PDA

View Full Version : What is this "gnomish quickrazor"?

Flame of Anor
2011-06-28, 04:13 PM
I hear it's so great, but I can't find what book it's from or what it does.

begooler
2011-06-28, 04:16 PM
It is an exotic weapon in Races of Stone that can be drawn as a free action, and then sheathed as a free action. The idea behind this is that you can have a hand free to cast spells.

Treblain
2011-06-28, 04:17 PM
It's meant for casters with a feat that lets you attack and cast while using it. The reason it's good is that every attack with it counts as drawing it, which synergizes with Iaijitsu Focus, a skill that does extra damage when you first draw a weapon.

erikun
2011-06-28, 04:18 PM
Gnome Quickrazor
Races of Stone
Exotic Weapon
1d4, 19-20/x2
My be drawn and sheathed by proficient users as a free action

The last part is the key, along with the Iaijutsu Focus skill from Oriental Adventures, to dealing a lot of damage with Factotums and other classes that can select their skills from any available.

Kaje
2011-07-01, 04:41 PM
Basically, it's a weapon that completely unintentionally synergizes with factotums in every single way. They have iaijutsu focus as a class skill, can cast grease once a day, and can even get more attacks after they're done full attacking.

EagleWiz
2011-07-01, 04:46 PM
A specially sharpened throwing gnome with Haste cast on it.

Alefiend
2011-07-01, 06:21 PM
A specially sharpened throwing gnome with Haste cast on it.

I like this far more than the RAW version. The GQR always struck me as a good way for wielders to lose fingers.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-01, 06:28 PM
The gnomish quickrazor is what happens when a frustrated wizard decides to pursue his long-denied ambition to be a barber.

Lateral
2011-07-01, 09:06 PM
It is a silly weapon that kills people dead quickly. Hilarious.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-01, 09:27 PM
It is a silly weapon that kills people dead quickly. Hilarious.

Silly? Do you really think this is a silly weapon?*
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vzgIue97tW4/TDVgrUQeULI/AAAAAAAAACY/Y29oVQl5tww/s1600/assassin3-oxcgn.jpg

*With a bit of re-fluffing TBH

Amnestic
2011-07-01, 09:28 PM
Silly? Do you really think this is a silly weapon?*
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vzgIue97tW4/TDVgrUQeULI/AAAAAAAAACY/Y29oVQl5tww/s1600/assassin3-oxcgn.jpg

*With a bit of re-fluffing TBH

Only until Leonardo Da Vinci upgraded it. Having to lop off your finger to use it? Yeah, I'd call that silly :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-01, 09:31 PM
Oh right, I forgot about that part :smallredface:; but due the fact that full plate exists in the game world, one can assume Renaissance era technology, so no lopping off fingers :smalltongue:

Edit: Besides it is a great excuse to use Regenerate for the intended purpose

JaronK
2011-07-02, 04:52 AM
The other advantage of the weapon is that when you use it, you can then steal Assassin's Creed artwork to use as character artwork.

JaronK

FMArthur
2011-07-02, 07:47 AM
I really do think the gnome quickrazor is one of the cooler and more interesting exotic weapons in the game. It's not really so nonsensical in the context of normal heroic fantasy, despite its realistic use requiring a silly amount of manual dexterity. Its existance serves a purpose, filling an otherwise missing role in terms of imagery, and luckily enough, also fills a role in terms of optimization. That's way better than most exotic weapons.

Hunter Killer
2011-07-02, 10:25 AM
It's the weapon that made me seriously consider ruling that Iaijutsu Focus didn't work with light weapons.

Upon rereading of the skill, I decided that and average of +5d6/+6d6 on each attack at 20th level was not that broken. Good? Yeah, but you have to optimize heavily to make it ridiculous.

I also don't allow Factotums in my games (Never really liked the flavor or the mechanics), so that might also help.

Greenish
2011-07-02, 11:09 AM
That's way better than most exotic weapons.Low bar there, though.

Cieyrin
2011-07-02, 11:29 AM
It's the weapon that made me seriously consider ruling that Iaijutsu Focus didn't work with light weapons.

Upon rereading of the skill, I decided that and average of +5d6/+6d6 on each attack at 20th level was not that broken. Good? Yeah, but you have to optimize heavily to make it ridiculous.

I also don't allow Factotums in my games (Never really liked the flavor or the mechanics), so that might also help.

