PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite mixed beverage?

Tyndmyr
2011-06-28, 12:52 PM
Now, now...no bragging about underage drinking and the like. This is simply a thread for sharing your favorite beverage combo, alcoholic or not. Four day weekend is on the way here in the US, so this is useful information!

.5 shots Effin Vodka(black cherry)
1.5 shots Pink Vodka
1 can Diet Cherry Dr Pepper(Cherry Coke Zero also works fantastically).

Enjoy.

Janus
2011-06-28, 01:28 PM
Half Dr. Pepper, half Pepsi. I discovered that one when a fast food joint ran out
of Dr. Pepper, and I had to fill the other half with something.
Other than that, I don't really mix my drinks much. The fact that I don't drink alcohol at all also limits my drink-mixing options/tendencies.

Occasional Sage
2011-06-28, 01:37 PM
The Jack Rose is mine: one part grenadine (not Roses, the real stuff), two parts lime juice, four parts applejack (kinda like an apple brandy, but different).

Rather complex flavor, easy to make, no particularly rare or expensive ingredients (though applejack is hard to find in bars around here).

Keld Denar
2011-06-28, 01:51 PM
Gin and Tonic. Serve in a clear glass. Apply blacklights for best effect.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-28, 01:54 PM
Coca Cola and Fanta. Delicious.

I don't drink much but water and milk, however, so that's about all I have tried.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-28, 02:00 PM
White Russians are tasty and on this subject I will say no more.

Mauve Shirt
2011-06-28, 02:06 PM
Cranberry juice, ginger ale, vodka and peach schnapps. Punchy!
I'm told Irish car bombs are like milkshakes, as are White Russians.
As far as non-alcoholic beverages, Coke and Dr. Pepper. Coke and lime.

ZombyWoof
2011-06-28, 02:13 PM
I like to mix Jim Beam with a glass. Sip casually.

Occasional Sage
2011-06-28, 02:49 PM
White Russians are tasty and on this subject I will say no more.

The Moff abides?

Dallas-Dakota
2011-06-28, 02:58 PM
Strawberry Milkshake + Rum is one of my favorites. Just so damn delicious.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-28, 03:07 PM

This mixing process sounds problematic.

Sip. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch.

Trekkin
2011-06-28, 03:21 PM
Equal parts root beer, orange soda, diet cola, and grape juice, mixed 2:1 with soft serve vanilla ice cream and a pinch of salt to make it fizz like mad.

It's good, really, especially after five hours of lab work.

arguskos
2011-06-28, 03:37 PM
Obligatory Terribad Drink:
The Black Samurai
Ingredients: 2 parts cold dry saki, 1 part soy sauce (don't use low sodium)
Creation: Pour the saki into a large glass. Add the soy sauce. Mix thoroughly, and drink as fast as possible.

You'll hate yourself afterwards, and possibly me for suggesting it. I don't recommend it.

Another Terribad Drink:
The Ghost Bear PPC (from Battletech)
Ingredients: 3 shots everclear, 1 shot blue curacao, 2 shots Jaegermeister
Creation: Mix thoroughly in a large glass. Enjoy...?

Again, you may hate yourself, me, and/or alcohol after consuming this one.

A Good Drink:
Mojito
Ingredients: white rum, lime juice, mint, sugar, soda water
Creation: Muddle the mint with the sugar and lime juice. Add the rum and top with soda water. Top with a spring of mint and serve with a straw. Gotta make it in a tall glass, like a highball or Collins. Delicious.

Sholos
2011-06-28, 03:42 PM
Long Islands.

For the custom drink, I can't remember the recipe, but it's a mix of apple cider, simple syrup, spiced rum, and some sort of blue mixer that turns the whole thing green (mixer is optional).

Occasional Sage
2011-06-28, 04:01 PM
Long Islands.

For the custom drink, I can't remember the recipe, but it's a mix of apple cider, simple syrup, spiced rum, and some sort of blue mixer that turns the whole thing green (mixer is optional).

Long Islands have a bajillion variants; I'm a Tokyo (or Nuclear) Tea fan myself. Mostly for the color though.

Flickerdart
2011-06-28, 04:02 PM
The Clear Russian
Ingredients: One part vodka to two parts vodka
Instructions: Drink the one part vodka, then the two parts vodka. Follow up with salted herring for best effect.

Keld Denar
2011-06-28, 04:04 PM
We used to mix up batches of "pink panty droppers" for the ladies when my fraternity would host parties. One 30 pack cheap beer, 2 bottles of cheap lemon/citrus vodka, 3 cans of frozen pink lemonaide concentrat, lots and lots of ice. Mix it up in one of those huge gatorade containers (double the recipe works well, if quantities require).

Doesn't taste one bit like you are drinking alcohol. Perfect for parties!

Deth Muncher
2011-06-28, 07:19 PM

The Clear Russian
Ingredients: One part vodka to two parts vodka
Instructions: Drink the one part vodka, then the two parts vodka. Follow up with salted herring for best effect.

What you two have done there, I see it.

We used to mix up batches of "pink panty droppers" for the ladies when my fraternity would host parties. One 30 pack cheap beer, 2 bottles of cheap lemon/citrus vodka, 3 cans of frozen pink lemonaide concentrat, lots and lots of ice. Mix it up in one of those huge gatorade containers (double the recipe works well, if quantities require).
Doesn't taste one bit like you are drinking alcohol. Perfect for parties!

