PDA

View Full Version : Most effective melee weapon enhancements?

Yorae
2011-06-29, 01:27 AM
See title -- what are, in your opinions, the most effective weapon enhancements for melee weapons and why?

Obscurejones
2011-06-29, 01:36 AM
Keen. Crits are fun.
Collision. Extra damage is fun.
Brilliant Energy... Sometimes. Light-sabers are occasionally fun.

Yorae
2011-06-29, 01:39 AM
I've heard good things about collision, but how is a +2 enhancement for collision (+5 dmg) better than two +1 enhancements that add 1d6 apiece (+2-+12, average +7 dmg)?

LordBlades
2011-06-29, 01:42 AM
Valorous is also good if you plan on charging a lot.

Knaight
2011-06-29, 01:44 AM
I've heard good things about collision, but how is a +2 enhancement for collision (+5 dmg) better than two +1 enhancements that add 1d6 apiece (+2-+12, average +7 dmg)?

Collision isn't resisted, other than DR, which is essentially trivial. With two +1 enhancements that are 1d6 each, one or both may be resisted. This often means complete nullification, and even when it doesn't it still means nullification in most cases.

Also, Collision is multiplied on a crit, the elemental damage types aren't.

Hamburgers
2011-06-29, 01:44 AM

That depends entirely on the shape of your threat range. If you have like a x4 weapon or something silly like that, that delicous NON DICE extra damage is going right up derp creek after it gets multiplied.

Valdor
2011-06-29, 01:45 AM

because if I understand how things work, collision is multiplied when it comes to crits and charging and all of that fun stuff and not subject to any resistances like flaming and the like which is what i assume you are referring to.

Edit: double ninja. Damn slow phone:smalltongue:

Yorae
2011-06-29, 01:48 AM
ooh, that makes perfect sense about collision -- should have seen that, really. =p

Thurbane
2011-06-29, 03:40 AM
If you want brokenly good (IMHO), Sudden Stunning (DMG II): seriously, a Reflex save, that scales with level and CHA bonus, to avoid being stunned for 1d4+1 rounds, usable CHA bonus times/day as a swift action after a hit? For the low, low cost of +2000gp. Stunned for a minimum 2 rounds = death in most combats.

In my heart-of-hearts, I believe they amended this to the Stunning Surge enhancement found in MIC...but because they named it differently, technically it's not an update, but a completely separate ability.

Enfeebling (BoED) is another good one, often overlooked. 1d6+2 points of STR damage on a critical, for a +1 bonus. Nice with a high crit range weapon...

Ravens_cry
2011-06-29, 03:51 AM
Keen. Crits are fun.
Collision. Extra damage is fun.
Brilliant Energy... Sometimes. Light-sabers are occasionally fun.
Well, given the things and creatures immune, I have never thought it worth taking. Keen is fun though, and I found a feat in Pathfinder that makes it . . .nicer, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/butterfly-s-sting-critical) especially if you have a lot of none-multiplying damage, like sneak attack. Now your Barbarian flanking buddy gets 15-20 criticals, but with x3

Vizzerdrix
2011-06-29, 03:53 AM
I'm a fan of vampric, myself.

I've always wanted to use a vampric weapon, flurry of blows and touch attacks as a source of healing. I wonder if a barbarian can get access to flurry of blows? :smallconfused:

Feytalist
2011-06-29, 04:01 AM
I'm a fan of vampric, myself.

I've always wanted to use a vampric weapon, flurry of blows and touch attacks as a source of healing. I wonder if a barbarian can get access to flurry of blows? :smallconfused:

Exotic weapon, one level of Exotic Weapon Master in CWar. Have fun. Although is vampiric hit points temporary hit points, or "healed by x amount"? I can never remember.

Spell-storing, for me, is almost a must-have. Especially with a gish, Clericzilla or similar. Usualy loaded with (ironically) vampiric touch or dispel magic.

Vizzerdrix
2011-06-29, 04:02 AM
healed :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2011-06-29, 04:16 AM
It's 3.0, but the Wrathful Healing enchantment (Enemies and Allies) heals you of HP = to 1/2 damage dealt on every strike. +3 enhancement.

Feytalist
2011-06-29, 04:28 AM
healed :smallsmile:

Cool. Then with EWM's flurry of strikes, which is pretty much flurry of blows but with an exotic weapon, you're set.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-29, 04:37 AM
i like the +2 transmutable bonus, it changes the weapons to over came any DR, downside you have to hit the creature first to get the effect of this bonus.

i like to add cure moderate wounds spell to a longsword, so every time i hit i do 1d8 + str and an additional +2d8 positive engery damage. i used this for torture.