Like you need Factotum to make it work. Human Paragon works just as well or, if you don't want to be human, go Exemplar. :smallwink:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-02, 11:38 AM
Like you need Factotum to make it work. Human Paragon works just as well or, if you don't want to be human, go Exemplar. :smallwink:

Or expert. Any ten skills as class skills.

Also, an expert with a gnomish quickrazor and Iaijitsu focus would be OP in my group. :smalltongue:

Veyr
2011-07-02, 11:44 AM
Human Paragon would be very convenient for it.

Flame of Anor
2011-07-02, 11:54 AM
Ooh, I just thought. If all skills are class skills for the Factotum, then Speak Language (Druidic) is a class skill for him! Then a bard/cleric could just dip Factotum and have the entry requirements for Fochlucan Lyrist.

Veyr
2011-07-02, 11:59 AM
Speak Language does not work like that. It does not have sub-skills like Knowledge or Craft; it's a single skill that dictates how many languages you know. No character can ever learn Druidic by spending a Skill Point.

Cieyrin
2011-07-02, 12:02 PM
Ooh, I just thought. If all skills are class skills for the Factotum, then Speak Language (Druidic) is a class skill for him! Then a bard/cleric could just dip Factotum and have the entry requirements for Fochlucan Lyrist.

The thing with Druidic isn't that it's unavailable as a skill, it's that it's a secret language used only by Druids and Druids get kicked out for teaching it to other people. It's not a crunch thing, it's a fluff thing.

EDIT:
Speak Language does not work like that. It does not have sub-skills like Knowledge or Craft; it's a single skill that dictates how many languages you know. No character can ever learn Druidic by spending a Skill Point.

A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

Given that they have that clause, you can learn it, you just have to have a druid willing to fall out of druidship, at least temporarily.

Greenish
2011-07-02, 12:04 PM
The thing with Druidic isn't that it's unavailable as a skill, it's that it's a secret language used only by DruidsDragonwrought kobold says "hi". In druidic.

Lateral
2011-07-02, 12:07 PM
Dragonwrought kobold says "hi". In druidic.

It does?

Greenish
2011-07-02, 12:16 PM
It does?Sovereign archetypes are fun, eh?

Veyr
2011-07-02, 12:16 PM
Given that they have that clause, you can learn it, you just have to have a druid willing to fall out of druidship, at least temporarily.
Sorry, I meant you cannot learn Druidic by just spending a Skill Point.

Amnestic
2011-07-02, 12:30 PM
Sorry, I meant you cannot learn Druidic by just spending a Skill Point.

Could fluff it as happening before the game starts so...assuming your DM okays it, I think you could.

And of course, when one non-druid knows the language, everyone can since they lose nothing by spreading it except maybe getting an angry visit from some wildshape cryohydras in the night.

Cieyrin
2011-07-02, 12:45 PM
Could fluff it as happening before the game starts so...assuming your DM okays it, I think you could.

And of course, when one non-druid knows the language, everyone can since they lose nothing by spreading it except maybe getting an angry visit from some wildshape cryohydras in the night.

I just imagine that, should it get out, the Druid circles putting a hit out on the offender that starts with minor harassment ("Why is it whenever I walk outside I get bird poop in my hair!?!" :smallfurious:) and scaling from there ("Gah, there's that bear again! Run!!") till s/he gets sworn to secrecy or becomes a druid themselves.

FMArthur
2011-07-02, 01:47 PM
I just imagine that, should it get out, the Druid circles putting a hit out on the offender that starts with minor harassment ("Why is it whenever I walk outside I get bird poop in my hair!?!" :smallfurious:) and scaling from there ("Gah, there's that bear again! Run!!") till s/he gets sworn to secrecy or becomes a druid themselves.

Surely being shat on by birds and stalked by bears makes one want to connect with nature. :smallbiggrin:

mabriss lethe
2011-07-02, 02:17 PM
suddenly I want to make a gnomish bard with a quick razor and a leather jacket that fights while singing songs from "West Side Story"

Telonius
2011-07-02, 02:30 PM
The thing with Druidic isn't that it's unavailable as a skill, it's that it's a secret language used only by Druids and Druids get kicked out for teaching it to other people. It's not a crunch thing, it's a fluff thing.

Alternately: Be NE, and take something else at first level. At level 2, take an actual level in Druid. Then, get your friendly neighborhood succubus to drain a level from you, willingly failing the saving throw for the level drain to become permanent. (Or, friendly neighborhood succubus successfully tempts you to the evil side and drains the level). Continue advancing in the other class, and make a fortune selling your guide to Druidic (printed only on paper made from Dryads' trees).

