PDA

View Full Version : Writing Down a Spell

dextercorvia
2011-06-27, 06:23 PM
According to the PHB it takes 8 hours for a Wizard to determine whether or not he can copy a spell, and then another 24 hours to actually copy it. Is there any way of speeding up the second part? Specifically, I'm thinking about using a short term "prepared" spell, like a stolen spell, or from the spellpool to obviate research time/costs.

holywhippet
2011-06-27, 06:40 PM
From what I can see, it takes longer than you think. You first need to make a spellcraft check (or cast read magic). Then you need to study the scroll for 24 hours before making another spellcraft check to see if they can understand the spell and know how to scribe it. After that, it takes another 24 hours to scribe the spell.

dextercorvia
2011-06-27, 07:55 PM
From what I can see, it takes longer than you think. You first need to make a spellcraft check (or cast read magic). Then you need to study the scroll for 24 hours before making another spellcraft check to see if they can understand the spell and know how to scribe it. After that, it takes another 24 hours to scribe the spell.

It could be. I don't know why I interpreted a day as 8 hours. Is there any way to shorten the copying time?

King Atticus
2011-06-27, 08:10 PM
See if your DM will let you take this feat:

Arcane Shorthand

Type: General
Source: Dragon #358

You discovered a shorthand method for recording spells in spellbooks.
Benefit: You scribe spells in a spellbook using a shorthand that lets you transcribe faster and to occupy less space than normal. This shorthand cuts in half the time required to write a spell in a spellbook. Such spells also take up half as many pages and require half as much of the special materials normally used.
Special: The Spellcraft DC to learn or prepare a spell from a borrowed spellbook written in shorthand equals 25 + spell level.
Normal: A spellbook written with this method holds more spells and is thus worth more than a normal spellbook of the same number of pages. A wizard may take Arcane Shorthand as a wizard bonus feat.

holywhippet
2011-06-27, 08:45 PM
I don't think you'd be able to scribe spells you get from a spell pool like the mage of the arcane order one - you need a spell to be physically written down on a scroll or in a spellbook.

Thing is, if you are a member of an arcane order you should be able to buy just about any given spell anyway.

Thurbane
2011-06-27, 09:16 PM
In regards to the 8 hours vs 24 hours, one table in the SRD says a day, while a different one regarding the same topic clearly says 8 hours. This is a common source of confusion.

dextercorvia
2011-06-28, 07:24 AM
I don't think you'd be able to scribe spells you get from a spell pool like the mage of the arcane order one - you need a spell to be physically written down on a scroll or in a spellbook.

Thing is, if you are a member of an arcane order you should be able to buy just about any given spell anyway.

You can write down any spell you have 'prepared'. The arcane order thing was just an example. I'm still working on the first half of the combo, too.

@King Atticus: That helps -- I still wonder if there is a faster way. I guess I'll be book diving today.

@Thurbane: I must have looked at the table before. Thanks for clearing that up.

only1doug
2011-06-29, 10:55 AM
there is a magic item in Complete Mage (Pg 133) (quill of scribing) That can do the writing part for you while you do other things.

Thespianus
2011-06-29, 02:21 PM
there is a magic item in Complete Mage (Pg 133) (quill of scribing) That can do the writing part for you while you do other things.

It's kinda silly, but the Quill only lets you Scribe a Scroll, not write a spell down in your spellbook.

I'm facing a similar problem in my current campaign: Found a bunch of spellbooks, but I don't have the in-game time to write them into my own spellbook.

SuperFerret
2011-06-29, 02:27 PM
It's kinda silly, but the Quill only lets you Scribe a Scroll, not write a spell down in your spellbook.

I'm facing a similar problem in my current campaign: Found a bunch of spellbooks, but I don't have the in-game time to write them into my own spellbook.

If the world's not ending or something, take a break. Mention having the entire game jump forward in time a month or so to the group and see what they say. I doubt it would be an issue with your group, barring unforeseen plot circumstances.

dextercorvia
2011-06-29, 02:39 PM

Complete arcane has rules for attuning to the entire spellbook on page 140. It still requires time, but is much cheaper (free).

Thespianus
2011-06-30, 07:24 AM
If the world's not ending or something, take a break. Mention having the entire game jump forward in time a month or so to the group and see what they say. I doubt it would be an issue with your group, barring unforeseen plot circumstances.
Yeah, the city we're in is just suddenly being overrun by undeads, so I doubt taking a break for a month will be ok. ;)

But yeah, normally, downtime ought to be available to some extent.

Complete arcane has rules for attuning to the entire spellbook on page 140. It still requires time, but is much cheaper (free).
Cool. Very cool. Thanks.