Oh man I've had this! I think the party I was at used Aristocrat vodka, which...well, blegh. But regardless, it tasted pretty good, seemed to be fairly cheap, and got the job done for all involved.

The Black Samurai
Creation: Pour the saki into a large glass. Add the soy sauce. Mix thoroughly, and drink as fast as possible.

You'll hate yourself afterwards, and possibly me for suggesting it. I don't recommend it.

Another Terribad Drink:
The Ghost Bear PPC (from Battletech)
Ingredients: 3 shots everclear, 1 shot blue curacao, 2 shots Jaegermeister
Creation: Mix thoroughly in a large glass. Enjoy...?

Again, you may hate yourself, me, and/or alcohol after consuming this one.

While the first one sounds like I want to hit you, the second one seems mildly like a Challenge Accepted moment waiting to happen?

Trog
2011-06-28, 07:26 PM
Gin and Tonic. Serve in a clear glass. Apply blacklights for best effect.

This.

Plus a lime wedge.

tyckspoon
2011-06-28, 07:33 PM
I'm fond of the Red Headed Slut- 1 part Jaeger, 1 part peach schnapps, 2 parts cranberry juice- which is made largely of flavors I despise (mixology is magic.) It's sometimes sold in a premixed bottle- don't do that. The premix just tastes like boozed cough syrup.

Although this

The Jack Rose is mine: one part grenadine (not Roses, the real stuff), two parts lime juice, four parts applejack (kinda like an apple brandy, but different).

sounds pretty damn delicious, and I will have to find some place that carries applejack so I can try it.

Non-alcoholic:
Half to three-quarters cup of Sprite, fill remainder almost to top with lemonade, finish off cup with just enough fruit punch to color the whole thing red.

Qaera
2011-06-28, 07:39 PM
I'm partial to an Arnold Palmer, but I prefer it 2 parts sweet tea to one part lemonade, as opposed to the traditional 1:1.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-28, 08:09 PM
Hmmm....

Favorite "Fancy" Drink: Vodka Tonic
Favorite Regular Elaborate Drink: Arizona Iced Tea with Vodka.
Favorite Regular Drink: Rum and Coke.
Guilty Pleasure: Piña Colada.

And just so it's known: I'm 22.

RebelRogue
2011-06-28, 08:09 PM
I really like margharitas, but Moff has a point when it comes to white russians.

Innis Cabal
2011-06-28, 08:11 PM
The Black Samurai

As I've said before, I am quite fond of this drink. I also second Gin and Tonic and Whiskey Sours.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-28, 08:15 PM
The Moff abides?

I giggled like a little girl. :smalltongue:

Tirian
2011-06-28, 08:21 PM
Nothing for après-ski like hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps.

Weezer
2011-06-28, 08:22 PM
I'd have to go with Long island Iced tea or Gin and tonic. But I don't really drink mixed drinks all that often, my prefered beverage is sipping at whiskey or scotch (which I choose depends mostly on how generous my wallet is feeling).

Janus
2011-06-28, 09:12 PM
Equal parts root beer, orange soda, diet cola, and grape juice, mixed 2:1 with soft serve vanilla ice cream and a pinch of salt to make it fizz like mad.

It's good, really, especially after five hours of lab work.

I've had root beer with orange soda before (we call it "swamp water"), but never with all the other stuff you mentioned (except ice cream, of course). I might have to try that sometime.

Britter
2011-06-28, 09:44 PM
Vodka Gimlet.

1.5 ounces vodka, 1 ounce rose's Sweet Lime Juice, shake over ice, serve garnished with a slice of lime, or a twist, or both.

You can add tonic water to taste if you feel so inclined. You can also substitute gin for the Vodka if you want to be British about it.

Kurgan
2011-06-29, 01:15 AM
As mentioned above, the Red Headed Slut is delicious.

As for my contribution, you really can't go wrong with rum and coke. I have found that dr pepper also serves well in place of the coke. The plus side is its easy to make:

1) get a glass, 2) get as much rum as you want in that glass, 3) add the coke or dr pepper. Make sure you do not skip step 1, I've seen it happen before and it just makes a mess.

Knaight
2011-06-29, 01:22 AM
Coffee is improved heavily by using Ouzo as a sweetener. Its a fairly low alcohol drink, while also completely delicious, assuming you don't skimp on cream and spices.

Juggling Goth
2011-06-29, 01:33 AM
Sea Breeze: vodka, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice. Om nom nom nom. Refreshing, ie bitter as hell. Just the thing for heatwaves.

Also tastes good without the vodka. Though I once asked a bartender for "a Sea Breeze without the vodka" and they looked at me like "why are you removing the active ingredient?"

My current meds mean I have to lay off the grapefruit juice. This does not please me. Sea Breeze was pretty much the only mixed drink I'd touch - most of them are far too sweet for me. Also if you order lots of plain cranberry juice people start thinking you have a UTI.

Archonic Energy
2011-06-29, 05:10 AM
some things to try:

JD + Dr Pepper
goes down easier than i would like!

