PDA

View Full Version : Wings of Angels (Favored Soul Utility Power)

RebelRogue
2011-06-28, 03:07 PM
So as I've gotten back into DMing, the prevous DM went back to playing his Avenger, but now, as a Favored Soul he has gained the following level 12 Utility Power:

Wings of Angels Favored Soul Utility 12
Your lower body fades into swirling mist as you gain mastery of your airborne movement
Daily • Divine, Healing, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, your fly speed increases by 4.
and you can hover. In addition, while you aren't blooded,
you gain regeneration equal to your Wisdom modifier.

The problem is, that he will only get a Fly Speed at level 16. In other words, this is a pretty sucky power until then (the FAQ (http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1795) essentially agrees with this).

So I was thinking: would it be overpowered to add this:

Special: If you do not have a fly speed, you gain a fly speed of 6 (total) until the end of your next turn.

This means that a burst of flight is possible once a day. Seems appropriate to me.

Sipex
2011-06-28, 03:30 PM
I think the FAQ is wrong, 'fly speed increases by 4' sounds to me like a caveat for 'If your character is one of the few that can actually fly by level 12, here's something which makes this option not suck'. Because the average PC at level 12 can't fly. In fact, most PCs gain the ability to fly via paragon path powers.

I would say your interpretation is completely reasonable.

Hidden Sanity
2011-06-28, 03:57 PM
I'd personally rule that as 'your fly speed increases(from zero) by 4(to four)'

Surrealistik
2011-06-28, 04:02 PM
I'd personally rule that as 'your fly speed increases(from zero) by 4(to four)'

This. 10char.

gurban
2011-06-28, 07:14 PM
I would stick to "Increases by Four". There are a number of powers(Wings of Vengeance, Wings of light, Sorcerous Scirocco) Which grant a fly speed. Also, all characters adventuring in The Astral Sea have a fly speed of 2. So, just be careful with giving him a fly speed all the time, it might make him OP. Not neccessarily OP against the monsters, but OP in relation to the other adventurers.

RebelRogue
2011-06-28, 08:05 PM
I would stick to "Increases by Four". There are a number of powers(Wings of Vengeance, Wings of light, Sorcerous Scirocco) Which grant a fly speed. Also, all characters adventuring in The Astral Sea have a fly speed of 2. So, just be careful with giving him a fly speed all the time, it might make him OP. Not neccessarily OP against the monsters, but OP in relation to the other adventurers.
He's getting a permanent fly speed in a few levels anyway. Getting the benefit (once a day!) four levels earlier hardly seems all that balance-skewing.

Surrealistik
2011-06-28, 08:41 PM
He's getting a permanent fly speed in a few levels anyway. Getting the benefit (once a day!) four levels earlier hardly seems all that balance-skewing.

And being a Stance it only lasts until the next short rest, or 5 minutes, whichever comes first.

WitchSlayer
2011-06-28, 11:20 PM
Speaking of which, favored soul is kind of crazy when you think about how early you're getting flight. I mean there's that EPIC DESTINY that gives you angel wings but you have to LAND at the end of your movement! AND THIS INFERIOR WINGINESS REPLACES YOUR SUPERIOR FAVORED SOUL WINGS.

I MEAN COME ON.

evirus
2011-06-29, 02:21 AM
I would run it with the same wording as resistance. You gain a fly speed of 4 and must end your movement on a solid surface. If you already have a fly speed, increase it by 4.

Sipex
2011-06-29, 09:51 AM
Stances end at the end of an encounter or after 5 minutes I thought. Not until next extended rest.

Think of it this way. 4e is very much about having your cake and eating it too. When you get an ability the rules expect you to be able to use it immediately, that's why you got the ability after all. I can't think of any simple set up (ie: Not hybrids or multiclassing) which requires you to plan ahead, lest you not be able to use your abilities. It's just not part of the design philosophy.

I'd say go with what you want. If you're REALLY unsure, tell your player you think it shouldn't make him OP but ask if he's willing to run it as a 'test phase' first to make sure.

edit: Keep in mind, avengers stick to a target and attack at melee range so he can't become overpowered by hanging up in the air and firing at his targets. I think this is just to allow him to fight flying targets more easily.

Surrealistik
2011-06-29, 10:11 AM
Stances actually conclude at the end of 5 minutes from when you use them (unless otherwise stated of course), as per page 190 of the Rules Compendium with respect to 'End of Encounter' durations.