PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gishy Classes

Larpus
2011-06-28, 02:22 PM
Hello everyone, I'm going to play on a rather new scenario and would like some insight of the playground on my build and concept ideas:

The world we'll play at is a WWII steam-punk world where, depending on where we play, arcane and/or divine magic can be ill seen and maybe even punishable by death.

Still, being the prick that I am, I want to play an arcane caster but with a catch: I want to be able to do something without casting if needed.

It'll be a 4 or 5 people group with a confirmed long-range shooter (possibly a Ranger) and an Artificer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer) (not the Eberron one, check the link).

For rules and preferences:
- Keep multiclassing to a minimum due to being rather hard to roleplay (PrC is not considered multiclassing), especially for things that are obvious mechanic choices, though a dip or two in a physical class is overall accepted.

- We'll roll for our stats, having a free 18 and rolling the other 5, so MaD might not be an issue at all, so no real preference over options that use few scores.

- There are firearms in the world, but the DM hasn't decided on their rules yet, all I know is that they'll most probably use a feat per type and a craft and/or profession to keep working.

- Magically enhanced items and potions seem to be acceptable, even in places where arcane magic is punishable by death.

- Bard is not an option. I know they can be very powerful and deadly in the right hands, the only problem is that mine aren't the right hands.

- Only Pathfinder stuff is allowed, no conversion from 3.5.

- It is a Good or Neutral-oriented campaign, I'm allowed to be Evil, but not that evil. On a similar note the DM doesn't like necromancy, so chances are I won't be using undeads (though I do think I'd enjoy them).

- Starting level will be 1-3, possibly 4 or 5, but unlikely. Still, I'd like a character that can still pull his weight in mid levels as we might actually play that long.

- 3rd party stuff might be allowed or might not be allowed, so I'd prefer if there is not too much dependency on that for the character to work.

The concept I'll be using in order to conceal my magic is to make them not look like magic (such as putting the ingredients inside a small ball of sorts or simply getting Eschew Materials) and lie through my teeth.

I also consider having an "alternate identity" as a masked hero/villain to be a possibility.

After looking over the class selection, here are the ones I considered:

Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist)
Fluff: The obvious and prime choice as the spells take form of "potions", also sounds amusing to make a Chaotic junkie-like character who acts like a random stoned idiot but is clever and intelligent when needed.

Meta: Thinking of either going bomberman and mix damage and crowd control or Mr.Hyde and abusing mutagen (possibly PrCing into Master Chymist). Wonder if it would be interesting to dip into Fighter or something for proficiencies. I also contemplate going Vivisectionist and trade Bomb for Sneak Attack if I go Mr.Hyde. Not to mention that the number of skills is simply godly.

Cons: Learned spellcaster, which might be a problem for possibly being unable to learn from wizards (who might not exist). Still, if I understood it right, as long as the spell is in my list, I can use either arcane or divine items and copy the spell from scrolls. The medium BAB also worries me a bit in the case of Mr.Hyde.

Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus)
Fluff: Sadly not much going for him here...

Meta: He works just as a Duskblade, which I've toyed a bit in the past and enjoyed, plus he can enchant his own weapon for a duration, which sounds quite interesting and powerful, especially when that means I can have a +5 Flamming Chair. I'd also consider dipping into Fighter for Shield or going Staff Magus and also get a discount for being able to keep using light armor without too much penalty.

Cons: Doesn't seem like the best choice, medium BAB worries me, without 4 good scores he won't work at all and he is also a learned caster, made even worse if the Alchemist can indeed learn from divine scrolls (even so, I'm more likely to find other Alchemists than Magi if we go to arcane hating lands). Also, can't really be a skill monkey.

Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner)
Fluff: Since the visual of the Eidolon is up to the Summoner, I'd have a robot/golem-like Eidolon. Would also most probably grab Eschew to have no problems with my spells.

Meta: Will most probably have a bipedal weapon wielder Eidolon. Having the need for few scores is also a plus, especially when one of them is Cha (for Bluff). Also a natural caster, which can be very invaluable depending on where the adventure takes place.

