PDA

View Full Version : The Newbred Humanoid Races

Prophet_of_Io
2011-06-27, 06:37 PM
So for an upcoming campaign I'm DMing, I've decided to go in a different World Direction for this game, which I may or may not post later in the World Creation section later.

For the Purposes of my campaign I've decided that the three major races (Humans, Elves and Dwarves) have been living as one Nation for over a thousand years, and cross-breeding is a much more naturally occurring then it otherwise would be. And in fact most other races on this continent can barely tell the difference between even a Dwarf and an Elf much less a Half-elf and a Human. I've also always thought Half-elves need a good homebrewing anyway.

Basic Backstory can be found here.
About a thousand years ago a great enough threat arose that the Humans Dwarfs and Elf united to combat the threat the devastating war resulted in Many casualties including the devastation of the halfling race, and the complete extinction of all True Dragons. But more importantly for this thread the United Races were Victorious and upon the rebuilding of this small continent the races came to a major decision: Do we stay united or disband. The Humans and Dwarfs were both actually for the permanent unity of the races, seeing the sheer amount of work that unity brought out from them, only the Elves were split about it. Half of them were convinced that all the races could benefit from the vast knowledge and guidance the elven races could provide, while half were convinced that this much power in one nation was a terrible idea. Eventually the elven race did indeed split, Half remained with the United Races which would later name their new Kingdom after the great Human Hero who first brought the races together and died finishing the great threat, Gavyral. While the rest of the elves fled deep deep into the forests, and have not been heard from since.

And since all of this has gone down we now have 6 Subraces of the Gavrylian Kingdom (Gavyral being the Name of the United races for those who care not for backstory): Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Half-Elves, Half-Dwarves and Dwelves. (I'm not super set on the Name "Dwelf" but for now it works)

Also Humans are all basically paragon with a +1 LA instead of levels, Elves are all Grey Elves and Dwarves are... Still Dwarves.

Here's what I have so far:
Humans
􏰁 +2 Any Ability: Humans are naturally adaptive, and easily excell in any one area.
􏰁 Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
􏰁 Human base land speed is 30 feet.
􏰁 2 extra feats at 1st level, because humans are quick to master specialized tasks and varied in their talents.
􏰁 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level, since humans are versatile and capable.
􏰁 Adaptive Learning: At first level choose any one skill. This skill is treated as a class skill in all respects for all classes that character has levels in, both current and future. For trained only skills the human must have that skill as a class skill already at level 1.
􏰁 Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Humans mingle with all kinds of other folk and thus can learn any language found in an area.
􏰁 Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.
􏰁 Level Adjustment: +1

Elves
􏰁 –2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Constitution, +2 Inteligence: Elves are graceful and knowledgeable but frail and weak. An elf’s grace makes her naturally better at stealth and archery.
􏰁 Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
􏰁 Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
􏰁 Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
􏰁 Low-light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
􏰁 Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. Elves esteem the arts of swordplay and archery, so all elves are familiar with these weapons.
􏰁 +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it. An elf’s senses are so keen that she practically has a sixth sense about hidden portals.
􏰁 Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan. Elves commonly know the languages of their enemies and of their friends, as well as Draconic, the language commonly found in ancient tomes of secret knowledge.
􏰁 Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclass elf’s wizard class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. Wizardry comes naturally to elves—indeed, they sometimes claim to have invented it, and fighter/wizards are especially common among them.

Half-elves
􏰁 –2 Constitution, +2 Charisma: Half-elves are naturally outgoing and generally easy to get along with, but their cross-breeding has made them frail of body.
􏰁 Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
􏰁 Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
􏰁 Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throw against enchantment spells or effects.
􏰁 Low-light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
􏰁 +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks: A half-elf does not have the elf’s ability to notice secret doors simply by passing near them. Half-elves have keen senses, but not as keen as those of an elf.
􏰁 +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks: Half-elves get along naturally with all people.
􏰁 Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf. Half-elves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect elves as their elf ancestors are, and they can use
magic items that are only usable by elves.
􏰁 Adaptive Learning: Like Humans, half-elves are naturally versitile. This ability functions like the human trait of the same name, except Half-elves also gain a +2 bonus to all other skills with the same ability modifier as the skill selected.
􏰁 Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Half-elves have all the versatility and broad (if shallow) experience that humans have.
􏰁 Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half- elf takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count (see XP for Multiclass Characters, page 60).

Half-dwarves
+2 Strength, –2 Dexterity: Half-dwarves are built strong and tough, but also awkward resulting in loss of agility.
􏰁 Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special
bonuses or penalties due to their size.
􏰁 Half-dwarf base land speed is 30 feet.
􏰁 1 extra feat at 1st level, because half-dwarves are as task oriented as a dwarf and as varied in their talents as a human.
􏰁 +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects: Half-dwarves inherit the dwarves resistance to magic spells.
􏰁 Darkvision: Half-dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
􏰁 +1 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks that are related to stone or metal: Half-dwarves are just as familiar with them as their dwarven ancestors.
􏰁 +2 racial bonus on on saving throws against poison: Half-dwarves are hardy and resistant to toxins.
􏰁 Dwarven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-dwarf is considered an dwarf. Half-dwarves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect dwarves as their dwarf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by dwarfs.
􏰁 Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages:
Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Half-dwarves have all the versatility and broad (if shallow) experience that humans have.
􏰁 Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-
elf takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does
not count (see XP for Multiclass Characters, page 60).