Single Malt + 1 ice cube (small)
I really need to get some of those whisky stones

Serpentine
2011-06-29, 05:25 AM
My current meds mean I have to lay off the grapefruit juice.Why on Earth would grapefruit juice be an issue? :confused:
(unrelated but I can't be bothered sending a PM: I saw you use the term "majority world". You wouldn't happen to read New Internationalist Magazine or similar, would you?)

My standards are: Bailey's and milk (self-evident); vodka, lemon, lime and bitters (also self evident - preferably with real lemon and/or lime juice, or failing that lemon and/or lime cordial); and Screwdrivers (vodka and orange juice).
I'm also a fan of margaritas (lime and tequila - with real lime pulp) and fancy, syrupy, chocolatey cocktails (e.g. Toblerone - iirc Bailey's, Frangelico, some other alcomohol, cream/milk, honey/chocolate syrup). Something Innis Cabal's described sounds delicious, and I look forward to having him make it for me before we maul each other to death :smallwink:

For non-alcoholic, my sister used to make us Green Ginger Ale: ginger ale and green cordial. Been a while since I had it so I can't remember the proportions (I used to go by colour...). I recommend starting with making it as normal green cordial with the ginger ale instead of water, and then adjusting to taste.

rakkoon
2011-06-29, 06:51 AM
I'm more of a pure spirits drinker but I like my Caipirinhas and Daiquiris.
In Manchester we had a bar that sold vodka mixed drinks named after Barbie and Action man figurines. Not all of them were forum friendly :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2011-06-29, 11:24 AM
My current meds mean I have to lay off the grapefruit juice. This does not please me. Sea Breeze was pretty much the only mixed drink I'd touch - most of them are far too sweet for me. Also if you order lots of plain cranberry juice people start thinking you have a UTI.

Look into classic cocktails. They are fantastic, and are generally not terribly sweet. And no, the cosmopolitan is not classic. The Aviator is pretty solid.

Occasional Sage
2011-06-29, 11:50 AM
Sipping on coffee with a slugga bourbon in it. Very nice.

The Aviator? Is that a twist on the Aviation?

EDIT: Also, eating Oreos.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-29, 01:37 PM
Screwdrivers are my favourite, when I'm not having Flickerdarts Clear Russian.
Rum and Cokes are meh.
Rye and Gingers are awesome too.

Greensleeves
2011-06-29, 01:58 PM
Gin tonics are indeed awesome. So are both Martinis (though I prefer them with a twist, probably) and the Manhattan.

I must also admit to having a certain fondness for Jameson and Coke.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-29, 02:37 PM
Sipping on coffee with a slugga bourbon in it. Very nice.

The Aviator? Is that a twist on the Aviation?

The Aviation, that's the one. My bad.

If you're ever in minneapolis, bradstreetcraftshouse.com is a pretty solid classic cocktail bar.

Keld Denar
2011-06-29, 03:22 PM
Funny story...my healthy love of gin and tonics is inversely proportional to my sheer loathing of gin and ANYTHING ELSE. Martini? Not unless its pure Varmuth, thank you.

I can't explain it. Gin is repulsive, tonic is irreprehensable, but mixed together they are divine. Kinda like how you mix sodium and chlorine, two things that will obviously kill you horribly in one form or another, and get delicious, harmless table salt. Yea, something like that.

Occasional Sage
2011-06-29, 05:06 PM
Funny story...my healthy love of gin and tonics is inversely proportional to my sheer loathing of gin and ANYTHING ELSE. Martini? Not unless its pure Varmuth, thank you.

I can't explain it. Gin is repulsive, tonic is irreprehensable, but mixed together they are divine. Kinda like how you mix sodium and chlorine, two things that will obviously kill you horribly in one form or another, and get delicious, harmless table salt. Yea, something like that.

It's the lime. Citrus makes everything better.

Except open wounds.

Also: do you find that the gin brand or quality makes a difference?

Tirian
2011-06-29, 05:10 PM
Why on Earth would grapefruit juice be an issue? :confused:

Grapefruit juice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs_affected_by_grapefruit) is notorious for messing up a large number of medications.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-06-29, 05:23 PM
For non-alcoholic, my sister used to make us Green Ginger Ale: ginger ale and green cordial. Been a while since I had it so I can't remember the proportions (I used to go by colour...). I recommend starting with making it as normal green cordial with the ginger ale instead of water, and then adjusting to taste.

Just a curious Brit here, but what exactly is Green Cordial?

Mixers, eh?

The weirdest I've tried was one day at the Union bar, and me and my mate Bill were chatting about TV shows. Our conversation eventually turned to 'Bottom'. I can't remember who suggested it, but we ended up ordering two 'Esther Rantzen's
The Esther Rantzen is constructed with Pernod, Ouzo, Marmalade and Salt.
Strangely, it was quite nice...

I quite enjoy a 'fizzy sarsaparilly' - sarsaparilla and lemonade - extremely sweet!

Juggling Goth
2011-06-29, 05:28 PM

If you have lot of it, it can make medication stay in your body for longer than it otherwise would, with the possibility of it building up to toxic levels. Some meds are higher-risk than others, so it isn't always mentioned on the leaflet if there's not much risk. Unfortunately buspirone, which I take for my crazy, is extra-sensitive to it, and you can end up with between 4 and 9 times as much in your body as you thought you had.