Cons: The only true con here is the meh amount of skills coupled with little need for the Int stat, still, with some luck it can be a 14 or 16 since the class needs few scores to work.

Joshinthemosh
2011-06-28, 02:49 PM
First-what is the starting level?

Second-You're DM seems to be okay with 3rd party stuff so how would he feel about the Super Genius Guides? Specifically http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/s/archon or http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/s/vanguard It would give the whole gish thing.

Third-I know you said no bard but what about Bard into Dragon Disciple? Or maybe even Sorcerer into Draon Disciple?

Larpus
2011-06-28, 03:08 PM
First-what is the starting level?

Second-You're DM seems to be okay with 3rd party stuff so how would he feel about the Super Genius Guides? Specifically http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/s/archon or http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/s/vanguard It would give the whole gish thing.

Third-I know you said no bard but what about Bard into Dragon Disciple? Or maybe even Sorcerer into Draon Disciple?
I apologize, thought I had typed the starting level, it'll be 1-3, possibly 4 or 5, but very unlikely, so yeah, low level stuff but can be a long campaign, so I'd plan a build for mid-level play.

I'll give those two classes a look, the DM reserved himself the right to disallow 3rd party stuff, but that is not an instant 'no'.

As for Dragon Disciple, don't think it would work for the overall concept due to the massive change in looks without that many effortless ways to counter or disguise it.

EDIT: Though if you have any ideas on how to make that work I'm all eyes.

McSmack
2011-06-28, 03:23 PM
You could do magus pretty well.

Personally I've toyed with the idea of playing a bomberman alchemist.

The robot summoner thing could work well as a mad-scientist type. you could disguise your buff spells by using a remote control to activate different features or whatnot. You could have gadgets that you give your party members that act as a screen for your buff spells. "Drat, you're time-enhancement belt is on the fritz again, here let me adjust it. <cast Haste>. There ya go!"

Have your magus carry a battery pack lookin' thing around with him for when he channels shocking grasp through his weapons.

Curious
2011-06-28, 04:48 PM
The Magus becomes less MAD when you realise a few important things:
1. You must have one hand free to use your spell combat, and
2. The feat Dervish Dance exists.

Dervish Dance allows you to use your Dex mod to hit and damage while wielding a scimitar, but with the tax of requiring two ranks in Perform (Dance) and Weapon Finesse. With Dervish Dance, your order of stat importance now looks something like this:
Int>Dex>Con

Prime32
2011-06-28, 04:52 PM
Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner)
Fluff: Since the visual of the Eidolon is up to the Summoner, I'd have a robot/golem-like Eidolon. Would also most probably grab Eschew to have no problems with my spells.

Meta: Will most probably have a bipedal weapon wielder Eidolon. Having the need for few scores is also a plus, especially when one of them is Cha (for Bluff). Also a natural caster, which can be very invaluable depending on where the adventure takes place.

Cons: The only true con here is the meh amount of skills coupled with little need for the Int stat, still, with some luck it can be a 14 or 16 since the class needs few scores to work.The Synthesist archetype is great for gishes, can be fluffed as power armor, and lets you have an alter ego. Even if you use another class, take at least one level.

One fluff explanation for why you can't summon minions while your eidolon is out is that your eidolon is a combination of your minions.

Curious
2011-06-28, 04:56 PM
I would also suggest Inqusitor and Bard for possible gish builds. The Bards music can be useful even when in areas where magic is prohibited, and the Inqusitor has teamwork feats and good combat capabilities for when it can't use its spells.

Larpus
2011-06-28, 09:33 PM
The robot summoner thing could work well as a mad-scientist type. you could disguise your buff spells by using a remote control to activate different features or whatnot. You could have gadgets that you give your party members that act as a screen for your buff spells. "Drat, you're time-enhancement belt is on the fritz again, here let me adjust it. <cast Haste>. There ya go!"

Have your magus carry a battery pack lookin' thing around with him for when he channels shocking grasp through his weapons.
Yes, that is more or less what I had in mind, thought I didn't develop it to that extent yet, if I play a Summoner without a good Int score, I'll just make up complicated sounding words and roll Bluff left and right to convince people that I'm talking "science" and that the Eidolon is a creature I made myself (or a robot).

