PDA

View Full Version : BAB and multi-classing

hobbitkniver
2011-06-27, 07:07 PM
I need help with a simple calculation. Suppose your base attack bonus is 7/2 and you go into a prestige class that is +1. Does this make it 7/2 or 8/3 or 8/2 or what?

Ravens_cry
2011-06-27, 07:09 PM
8/3, I believe.

Thurbane
2011-06-27, 07:10 PM
Your BAB is only one figure - if it's +6 or higher, then you get iteratives based on the number. In your rexample, a BAB +7 character taking a level in a PrC that gives +1 BAB would have a new BAB total of +8, with one iterative at a base of +3.

tonberrian
2011-06-27, 07:11 PM
I need help with a simple calculation. Suppose your base attack bonus is 7/2 and you go into a prestige class that is +1. Does this make it 7/2 or 8/3 or 8/2 or what?

It's 8. Adding the iteratives in is just convenience, your BAB is equal to the highest number.

Vangor
2011-06-27, 07:16 PM

The 7/2 is simply a convention of base classes to show iterative attacks easily. In reality, every 5 BAB beyond 1 you receive an additional iterative attack effectively beginning back at 1. No matter how you receive the BAB, but only via BAB, you receive those iterative attacks.

shadow_archmagi
2011-06-27, 07:19 PM

8/3, most likely.

Basically, the way BAB works is this:

Every class has full, medium, or half BAB.

Full means BAB=Character Level
Medium means BAB=75% of Character Level
Half means BAB=50% of Character Level

So a wizard has half BAB so a 20th level wizard has 10 BAB.

So most people don't pay attention to the +1, +2s, and instead simply add 1, .75, or .5 as needed.

edit: this is what I get for having a job and getting up to help a customer

curse you customers, curse you all

Thurbane
2011-06-27, 07:22 PM
So most people don't pay attention to the +1, +2s, and instead simply add 1, .75, or .5 as needed.
I don't know that it's fair to say "most people don't pay attention" to the base numbers - using Fractional BAB (which is exactly what adding +1, +0.75 or +0.5 is), is actually an optional system that is listed in Unearthed Arcana...

hobbitkniver
2011-06-27, 07:25 PM
8/3, most likely.

Basically, the way BAB works is this:

Every class has full, medium, or half BAB.

Full means BAB=Character Level
Medium means BAB=75% of Character Level
Half means BAB=50% of Character Level

So a wizard has half BAB so a 20th level wizard has 10 BAB.

edit: this is what I get for having a job and getting up to help a customer

curse you customers, curse you all

Thanks, I never knew this. As for my question, I'm pretty sure it's been answered and we don't need 10 more people saying the same thing.

tonberrian
2011-06-27, 07:28 PM
I don't know that it's fair to say "most people don't pay attention" to the base numbers - using Fractional BAB (which is exactly what adding +1, +0.75 or +0.5 is), is actually an optional system that is listed in Unearthed Arcana...

It's an optional system that should be the standard. Builds that can get to level 20 with BaB +0 shouldn't happen.

ericgrau
2011-06-28, 12:15 AM
Thanks, I never knew this. As for my question, I'm pretty sure it's been answered and we don't need 10 more people saying the same thing.
Which makes it the perfect time for a fractional BAB thread derail. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2011-06-28, 12:19 AM
Well to be fair, 3 of us posted within 2 minutes, so in all likelihood we hadn't seen each other's replies. This tends to happen a bit on the forums in relation to a question that has a relatively easy answer.

FWIW, this would have been a good question for the Q&A by RAW thread.

It's an optional system that should be the standard. Builds that can get to level 20 with BaB +0 shouldn't happen.
Well, I guess there's more than one take on that - some groups that prefer not to encourage (or even to discourage) dips and/or heavy multiclassing probably don't mind people missing out on BAB this way. I don't mind much either way, but my own group doesn't use the Fractional BAB system.

ericgrau
2011-06-28, 12:25 AM
Ya usually people don't have that many classes so being 1/2 a BAB behind on average or whatever doesn't matter much. Technically fractional BAB is strictly better than the normal way, but the benefit is minimal for the effort put in. I could play with or without it and I wouldn't care either way.

MeeposFire
2011-06-28, 12:37 AM
It is really only very helpful for 3/4 BAB classes. 1/2 BAB don't make too many attack rolls or can avoid it and whenever you take a full BAB class you don't need fractional BAB. But if you take a bunch of different 3/4 BAB and you don't take them in groups of 4 you will lose a non-significant amount of BAB and unlike 1/2 BAB classes you probably need it.

faceroll
2011-06-28, 01:29 AM
Ya usually people don't have that many classes so being 1/2 a BAB behind on average or whatever doesn't matter much. Technically fractional BAB is strictly better than the normal way, but the benefit is minimal for the effort put in. I could play with or without it and I wouldn't care either way.

It actually ends up mattering for wizards that rely on touch attacks, as they invariably end up on losing one or two BAB over the course of the first 10 levels. Having a +5 or +6 on attacks sucks, even if you're aiming for touch AC. It sucks even more when you end up shooting into melee.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-28, 02:02 AM
Much as I hate to add to the derail, I have to say this:

Multiclassing and dipping is frowned upon by some, but the fractional BAB system represents a character's growth better than the standard system. The increase in Base Attack Bonus does not reflect the current level you are at, but rather the experience you gained over your last level. If I was a 5th level rogue that got enough experience to go to sixth, and I chose to enter a prestige class rather than stay a rogue, it doesn't mean I didn't get any better at attacking through training that should have netted me a +1 to my Base Attack Bonus (I use level 6 as an example because A. It's a common prestiging point and B. It happens to be a level where every type of BAB increases).

Prime32
2011-06-28, 01:02 PM
Well, I guess there's more than one take on that - some groups that prefer not to encourage (or even to discourage) dips and/or heavy multiclassing probably don't mind people missing out on BAB this way. I don't mind much either way, but my own group doesn't use the Fractional BAB system.I honestly don't think it was meant to encourage or discourage anything, given that if you don't use fractional saves a multiclassed character can have +40/+0 saves where a single-classed has +6/+12.

ericgrau
2011-06-28, 01:59 PM
That's another good point: better saves and the benefits of grabbing 5 different classes in exchange for your -2 to hit that probably isn't essential anyway. It just seems uncommon to reach that threshold where the gain/loss is so lopsided that it matters at all, not that fractional isn't technically better.

Snails
2011-06-29, 12:00 AM

Obviously. The DM should slap upside the head any fool who whose PC wants to change class every level.

It is a minor issue around multiclassing and PrC dips. If you "fix" BAB, then you should "fix" the save progression, and "fix" the Core classes while you are at it.

Psyren
2011-06-29, 12:37 AM
Fractional BAB is brilliant. I wish it was baseline.

And I really don't get the point of "punishing multiclassing." If one class doesn't fit my concept, why should I suffer for branching out? If you really want to punish multiclassing, use AD&D's system.

Greenish
2011-06-29, 12:44 AM
Obviously. The DM should slap upside the head any fool who whose PC wants to change class every level.Why?

If you "fix" BAB, then you should "fix" the save progressionFractional save are in the same package.

and "fix" the Core classes while you are at it.Use alternative versions?

Tokiko Mima
2011-06-29, 01:18 AM
Remember that if your DM doesn't use the fractional BAB rules in order to punish you for multi-classing, it is elementary for you to use the same non-fractional system to pump your saves up well beyond what is reasonable and into the domain of 'completely destroys the save DC system'. Just try and take even numbers of base and PrC classes, and multi/prestige class as much as you possibly can and you'll see what I mean when you calculate your saves.