(unrelated but I can't be bothered sending a PM: I saw you use the term "majority world". You wouldn't happen to read New Internationalist Magazine or similar, would you?)

Heh, yeah. Is it that obvious?

Keld Denar
2011-06-29, 05:35 PM
Also: do you find that the gin brand or quality makes a difference?

Not really, surprisingly enough. In a G & T, I can't really taste much difference between a rail gin and say...Bombay Saphire, they are all that same delightfully pine-y flavor. In a Martini, they all taste so bad I can't tell.

I can tell the difference between cheap and high quality vodka and tequilla, but generally only straight.

Asta Kask
2011-06-29, 05:38 PM

Some kinds of grapefruit juice contains skin as well as the juice. This adds a certain amount of flavor... unfortunately it also contains compounds that inhibit one of our metabolic enzymes - CYP3A4 which is one of the most important enzymes for metabolizing foreign substances. As a result, a wide variety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs_affected_by_grapefruit) of medicines are affected by grapefruit juice.

(Yes, I know you explained this JugglingGoth, but it's my field of study! I can't pass on an opportunity to play teacher, can I?)

Juggling Goth
2011-06-29, 05:50 PM
(Yes, I know you explained this JugglingGoth, but it's my field of study! I can't pass on an opportunity to play teacher, can I?)

Ah, but you explained it with much bigger, more science-y words. :smalltongue:

Occasional Sage
2011-06-29, 07:17 PM
Not really, surprisingly enough. In a G & T, I can't really taste much difference between a rail gin and say...Bombay Saphire, they are all that same delightfully pine-y flavor. In a Martini, they all taste so bad I can't tell.

I can tell the difference between cheap and high quality vodka and tequilla, but generally only straight.

If you're a vodka connoisseur, I'd suggest the Barca Lounge on Cap Hill; they have an excellent selection.

thorgrim29
2011-06-29, 08:01 PM
My favourites are:

Liquid cocaine, 2 versions
-Shot is 50/50 Jagermeister and goldshlagger
-Glass is 2 thirds jager, a third goldshlagger shaken with ice, poured over ice

Other then that... a well done Long Island iced tea id always fun, but not of that premix crap, and at least average quality liquors. I prefer sprite over coke or iced tea with it.

Also... Irish car bomb, and whisky with a few drops of water of a very small ice cube.

Wandiya
2011-06-29, 08:51 PM
I like to drink 1 part Fanta/Sunkist (orange softdrink) to 3 parts lemonade (not real lemonade, the clear stuff). Can't drink Sunkist straight so I tone it down with the lemonade, also works with adding lemon lime solo or normal solo to the Sunkist.

I also dip my food in it (roast potatoes/bread) for that extra tastiness:smallbiggrin:.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-06-29, 10:01 PM
I drink like a girl, in that I drink the typical Cosmopolitan.
1 oz vodka
1/2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz cranberry juice

Also, pretty fond of the Jolly Rancher shot

1/2 oz Apple Schnapps
1/2 oz Cranberry juice
1/2 oz Peach Schnapps

Annnnnd, Sex in My Mouth, which....you know, I have no idea what's in it, but my favorite bar tender at my favorite bar makes it for me every time I walk in =P

When I'm at home, I tend to drink sweet tea and raspberry Sky Vodka

Grapefruit actually counter interacts with a lot of medication, believe it or not. All the Statins (or cholesterol meds), off the top of my head...

Moff Chumley
2011-06-29, 10:34 PM
Did someone mention vermouth? Vermouth is vile, in any combination. :smallyuk:

Serpentine
2011-06-29, 11:08 PM
Grapefruit actually counter interacts with a lot of medication, believe it or not. All the Statins (or cholesterol meds), off the top of my head...That is bizarre.

I don't really like many soft drinks at all...

Britter
2011-06-29, 11:15 PM
Did someone mention vermouth? Vermouth is vile, in any combination. :smallyuk:

Gotta disagree. A good Manhattan, with just the right proportions of sweet vermouth to bourbon, is a thing of beauty.

I wouldn't drink the stuff straight, or in large quantities, as in those circumstances it is totally foul. it is meant to be used in small, appropriate amounts, as a mixer and an accentuater of flavor.

Galathir
2011-06-29, 11:18 PM
Well, I just created a pretty delicious cocktail this evening, if I do say so myself. The recipe is free to use as you wish:

Foggy Morning
1 1/2 oz Stolichnaya Vanil
1/2 oz Earl Grey simple syrup*
1/2 oz Grand Marnier or Curacao
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

Shake with ice for 10 seconds and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a flamed lemon peel.

And here is another nice cocktail I've created:

Imperial Rose

1 oz Stolichnaya Wild Cherry
1 oz Smirnoff Pear
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 oz simple syrup
1/4 oz St. Germain Elderflower
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice for ten seconds and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a food grade rose petal.

But of course, nothing beats a perfect Martini: 2 oz London dry gin, 1 oz dry vermouth, stir with ice 100 times and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel.

* Mix 1 cup of white sugar with one cup of double strength Earl Grey tea and one tablespoon vodka. Stir until dissolved and refrigerate until used.

edit:

Gotta disagree. A good Manhattan, with just the right proportions of sweet vermouth to bourbon, is a thing of beauty.

