PDA

View Full Version : Putting the M in DM

Talya
2011-06-28, 10:53 PM
http://www.hollywood.com/news/Dame_Judi_Dench_Cameos_In_Pirates_4/7726542

Old entertainment news article I found, about Judi Dench's cameo in "On Stranger Tides."

And get this, apparently she’s not only Damne Judi Dench, but Nerdy Dame Judy Dench. Yep, the most badass woman in England plays D&D and DMs for her grand kids. Not badass enough for you? She DMed for Vin Diesel when they filmed The Chronicles of Riddick. Boom. I’m pretty sure we could call her Sir Judi Dench and no one would challenge that.

How would you like to have James Bond's boss as your dungeon master. (Dungeon Mistress? Sounds kinkier...)

Moff Chumley
2011-06-29, 12:28 AM
*raises hand*

That's... incredibly badass.

kpenguin
2011-06-29, 12:30 AM
That's incredibly awesome.

Is it terrible that my first thought upon seeing "M" was the Fritz Lang movie and not the James Bond boss?

Psyren
2011-06-29, 12:41 AM
Yep that's cool. I wonder what edition?

Is there a list somewhere of celebrities that play D&D? (Unlikely or otherwise.)

Talya
2011-06-29, 06:46 AM
Yep that's cool. I wonder what edition?

Is there a list somewhere of celebrities that play D&D? (Unlikely or otherwise.)

First three links from a long chain of google search results...

http://thetorchonline.com/latest/20-celebrities-who-play-dungeons-dragons/
http://www.edmplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86735
http://dndshallneverdie.blogspot.com/2009/03/famous-people-who-play-dungeons-and.html

Serpentine
2011-06-29, 06:52 AM
This came up recently in a thread in Gaming :smalltongue: And it was pretty ossum.

kamikasei
2011-06-29, 06:57 AM
I’m pretty sure we could call her Sir Judi Dench and no one would challenge that.
:smallconfused:

I'm trying to think of a charitable interpretation of what was meant here, and I'm failing.

hamlet
2011-06-29, 07:23 AM
This is old news.

But still very awesome.

Sipex
2011-06-29, 10:43 AM
:smallconfused:

I'm trying to think of a charitable interpretation of what was meant here, and I'm failing.

I think he means she could be officially knighted and nobody would question it.

Am I right?

Tirian
2011-06-29, 10:49 AM

Am I right?

She has been knighted. The implication is that she is so cool that she deserves the title for male knights.

Ashen Lilies
2011-06-29, 10:50 AM
Except the 'Dame' in 'Dame Judi Dench' represents an title/honor equivalent to Sir/Knighthood anyway, so that's not it.

Ninja'd, though I was hoping there was a slightly less sexist interpretation.

kamikasei
2011-06-29, 10:50 AM
Dame is already equivalent in rank to Sir.

Sipex
2011-06-29, 10:52 AM
Oh.

I learned something today.

Are female knights considered 'lesser' than male knights? If so that might explain it.

Otherwise I have no idea.

Tirian
2011-06-29, 10:57 AM
Are female knights considered 'lesser' than male knights? If so that might explain it.

Otherwise I have no idea.

Evidently some people have it in their minds that Sir Paul McCartney is more likely to slay a dragon than Dame Judi Dench, but that is not the Crown's attitude.

Sipex
2011-06-29, 10:58 AM
Ah, so it's not an official thing then.

Well, we're back to square one then. Although I learned stuff about knighthood along the way.

kamikasei
2011-06-29, 11:00 AM
Not officially, as far as I know. But I think you just might be on to something there - hence my original :smallconfused:. Which in truth was more of a :smallannoyed:.

Traab
2011-06-29, 11:00 AM
Well obviously only guys play D&D and equally obviously, guys are cooler than girls. Therefore, This Dame is so cool and badass, she is worthy of being an honorary GUY! Thats HUGE people! it almost never happens that a girl is recognized as cool enough to be a guy.

