PDA

View Full Version : Ditching original prereqs when they're repeated

Draxar
2011-06-28, 03:55 PM
You need all of the prerequisites of a class or a feat, or you lose the benefits of that class/feat/whatever. However, what happens if that class provides that prerequisite as well, could you then remove that prereq, and keep the benefits of the class?

The specific example I'm thinking of is Ordained Champion which has "Able to cast Magic Weapon as a Divine Spell" as a prereq, then gives you the spells of the War Domain which has as its level one spell… Magic Weapon. As a Favoured Soul, can I take Magic Weapon, start into the class, then swap out the non-domain Magic Weapon?

Specific text from Complete Champion, as it's not just 'gain it as a domain' as that'd just let you pick spells from it, by Complete Divine's rules on such.

Bonus Domain : If you are a cleric, you gain the War domain as a third domain. If you already have the War domain, you can instead choose any other domain granted by your deity as your third domain. If you have no cleric levels, you can add the War domain spells to your class spell list, but you do not gain its domain ability or any extra spell slots for domain spells.

DonDuckie
2011-06-28, 04:14 PM
You would have to use a spell known for the domain version, and then swap out the regular version...

but it's the same spell so I say you can't/shouldn't take it twice as a spell known.

Getting the domain doesn't mean you know the spell. Unless you belong to a class that has know all spells on class spell list; such as beguiler, warmage, dread necromancer.

So you probably could do it, but to no effect...

Draxar
2011-06-28, 04:24 PM
Ahhh. I was misreading it; they go on the spell list, not the spells known. Silly me.

Thurbane
2011-06-28, 09:27 PM
Yep, there's precious few ways to add Spells Known to FS - most options (picking up a Domain, Initiate feats etc.) only expand the spells you can chose with your spells known, and don't grant knowledge of them automatically.

Which reminds me, I really, really need to get around to starting on my Favored Soul handbook...

But in regards to your initial (general) enquiry, if a req for a PrC is later granted by the PrC itself, then yes, you can ditch the initial means of qualifying if you now have it through another source.