For me, a perfect Manhattan is 2 oz rye, 1/2 oz each of sweet and dry vermouth, and two dashes of Angostura Bitters. But to each his own.

thorgrim29
2011-06-29, 11:49 PM
Just fixed myself a nice variation on the american grog, a lime, half a lemon, 2 teaspoons of honey, a few fingers of rum (Barbancourt 8 years) and hot water in an english pint glass.

arguskos
2011-06-30, 12:23 AM
*glory*
Every single thing in this man's post? GLORIOUS IN ALL WAYS. I heartily approve, sir.

Keld Denar
2011-06-30, 12:37 AM
If you're a vodka connoisseur, I'd suggest the Barca Lounge on Cap Hill; they have an excellent selection.

I've been there. They have QUITE the impressive selection of beers as well, including a handful I had never heard of but was delighted to try. I'll have to sample the vodkas when I return.

Funny story, one of the best vodkas I've ever had is Kirkland brand (thats the store brand at Costco). Don't laugh, but its 5x distilled, compared to something like Grey Goose which is only 3x distilled. Its so pure...delicious! And CHEAP! Only problem is, you can't buy it in Costco in Washington due to state liquor laws, but California is not THAT far away...

Nepenthe
2011-06-30, 12:59 AM
+1 Manhattan

2 Parts Bourbon (I prefer Knob Creek)
1 Part Sweet Vermouth
Dash of Bitters
Garnish with Cherry

Funny story, one of the best vodkas I've ever had is Kirkland brand (thats the store brand at Costco).Their whiskey is actually quite good too.

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-30, 01:11 AM
Margarita, I love tequila!

Serpentine
2011-06-30, 03:29 AM
Just a curious Brit here, but what exactly is Green Cordial?It's ah... cordial that's green? I believe it's nominally lime flavoured.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41784_2368649745_2116_n.jpg
If you have lot of it, it can make medication stay in your body for longer than it otherwise would, with the possibility of it building up to toxic levels. Some meds are higher-risk than others, so it isn't always mentioned on the leaflet if there's not much risk. Unfortunately buspirone, which I take for my crazy, is extra-sensitive to it, and you can end up with between 4 and 9 times as much in your body as you thought you had.Whoops, missed this explanation. But, to reiterate: bizarre.
Heh, yeah. Is it that obvious?Sweeeeeet :smallbiggrin: It's just a term I haven't heard used anywhere else, which I find a bit of a shame.

Asta Kask
2011-06-30, 08:31 AM
It's not really that it stays longer in the bloodstream, it's that less is broken down in the intestine. The compound (I think it's called bergamottin) is not absorbed into the bloodstream.

Feytalist
2011-06-30, 09:18 AM
The ubiquitous drink where I'm from is brandy and coke. Very similar to rum and coke. It's... an acquired taste.

Another favourite is Amarula, a fruity, very creamy liqueur made from indigenous fruit.

The best and insanest mix I've ever had is a shooter called Heaven and Earth, which was equal parts stroh rum, Bols Blue, Amarula and cream. The stoh sinks to the bottom, while the amarula/cream floats at the top. If you drink it correctly (ie. all at once) you get the kick of the stroh without the horrible aftertase, blended with the cream and creamy Amarula. It's brilliant.

rakkoon
2011-06-30, 09:25 AM
Amarula. That's with the drunk elephant logo right?

Feytalist
2011-06-30, 09:43 AM
Amarula. That's with the drunk elephant logo right?

Heh, that's the one yes.

Interestingly, elephants, baboons and other animals have been known to get completely hammered on the marula fruit. Makes for some highly amusing nature programs :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-06-30, 09:46 AM
Birds often get drunk on rotten fruit. I was looking for some first aid advice for an injured bird I found, and there was a lot of information on how to help drunk birds.
(basically it's like you would a human: put them somewhere dark and quiet until they get over the hangover, then let them go)

Obrysii
2011-06-30, 09:50 AM
Irish carbombs and Sweet Old Fashions are my favorites.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-30, 09:54 AM
Funny story, one of the best vodkas I've ever had is Kirkland brand (thats the store brand at Costco). Don't laugh, but its 5x distilled, compared to something like Grey Goose which is only 3x distilled. Its so pure...delicious! And CHEAP! Only problem is, you can't buy it in Costco in Washington due to state liquor laws, but California is not THAT far away...

Grey Goose is incredibly overrated. If you want a reasonably priced, quality vodka, I recommend Luksusowa. It's my standard mixing vodka, and it's pretty fantastic for the money. If none can be found(as was the case last night...maryland moves from a 6 to 9% alcohol tax on july 1, so booze buying is crazy atm), I go with Russian Standard.

Pink is my favorite shooting vodka(though I occasionally mix it). It's a bit pricy, but quite worthwhile. Excellent on taste, and I find the guarana nicely counteracts the tired side effect many people get from drinking. It's not excessive, like the disgusting red bull/vodka mix many people drink.

Feytalist
2011-06-30, 09:56 AM
Birds often get drunk on rotten fruit. I was looking for some first aid advice for an injured bird I found, and there was a lot of information on how to help drunk birds.
(basically it's like you would a human: put them somewhere dark and quiet until they get over the hangover, then let them go)

I personally think they just like to get rat-arsed.

