gods, each with it;s own different religion, beliefs, churches and the like - Ezra, Lathander, Bane, Belenus, the Eternal Order and Hala, with a few other local divinities (The Lwa, the Akari pantheon, Kali, Zhakarta, the Faith of Man, etc.) It seems to be more realistic and authentic to me, to have various religions and faiths interacting and competing with each other, instead of the gods themselves. Also like the Eberron divinities for much the same reason, though I prefer the tone and style of Ravenloft's over Eberron. Personal taste.

hamlet
2011-06-29, 07:26 AM
Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign. Very cool, cohesive, sensible set of gods.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-30, 01:26 PM

- Dauros, god of order
- Fervus, god of chaos

I'm using them in a campaign I have going right now. I love how each fulfills their role so well. Poor Lunord getting killed off in the second game.

Silus
2011-06-30, 02:40 PM
Though Gods and Goddesses never really cropped up in the games I played (or the one that I DMed), I'd have to say my favorites would be...

1. Lovecraftian (Not really Gods, but pretty darn close)
2. Norse (They get stuff done. Manly Gods for manly men)
3. The Lady of Pain (Just don't worship her)

Salbazier
2011-06-30, 04:19 PM
Personally I can only think of two D&D settings which handled religion remotely well and those are Eberron and Ravenloft. The reason for that is simple, they are the only ones to treat it as actual religion and giving any focus at all on theology and liturgy. All other settings treat the gods as essentially superbeings that you choose one of to root for, but gives little to no actual support for what that means in daily life. These serious lacks just completely and utterly kill religion for me when dealing with D&D outside these settings, to the degree that I can't actually play a moderately or more strongly religious character in D&D. I don't even know how relatinoships between religions work in a practical sense or why 90% of all evil gods would have actual worshippers.

I don't pay much attention to ravenloft, but +1 for Eberron. The Faiths of Eberron is a really impressive book and I love the fact one can have many interpretation of faith (as in, alignment not necessarily the same with your patron/faith). It feel more realistic to me and give more chance to interesting story/conflict. So does their decription about Soverign Host. The gods are part of the world not just an outsider with a lots of HD. And there is The Blood of Vol, The Path of Light ect who differs than the normal style of religion in DnD. The Undying Court is not my favorite but it sures different and interesting! Same goes with Silver Flame. I don't like their crusading ways, but you bet the provide a tons of conflict/plothook. The Godforged.. just wow. Truly cool gods for once (The Traveler is my favorite)

So yeah, I love Eberron's faiths a lot. The best out there for me. Probably the only one that I can really accept to roleplay. Though, recently I've warmed up to Pathfinder's. They are quite interesting and there is a lot of details about the practice/pholosophy/aphorism/ect about the faiths in the Adventure Paths.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-30, 09:50 PM
If there are gods, and the campaign is taking them from the books, I rather mix n' match. I love Helm and I love Wee Jas, but the Forgotten Realms Pantheons can be lacking at times. Some of the Greyhawk gods I'm just not wowed by.

Swooper
2011-07-01, 11:17 AM
I've nearly always used custom religion in games I've run and most games I've played in (with the exception of some PbPs) have had custom gods as well. My last game had two linked main religions: The "old gods" - four elemental themed gods, and the newer Church of Ether, the "fifth" god, which has a host of demigod Saints that clerics worship (no one actually worships Ether directly). There's a huge religion war in the world's backstory, and some cultures still worship the old gods, and some cultures have different customs (dwarves worship the spirits of their ancestors, for example).

I've toyed with creating a working animistic faith (inspired by Princess Mononoke, Exalted and other eastern themes) before, and I think I'll go that route in my next game as well, possibly with some really distant we're-not-even-sure-they're-really-there deities as well.

Kol Korran
2011-07-01, 11:40 AM
I'd also go for the Eberron Pantheon (i don't know the ravenloft one)- it felt much more... realistic to me than the forgotten realms one. each faith gives a whole new approach to view the world (and not just a small dim portfolio), and your place in it, and the book (faiths of Eberron) actually touches spiritual matters, and theological matters.
as was mentioned, a big selling point for me was that everyone interperts the faith, and there is no supreme being that says "because it is so!". for those interested in playing a religious character (i don't mean just a divine caster), Eberron gives you the tools to shape it however you want, to what depth you want, and keeps challenging you.
and just for the record, i think the faith of the Godforged is one of the best pieces of fluff out there, though my personal favorite is the Sovereign host (looks so bland, but can be so deep, and with so many possibilities)

my 2 cents.

Telasi
2011-07-01, 12:11 PM
Of the published pantheons, I prefer the 2e FR pantheon, just following the Time of Troubles. To be fair, that's also my favorite published setting, so no surprise there.

I'm also rather fond of the Silver Flame from Eberron, if that counts.

In practice, I tend to make up my own deities as needed, and frequently let my more reasonable players come up with their own at the start of the campaign.