The Magus becomes less MAD when you realise a few important things:
1. You must have one hand free to use your spell combat, and
2. The feat Dervish Dance exists.

Dervish Dance allows you to use your Dex mod to hit and damage while wielding a scimitar, but with the tax of requiring two ranks in Perform (Dance) and Weapon Finesse. With Dervish Dance, your order of stat importance now looks something like this:
Int>Dex>Con
I didn't know that feat, that is indeed something incredible to fix the Magus' MAD problem.

The Synthesist archetype is great for gishes, can be fluffed as power armor, and lets you have an alter ego. Even if you use another class, take at least one level.

One fluff explanation for why you can't summon minions while your eidolon is out is that your eidolon is a combination of your minions.
I read the Synthesist, my only issue with that archetype is that I believe it is weaker than a straight Summoner, since you cannot have as many actions in combat as before. With the Eidolon independent from you, "you" get to attack and use a spell in the same round instead of one or the other.

I would also suggest Inqusitor and Bard for possible gish builds. The Bards music can be useful even when in areas where magic is prohibited, and the Inqusitor has teamwork feats and good combat capabilities for when it can't use its spells.
While the Inquisidor indeed sounds like a great class, I'm not too big on divine casters, don't really like the roleplay implications of actually following a deity or ideal.

As for Bard, as I said, I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't work in my hands and since I've seen a Bard played to its full extent, I cannot bring myself to make my pathetic performance with the class and be happy about it.

Psyren
2011-06-28, 09:40 PM
What about a Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior)? Psionics fit extremely well in steampunk (no guano to fling around) and hiding your powers would be cake. You would also be viable at all levels.

Larpus
2011-06-29, 11:02 PM
What about a Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior)? Psionics fit extremely well in steampunk (no guano to fling around) and hiding your powers would be cake. You would also be viable at all levels.
Well, that's sadly not really an option, I've tried already, but never could quite understand how psionics work, the DM is in a similar boat and seeing as he's already creating a world from scratch, don't think he wants even more stuff to check about.

Anyway, on a brief update, I talked to him a bit about my class choices and he suggested the Alchemist since that gave him some sort of campaign idea...so I guess I'll go with that, the class seems interesting and decent enough, just have to decide if a bomberman would be more effective or a Mr.Hyde would be better (so far there is no melee guy on the party).

Othniel Edden
2011-06-30, 05:53 AM
Small sized cavalier and magus. Play yourself up as a spell-lance.:smallsmile:

Andreaz
2011-06-30, 07:15 AM
Well, that's sadly not really an option, I've tried already, but never could quite understand how psionics work, the DM is in a similar boat and seeing as he's already creating a world from scratch, don't think he wants even more stuff to check about.

Anyway, on a brief update, I talked to him a bit about my class choices and he suggested the Alchemist since that gave him some sort of campaign idea...so I guess I'll go with that, the class seems interesting and decent enough, just have to decide if a bomberman would be more effective or a Mr.Hyde would be better (so far there is no melee guy on the party).

I won't push much on the psionics thing but here's a very very very short resume.
1) They're casters. "psionic" just a third type of magic to accompany "arcane" and "divine"
2) They use mana, like you see in videogames (Diablo, for example)
3) Their powers cost mana, and can burn more mana to beef the effect
4) The amount of mana any power can use is limited by your caster level
================================================== ========
And on the magus... You can go either for STR or for DEX. DEX will never use all the armor potential, and STR will have a slight ac disadvantage in the beginning, but either can pretty much dump the other. The STR route will be behind in ac until the higher levels, but will do more damage and won't cost a feat.
An important thing to remember is that unless you are using Spell Combat (the full attack + cast feature), you can wield your 1h weapon with both hands and benefit from all the boosts 2h weapons get (extra str to damage, better power attack ratio). Spell Strike does not suffer this limitation, so whenever you have to move more than a 5' step you won't be able to use spell combat anyway.