It has been noted that the animals will rather go for the fermented fruit than the ripe ones. And watching a drunk elephant try to stay upright is a sight, once seen, never forgotten.

aart lover
2011-06-30, 11:19 AM
3/4 Sprite, 1/4 cherry grenadine. delicious:smallsmile:

heh heh, always wondered if that was a real thing :smallamused:

Occasional Sage
2011-06-30, 11:41 AM
edit:

For me, a perfect Manhattan is 2 oz rye, 1/2 oz each of sweet and dry vermouth, and two dashes of Angostura Bitters. But to each his own.

I see what you did there! :smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2011-06-30, 05:15 PM
Annnnnd, Sex in My Mouth, which....you know, I have no idea what's in it, but my favorite bar tender at my favorite bar makes it for me every time I walk in =P

Google is actually unsure, but this sounds plausibly close to being a variant of the Sex On The Beach:
* 1 part Liqueur, peach
* 1 part Schnapps, watermelon
* 1 part Southern Comfort
* 1 part Raspberry Juice

Knaight
2011-06-30, 06:52 PM

The number of times vodka is distilled isn't a very good measure of quality. A family friend owns a local vodka distillery, and she has said that its not uncommon for distilleries with low grade equipment who need to distill over and over to get the result decent equipment gets quickly will advertise how many times they have distilled their vodka.

thorgrim29
2011-06-30, 09:15 PM
Apparently (think I saw this on Mythbusters) you can pass a cheap vodka a few times in a brita filter and improve it dramatically.

Science Officer
2011-06-30, 10:21 PM
I'll have to second the Arnold Palmer, Iced Tea and Lemonade is delicious.

Saint Anti
2011-06-30, 10:38 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I prefer 50% cherry coke, 20% Dr. Pepper, 30% Root Beer.

I'm da Rogue!
2011-07-01, 05:19 AM
Gin, tonic and squeeze half a lemon in it.

I like to squeeze half a lemon in vodka or in tequilla, and that's it.

In the winter I just drink scotch. No ice, no soda, thank you very much.

Borgh
2011-07-01, 08:40 AM
Berenburg-coke or Beco

Beetenburg is a dutch drink that (like most dutch distilled things) is gin with added spices. On its own it is very smooth and has a particularly warming taste.
You can mix it like the normal shot/glass but I prefer the Inverted Beco. One shot of coke, fill up the glass with Beerenburg. Tastes pretty much like the normal version but will get you hammered like a baby in a forge.

Qaera
2011-07-01, 10:53 AM
Berenburg

Beetenburg

Beerenburg

Which is it? :smallconfused:

Gryffon
2011-07-01, 11:03 AM
I'm definitely a Captain and Coke person. I had the chance to try out the Private Stock Captain this past weekend and was very happy with the outcome. It's a very smooth ride.

I also tried some Kraken as well, but have not gone with it mixed yet.

Lime is optional.

Borgh
2011-07-01, 11:09 AM
Which is it? :smallconfused:

Beetenburg was spelling mistake
Officially it is called Beerenburg, after the inventor.
Most places call it Berenburg as that makes more sense in modern dutch.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-01, 11:13 AM
Google is actually unsure, but this sounds plausibly close to being a variant of the Sex On The Beach:
* 1 part Liqueur, peach
* 1 part Schnapps, watermelon
* 1 part Southern Comfort
* 1 part Raspberry Juice
Maybe? I know it turns out purple, so... :smalltongue:
Thanks, Tyck.

I'm definitely a Captain and Coke person. I had the chance to try out the Private Stock Captain this past weekend and was very happy with the outcome. It's a very smooth ride.

Man, I don't typically do rum, but the Private Stock was fantastic.

Qaera
2011-07-01, 11:19 AM
Beetenburg was spelling mistake
Officially it is called Beerenburg, after the inventor.
Most places call it Berenburg as that makes more sense in modern dutch.

Ah, thanks.

Dvandemon
2011-07-01, 11:27 AM
I usually just do a suicide of whatever soda's open in the fridge.

Qaera
2011-07-01, 11:30 AM
For me, suicides end up either completely terrible, or completely epic, in which case you wish you could remember the proportions of drinks that went in to recreate the nectar. Alas, it is never so.

Galathir
2011-07-01, 09:30 PM
Another rather fantastic cocktail is 2 oz. Stolichnaya Ohranj and 1 oz. Lillet Blanc. Stir well with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a spiral of orange peel.

It's delightfully smooth and the mellow citrus and oaky vanilla notes from the Lillet blend perfectly with the vodka giving it a slightly creamy mouthfeel and a rich character that is almost reminiscent of a orange creamsicle. Use another brand of orange vodka at your own risk.

thorgrim29
2011-07-02, 12:17 AM
Drinking a hot cocoa with baileys right now, it's fantastic (milk and baileys in a pot, whip the cocoa in progressively)

Moff Chumley
2011-07-02, 02:55 AM
Ooh, that sounds nice. I'll have to give that a try at some point.

Deth Muncher
2011-07-02, 04:24 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot to say my flavorite mixed drink.

Non-Alcoholic:
Arnold Palmers.

Alcoholic, for funsies:
Jagerbombs - because seriously, why waste your time with things that can kill you like 4 Loko when you could instead just do this?

Alcoholic, for being classy at a party:
Butterbeer. That's right, the Harry Potter drink. There's lots of variations, but the one I've generally had has butter, butterscotch schnapps, and either cream soda or ginger ale as the base.