Dwelves
+2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma: Dwelves are wise and patient, but naturally shy, usually serving as advisors rather than an authority figure.
􏰁 Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special
bonuses or penalties due to their size.
􏰁 Dwelves base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwelves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or whose speed is reduced in such conditions).
􏰁 Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
􏰁 Low-light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
􏰁 Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwelf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the
old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwelf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwelf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Dwelves have a sixth sense about stonework, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunity to practice and hone in their underground homes.
􏰁 +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An dwelf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it. An dwelf’s senses are so keen that she practically has a sixth sense about hidden portals. Dwelves are observant and detail oriented, but not as naturally hardy as either of their ancestors.
􏰁 Dwarven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-dwarf is considered an dwarf. Half-dwarves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect dwarves as their dwarf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by dwarfs.
􏰁 Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf. Half-elves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect elves as their elf ancestors are, and they can use
magic items that are only usable by elves.
􏰁 Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven and Elven. Bonus Languages: Celestial, Feral, Halfling, Terran and Sylvan. Dwelves are familiar with the language of the saints, as well as the language of their friends and enemies.
􏰁 Favored Class: Cleric. A multiclass Dwelf's cleric class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. Dwelves are devout by nature and fit well into the contemplative lifestyle. In fact most take at least a level or two in cleric at some point in their life.

Most of this should be pretty straight forward, and Humans and Elves are pretty much just the Players handbook versions. Dwarves ARE the PHB version so I didn't include them.

Any and All input on the races and how balanced you think they are, any input for racial abilities or even flavor and fluff are very much appreciated. If there's anything that you need to know that I forgot to mention or just haven't thought about, they'd all be very much appreciated. Really anything at all would be helpful as this is my first real time using Homebrew rules as a DM outside of the Sorcerer Class that I took from one of you folks.

THANKS!

"EDIT"
The PC's BTW will be traveling to this unfamiliar world from what's basically greyhawk so while I may have the Half-elf race change for them the Humans they will play would be regular humans, all of this is for NPC's.

Twin Dragons
2011-06-27, 11:15 PM
With these races I'd never play a Human. Either bump up the power of the other races to make them on par with the humans, or decrease the racial ower of humans.

Dryad
2011-06-28, 05:33 AM
I agree. Because the other races all effectively gain one extra level (put in the perspective of the human) they're too weak for the level adjustments.

A single +2 to any one stat is good, true.
An extra bonus feat is very good at first second level, also true.
One extra class skill is also very nifty.

However, one extra level in any class is better than the above combined. Truth be told, scrap the one extra bonus feat, and the Adaptive Learner special, and the Human would still be a LA +0 race, even with the +2. In fact, the reason humans are not the most popular race to play as characters is the lack of the +2 to ability scores.

The PC's BTW will be traveling to this unfamiliar world from what's basically greyhawk so while I may have the Half-elf race change for them the Humans they will play would be regular humans, all of this is for NPC's.
This makes up a lot of the problem with the Human choice you give. Just be aware that 'human' will probably not be a very desired option for people who need to re-roll.

Prophet_of_Io
2011-06-28, 12:13 PM
Makes sense, although I'm not really concerned with the Humans or Elves (though I will just drop the humans back to basically humans) I put them there to show where I'm coming from as far as the hybrid races. Any thoughts on the later three and if they seem up to par?

Dryad
2011-06-28, 02:11 PM
They look good to me. Interesting options. :)

Elegonn
2011-07-20, 07:06 PM
I personally think that the half-races need a little variation. For example, dwelves have a base speed of 20 ft.;what if my character was 1/4 dwarf? I think I'd like to see race generation point buy system. A half-race would have a set amount of points.Then, they could gain any of the abilities of either race, or maybe a new ability, and then pay the points. This would allow for let's say a half human, quarter dwarf, quarter elf. As you said, the lines are supposed to be blurry.

Here's an idea for the point buy.
All races have 10 points

Human Abilities:
+2 Any Ability Score..........6 pts
-2 Any Ability Score..........-4 pts
+1 Feat..........................3 pts
+4 Skill Points at 1st Level..3 pts
+1 Skill at Every Level........4 pts
Elf Abilities:
+2 Dexterity.....................5 pts
+2 Intelligence.................5 pts
-2 Constitution.................-5 pts
-2 Strength.....................-5 pts
Elven Language................1 pt
Low Light Vision...............1 pt
Elven Weapon Proficiency...1 pt
Magic Immunity.................1 pt
Secret Door Power.............1 pt
Dwarf Abilities:
+2 Constitution.................6 pts
-2 Charisma......................-5 pts
30ft Darkvision..................2 pt
60ft Darkvision..................3 pts
Hatred Effects...................1 pt
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
Stone-Cunning + Effects.........2 pts
+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
Resistances..........................1 pt
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
Stability................................1 pt
Dwarven Weapon Familiarity......1 pt