Ashen Lilies
2011-06-29, 11:09 AM
Evidently some people have it in their minds that Sir Paul McCartney is more likely to slay a dragon than Dame Judi Dench, but that is not the Crown's attitude.

I would certainly hope not. :smalleek:
Anyone with half a brain could see the fallacy present in that line of thinking.
Now, if it were Sir Patrick Stewart or perhaps Sir Terry Pratchett, that would be a matchup worth considering. :smallamused:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-29, 01:33 PM
I think the Matt Damon playing is the most surprising. As for Colbert and Jon Stewart, they're both sooo nerdy, not surprising. And all the metal-heads write about dragons and swordfights, of course they'd play!
The emo band MCR playing I found strange.

Maxios
2011-06-29, 01:39 PM
I heard Robin Williams plays D&D, as well.

Tirian
2011-06-29, 01:51 PM
Now, if it were Sir Patrick Stewart or perhaps Sir Terry Pratchett, that would be a matchup worth considering. :smallamused:

Yeah, Sir Terry probably already has a Holy Grail by now.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-29, 02:51 PM
I would certainly hope not. :smalleek:
Anyone with half a brain could see the fallacy present in that line of thinking.
Sir Terry Pratchett even has a sword (http://www.geekosystem.com/terry-pratchett-sword/) to go with it.

Yeah, Sir Terry probably already has a Holy Grail by now.
I hope so, given said items reported healing properties.:smallfrown:

Eldan
2011-06-29, 05:02 PM
It's not about having a sword. It's about forging your own sword from meteorite iron, then burying it in a secret location for future generations.

I hope it turns the finder into a writer :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2011-06-29, 05:43 PM
Wielding the fabled Sword of Pratchett, a boy must become a man and a hero of prose and of the world. Will he unlock the sword's inner power to realize his true destiny of simultaneously slaying dragons/aliens/eldritchabominations while writing some of the best sci-fi fantasy fiction the world may ever know? Coming this fall to a theater near you!

Tirian
2011-06-29, 06:19 PM
... or it could grant you the proportional strength, speed, and agility of a science fiction writer.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-29, 06:52 PM
Better than the Sword of the Moore. It turns you into a fuzzy faced hobo. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore)

SiuiS
2011-06-29, 07:14 PM
Well obviously only guys play D&D and equally obviously, guys are cooler than girls. Therefore, This Dame is so cool and badass, she is worthy of being an honorary GUY! Thats HUGE people! it almost never happens that a girl is recognized as cool enough to be a guy.

while I'm sure this was all sarcasm, it does have a grain of merit. "Guys", like the homie-buddy-dude-brah' kind of guys, saying someone who is worlds awayfrom them (in many senses of the word) is intended to be a compliment.

It's akin to a white supremacist acknowledging the equality of a non-caucasian. It's backhanded, but still intended to be a complement.

Now, whether that's ok is something else, but it's nice to see the spirit of what they meant.

Serpentine
2011-06-29, 07:17 PM
... or it could grant you the proportional strength, speed, and agility of a science fiction writer.So you're saying it's a cursed sword?
That's not very nice of Sir Prattchett...

Traab
2011-06-29, 07:47 PM
while I'm sure this was all sarcasm, it does have a grain of merit. "Guys", like the homie-buddy-dude-brah' kind of guys, saying someone who is worlds awayfrom them (in many senses of the word) is intended to be a compliment.

It's akin to a white supremacist acknowledging the equality of a non-caucasian. It's backhanded, but still intended to be a complement.

Now, whether that's ok is something else, but it's nice to see the spirit of what they meant.

Bah, I wouldnt go so far as saying she is cool enough to be a WHITE guy, I mean, lets not get carried away here. :smallamused: Please dont ban me oh great forum mods, I was only kidding. Yeah honestly, not sure what that was all about, most I can come up with is it was an attempt to claim she was doing manly things therefore referring to her as a sir instead of a dame wouldnt raise eyebrows or some such nonsense. As if anything but writing your name in the snow is a male only activity.