Alcoholic, shot:
The Vulcan Mind Meld - equal parts Ouzo and Bacardi 151.

Qaera
2011-07-02, 11:36 AM
Virgin butterbeers are delicious. No idea what goes in them.

Dacia Brabant
2011-07-02, 04:20 PM
Gin and Tonic in the summer (or Arnold Palmers if I need to stay sober), Irish Boilermakers the rest of the year--except for the one time per year I go bowling, then it's White Russians for obvious reasons.

Lady Tialait
2011-07-06, 01:49 PM
My parties always have two drinks, White Russians, and Wizard's Mind Bomb.
White Russians are well know, Wizard's Mind Bomb is my personal thing. Allow me to tell you know to make one.

http://www.zybez.net/img/idbimgb/1907.gif
Wizard's Mind Bomb
5 parts Blue Curacao
5 parts Silver Rum
1 part Pomagrante Juice
1 part Lemon Juice
2 parts Vanilla Liquid Creamer

Serve over ice. Or if you want a neat effect dry ice.

boj0
2011-07-06, 02:01 PM
Personal favorite is the White Russian, however I am know at certain parties to rock the Liquid Cocaine (unlike the previous poster who said it, locally we do it 1/3 Bacardi 151, 1/3 Jagermeister, 1/3 Goldshlager) :smallamused:

A fun one I discovered at the local dive was the Lindsay Lohan (a red headed slut mixed with Coke). :smallwink:

And, of course, ordering a Buttered Nipple is always hilarious.

Dvandemon
2011-07-07, 07:43 AM
For me, suicides end up either completely terrible, or completely epic, in which case you wish you could remember the proportions of drinks that went in to recreate the nectar. Alas, it is never so.

I find it comes out better if your use more acidic flavors such as orange or lemon-lime as a base (i.e. a little at the bottom) and then work through the midpoint with a sweeter flavor and finish it off with something robust such as cola.

Qaera
2011-07-07, 07:48 AM
Far too formulaic, sir! One must blindly grope for a bottle, pour for 1d20 seconds, and continue until it is overflowing! This is the true suicide!:smalltongue:
Man, if suicide wasn't the name of this concept, I would be worried for myself. :smallcool:
edit: But I shall have to try your civilized suicide tonight.

mootoall
2011-07-07, 10:54 AM
I like a good cranberry and orange juice mix. Add vodka to taste. Vodka Sunset, I think it's called?

Keld Denar
2011-07-07, 12:49 PM
About 2 weeks ago, I had a really great mix. It was orange juice and a blueberry/acai/pomegranite blend juice mixed together. Delicious. Could have added vodka and you probably wouldn't even recognize it.

skywalker
2011-07-08, 01:04 AM
Any variation of long island iced tea...

Margaritas too. Both are common enough you can look 'em up on Wikipedia.

Right now, I'm drinking 3 parts 7-Up to 1 part Firefly (sweet tea flavored vodka). It's okay, I guess. 7-Up was the only vaguely lemon-flavored mixer I had.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-08, 11:25 AM
My parties always have two drinks, White Russians, and Wizard's Mind Bomb.
White Russians are well know, Wizard's Mind Bomb is my personal thing.

Hi, this is Moff Chumley and I approve of this post. I'm gonna have to give that one a try at some point...

Azuyomi244
2011-07-08, 06:14 PM
I like 1/4 Cheerwine 1/4 rootbeer 1/4 Dr Pepper 1/4 ice cream.
Also 3/4 Coke 1/4 milk tastes really good.

Lady Tialait
2011-07-09, 02:37 AM
Hi, this is Moff Chumley and I approve of this post. I'm gonna have to give that one a try at some point...

They are pretty good. If you try one you have to tell me how you like em.

Sometimes I put a little sugar into the shaker before I shake it. It sweetens it up a little bit. I'm a girl.

Mikhailangelo
2011-07-09, 05:38 AM
The aptly named Dennis the Menace -

Red Aftershock. And Black Aftershock.

Warpfire
2011-07-10, 05:34 AM
Grateful Dead. Tequila, vodka, rum, gin, and raspberry liquer if I remember correctly. Tastes good and...well I'll just say I've done some ridiculous/dumb things after having a few.

skywalker
2011-07-10, 02:40 PM
Grateful Dead. Tequila, vodka, rum, gin, and raspberry liquer if I remember correctly. Tastes good and...well I'll just say I've done some ridiculous/dumb things after having a few.

Yeah, a twist on a Long Island. Most variations are pretty good. I've had a Grateful Dead with blackberry instead. That was quite good.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-10, 03:11 PM
Adventurer blood and lime juice. :smallamused:

Lady Tialait
2011-07-10, 06:00 PM
Adventurer blood and lime juice. :smallamused:

Add a little salt.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-07-10, 07:04 PM
Bourbon and coke.....hold the coke :smallbiggrin:.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-07-10, 07:25 PM
Bourbon and Coke.....hold the Coke :smallbiggrin:.

LaZodiac
2011-07-11, 12:10 PM
Seriously just posting in here to fix the minor forum formatting issue the really long name the last poster had here. It's a minor thing that's just making me :smallfurious: for no reason.