MeeposFire
2011-07-02, 04:49 PM
Alternately: Be NE, and take something else at first level. At level 2, take an actual level in Druid. Then, get your friendly neighborhood succubus to drain a level from you, willingly failing the saving throw for the level drain to become permanent. (Or, friendly neighborhood succubus successfully tempts you to the evil side and drains the level). Continue advancing in the other class, and make a fortune selling your guide to Druidic (printed only on paper made from Dryads' trees).

Bopus points if you enter blighter (it says "former druid" not that you have to still be an ex-druid).

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-06, 09:10 PM
alternatively from iajutsu focus, you can use it for the feat flick of the wrist if you're trying to get sneak attack out.

Zombulian
2012-01-26, 09:49 PM
alternatively from iajutsu focus, you can use it for the feat flick of the wrist if you're trying to get sneak attack out.

Or you put use them together :P to use Iajutsu Focus your enemy needs to be flatfooted anyway. And Sneak Attack and IF stack.

Thurbane
2012-01-26, 10:24 PM
I think it's up there with Spiked Chain as among the few exotic weapons worth a feat...

Big Fau
2012-01-26, 10:35 PM
Only until Leonardo Da Vinci upgraded it. Having to lop off your finger to use it? Yeah, I'd call that silly :smalltongue:

Nitpick: Leo didn't do that. Altair did, and put it in the Codex he wrote. Leo applied it to the broken one Ezio brought him.

absolmorph
2012-01-26, 11:06 PM
Or they become a villain whose goal is the complete and total annihilation of nature.
"A cryohydra? Really? Ugh. That's it. Guys, I want to destroy nature."

deuxhero
2012-01-26, 11:12 PM

My prefered method is Loremaster's bonus language.

Wakizashi says hi!

fryplink
2012-01-26, 11:48 PM
Edit: Solved!

Can I ask where Iajustu Focus is instead?

Slipperychicken
2012-01-26, 11:59 PM
Edit: Solved!

Can I ask where Iajustu Focus is instead?

Oriental Adventures.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-27, 12:00 AM
Oriental Adventures a 3.0 Sourcebook.

Edit: Fittingly I was ninja'ed this time it deserves to be ninja instead of swordsage

fryplink
2012-01-27, 12:04 AM
Oriental Adventures a 3.0 Sourcebook.

Edit: Fittingly I was ninja'ed this time it deserves to be ninja instead of swordsage

that would be why my "complete collection of 3.5 books and indexes" doesn't have it (it's not complete, but its pretty close and my FLGS said it was".), but does mention Iajutsu elsewhere.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-27, 12:18 AM
Oriental Adventures was updated to 3.5e in Dragon Magazine #318.

FMArthur
2012-01-27, 12:23 AM
I can describe it for you without a chart or even looking at my book because I use it a lot.

Iaijutsu Focus is a trained-only Charisma-based skill.
When you hit a flat-footed target right after drawing a melee weapon, you roll the skill check to add Xd6 damage to the attack, where X = [result - 5] / 5. Maximum 9d6. It's not precision damage.

edit: Before you decide to look up the update, you should know that it didn't make any changes to Iaijutsu Focus at all.

Adrayll
2012-01-27, 03:27 AM
Does anybody have a link to the Persisted Greater Aura of Somethingoranother build that would spend a few hours "spinning chickens" to have an NI strength bonus, using a quickrazor and the chicken-infested flaw?

absolmorph
2012-01-27, 05:36 AM
Does anybody have a link to the Persisted Greater Aura of Somethingoranother build that would spend a few hours "spinning chickens" to have an NI strength bonus, using a quickrazor and the chicken-infested flaw?
Greater Consumptive Field, and it's only hours if you apply restrictions on free actions. By RAW, you take a single round to achieve it.
Assuming a limit of 10 free actions per round (I'm being restrictive), you get an increase of an average +10 Strength per round. With 20 hours of this, you get a minimum Strength score of... 120,001 Strength, which is a modifier of... +59,995.
This leaves you with 4 hours of adventuring (unless you also Extended it, in which case you can take 40 hours to get a minimum 240,001 Strength with a modifier of +119,995).

My favorite part about this trick is the mental image of some cleric creating a massive mountain of chickens as they furiously spin a tiny blade on their wrist.

FMArthur
2012-01-27, 08:37 AM
NI chicken shenanigans don't involve quickrazors because the free action sheathe is only part of attacks you make with it.

Zombulian
2012-01-27, 09:49 AM
So you use a spell conponent bag! "Oh look another rabbit's foot. Oh and a billion chickens."