View Full Version : Working on Campaign. Need class help.

Kin Silvion
2011-06-27, 08:42 PM
Alright, so it's a no magic campaign, as the BBEG has killed everyone with magic, and anyone harboring a mage of any kind has their entire families killed. He's that evil.

Anyways, I need a list of classes that use no magic, or minor magic such as bard and such, so that I can put the PCs into. Most of the fights will have to be thought out due to the enemies being much higher level than the PCs. Though I'm hoping for a diverse list... sort of. Not all fighters, or not all rogues, but some different things.

I have access to... every book. I'm just looking for ideas and help.

BlueInc
2011-06-27, 08:49 PM
I would highly recommend not doing quite this. Instead, why not have your BBEG kill all of one kind of magic, such as Divine or Arcane?

playswithfire
2011-06-27, 08:54 PM
Off the top of my head:

No/almost no casting/psionics: Fighter, Rogue, Monk, Spell-less Ranger (CDiv and/or CWar) probably with Wild-Shape, Spell-less Paladin (CDiv and/or CWar), Barbarian, Soulknife, Swordsage, Warblade, Crusader, Scout, Ninja, Knight, Swashbuckler, Samurai, Factotum, and Warlock

Some casting/psionics: Hexblade, Duskblade, Bard, Divine Bard, Lurk, Divine Mind, and Psychic Warrior

Full psionics (if psionics!=magic): Psion, Wilder, Ardent, and Erudite

Kin Silvion
2011-06-27, 08:56 PM
I would highly recommend not doing quite this. Instead, why not have your BBEG kill all of one kind of magic, such as Divine or Arcane?

Well I was thinking that the gods either don't exist, or are afraid/there's something stopping them, but I was thinking of maybe having divine magic around, if not in people who can manifest the ability to cast, or by some kind of object.

I mean divine magic isn't innate, or learned. It's granted. So maybe Favored Soul would be allowed.

Rogue Shadows
2011-06-27, 08:58 PM
Also you might be able to get away with classes that don't precisely cast magic: Incarnate, Soulborn, Totemist (Magic of Incarnum), and Binder, Shadowcaster, and Truenamer (Tome of Magic).

Binders are especially cool because they already have that "forbidden magic" feel to them. And also because you should always take every opportunity to include anything named Orthos, Sovereign of the Howling Dark.

It is too awesome.

Pika...
2011-06-27, 09:01 PM
I was about to saw the non-casting rangers variant, but someone beat me to it.

Also, consider for a low-magic game allowing the Adept with the minor changes/boost I made in my setting/cosmology below. I find it weaker than a cleric, but in a low-magic game during three campaigns the play-testing has proven it balanced. Hope you like. :smallwink:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/origin/wikis/adept