Anyway, I like Root Beer and Cream Soda. These are theoreticaly mixed drinks, though I'm not sure how.

I do have a question though. What could of liquor would you suggest for a new drinker?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-11, 01:47 PM
Seriously just posting in here to fix the minor forum formatting issue the really long name the last poster had here. It's a minor thing that's just making me :smallfurious: for no reason.

Anyway, I like Root Beer and Cream Soda. These are theoreticaly mixed drinks, though I'm not sure how.

I do have a question though. What could of liquor would you suggest for a new drinker?

Honestly? Neat vodka. Why? Because I think that, for a first time drinker, you should taste the alcohol. And also you're least likely to become an alcoholic or binge drinker if you drink vodka, I reason, because it's the most likely to drive you off of alcohol altogether.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-11, 05:48 PM
Honestly? Neat vodka. Why? Because I think that, for a first time drinker, you should taste the alcohol. And also you're least likely to become an alcoholic or binge drinker if you drink vodka, I reason, because it's the most likely to drive you off of alcohol altogether.

Listen to the steampunk skull. He bears good advice (and doom, but only occasionally).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-11, 06:58 PM
Listen to the steampunk skull. He bears good advice (and doom, but only occasionally).

:smallwink: Sigged?

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-11, 07:24 PM
:smallwink: Sigged?

Sure, go ahead.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-11, 08:28 PM

Offering the completely opposite perspective, Bailey's. Or Malibu. Or, to a slightly lesser extent, Kahlua. Or a mixture of Bailey's and Kahlua. And then add vodka, over ice in an old-fashion glass. That's the proper way of doing things.

Lady Tialait
2011-07-11, 09:27 PM
Moff...did you just suggest a White Russian to our friend here?

Personally, I suggest what my first drink ever way, for a first time drinker. A shot of rum chased with a can of energy drink. I was hyper and drunk and it was awesome.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-11, 09:32 PM
Half shot irish cream
Half shot Kahlua.
Top with Whipped cream

No hands. :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-11, 09:43 PM

Personally, I suggest what my first drink ever way, for a first time drinker. A shot of rum chased with a can of energy drink. I was hyper and drunk and it was awesome.

Oh man, that can get you messed.
Fun, but make sure you're with people you trust. :smallsmile:

LaZodiac
2011-07-11, 09:50 PM

The energy drink sounds less appetizing then the liquor, honestly.

Also, am I to assume Moff is being cruel for suggesting that drink to a first timer?

Lady Tialait
2011-07-11, 10:04 PM
The energy drink sounds less appetizing then the liquor, honestly.

Also, am I to assume Moff is being cruel for suggesting that drink to a first timer?

Not at all, it's very yummy and not harsh. It's a good party drink. However, till you know how much you can handle, you are likely to drink too much of it. Heck, I know my limit and still do from time to time.

I suggest something that has a bite to it. Strait shots are good, but can turn you off of alchohol all together if you take shots of the wrong things. Mix'd drinks are hard to gage your tolerance because you don't get a flavor along with effect.

I personally love sweet and tangy drinks. Shapps is a good thing to drink if you want to try liquor for the first time.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-11, 10:10 PM
The whole limit thing is a problem with lots of mixed drinks, when they have fruit or something else in them. If it doesn't taste like alcohol, it's WAY to easy to overdo it.

Whiskey is great, but it's also one of the really tricky ones for new drinkers...
I have friends who swear by tequila. I wouldn't know about that, never really had many tequila drinks.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-11, 10:23 PM

Of course I did. Specifically, the variation made entirely outta liquor. Tasty, but really alcoholic, and you can't ignore it. :smalltongue:

As far as straight shots, rum tends to go down easier than whiskey, and tequila's harder than either, in my experience.

Lady Tialait
2011-07-11, 10:55 PM
Nothing like a nice tumbler of whiskey over ice.

I take my rum with a chaser. My worst idea ever was chasing rum with pixie sticks....bad idea.

Feytalist
2011-07-12, 04:15 AM
Most hard alcohol is an acquired taste, unfortunately.

I would actually recommend wine for a newbie. The good stuff, because the difference between good wine and bad wine is astronomical.

Then again, I might just be biased because I grew up surrounded by wine.

skywalker
2011-07-12, 11:06 AM
Nothing like a nice tumbler of whiskey over ice.

I take my rum with a chaser. My worst idea ever was chasing rum with pixie sticks....bad idea.

I think you must mean... Awesome idea.

I would actually recommend wine for a newbie. The good stuff, because the difference between good wine and bad wine is astronomical.

This was my first drink (aside from a stolen swig of some cooking rum while parents were away :smallredface:). Pretty decent, actually, the booze doesn't hit you quite so hard.

My first liquor drink was scotch and coke (idiot teens getting into the liquor cabinet, I apologize to anyone who understands the travesty of pouring anything other than water into scotch), and that was also quite good. Very, very smooth.

My recommendation is to make sure you use quality mixers and your liquor is very, very smooth. Doesn't have to be expensive, just ask somebody you trust to make you something smooth.

Offering the completely opposite perspective, Bailey's. Or Malibu. Or, to a slightly lesser extent, Kahlua. Or a mixture of Bailey's and Kahlua. And then add vodka, over ice in an old-fashion glass. That's the proper way of doing things.

Or this.