Socratov
2011-06-29, 04:55 AM
if you are not yet high level enough for everyone wearing heavvy fortification, or constantly fighting skeletons or other undead, wounding is great. for a mere +2 bonus you can hack off 1 con per hit, and if you dabble in some twf, it is simply godlike.

Darth Stabber
2011-06-29, 05:04 AM
I am personally partial to ghost touch and vorpal. Vorpal isn't that effective, but it makes me smile. Ghost touch is obviously more utilitarian, and I never use it on my main weapon, but it's nearly always on my back up weapon.

ericgrau
2011-06-29, 06:37 AM
Spell storing, holy, collision, wounding. Keen gives a little less damage than other enchantments. Brilliant energy is expensive and makes life pretty bad against undead and constructs. Collision's already been explained, though in most campaigns holy is unlikely to be resisted too. Ghost touch seems situational but it is surprisingly good in a lot of campaigns.

LordBlades
2011-06-29, 06:45 AM
I am personally partial to ghost touch and vorpal. Vorpal isn't that effective, but it makes me smile. Ghost touch is obviously more utilitarian, and I never use it on my main weapon, but it's nearly always on my back up weapon.

This. My backup weapon is always a +1 adamantine ghost touch morningstar (assuming I go for a slashing main weapon, which in 9/10 cases I do)

hamishspence
2011-06-29, 06:50 AM
Augment crystals are a good way to get an "enhancement equivalent" that's freely transferable. One of these has, among other things, Ghost Touch.

Curmudgeon
2011-06-29, 06:52 AM
The answer depends on your class. For Rogues, Scouts, Ninjas, and others with precision damage, the most effective enhancements are the straight numerical boosts. When most of your damage comes via class abilities, a boost to hitting is what's most important. If you add non-dice bonus damage (from Craven, Knowledge Devotion, and the like) then keen also becomes important, since critical hits would multiply all that non-dice damage.

Feytalist
2011-06-29, 07:02 AM
This. My backup weapon is always a +1 adamantine ghost touch morningstar (assuming I go for a slashing main weapon, which in 9/10 cases I do)

Yep, that's mine too. Down to the enhancement. It neatly covers all the bases that your main slashing weapon generally doesn't.

On higher levels you could also go metalline/transmuting instead of just adamantine.

hamishspence
2011-06-29, 07:14 AM
Is cold iron usually a "tertiary weapon" rather than secondary?

panaikhan
2011-06-29, 07:21 AM
'most affective' depends on your character build.

My personal 'most affective' was a Vicious Merciful Battlefist for my Warforged Juggernaut.

Feytalist
2011-06-29, 07:30 AM
Is cold iron usually a "tertiary weapon" rather than secondary?

Cold iron is irritating, since you can't magic it onto a weapon like adamantine and silver (adamantine strike and silvershine, respectively), and it costs extra to enhance.

That said, I usually have a masterwork cold iron something somewhere on a character, should the need arise.

Killer Angel
2011-06-29, 08:28 AM
for low enhancement (+1) wasn't Magebane (complete adventurer? not sure) very good?
Also, if I'm not wrong, there aren't all those nice Elemental Power (air, water and so on) in the DMGII?

Mango Fox
2011-06-29, 08:56 AM
Let's be honest here: If you really care about damage, you pretty much have to take Flaming Burst. :smallwink:

Feytalist
2011-06-29, 09:15 AM
for low enhancement (+1) wasn't Magebane (complete adventurer? not sure) very good?
Also, if I'm not wrong, there aren't all those nice Elemental Power (air, water and so on) in the DMGII?

Magebane is indeed a +1 enhancement, and is essentially a bane weapon for arcanists. It is good in an arcane magic-heavy campaign.
Both it and the elemental power enhancements are in the MIC.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-29, 09:46 AM
There was a weapon in 2.0 D&D that they never updated for use with 3.5. I wonder if someone could update it for use with 3.5 or 3.X. Anyway...

It was called Everstriking.

What it did was make it so that you can't miss. Literally you always hit with the weapon. There was a downside to the enchantment.

If you rolled an attack of 24 and your targets armor class was 30, since you missed by 6 points, you take 12 points of damage. You take hit point damage equal to twice what you missed for the AC.

if you struck something that required a certain material to bypass the damage reduction, then you took more damage. If you struck a lycanthrope and your Everstriking weapon was made of Iron, then you would take 5 points of damage and your Everstriking weapon would bypass the lycanthrope's damage reduction as if you were using a silvered weapon.

If your everstriking weapon did not have enough magical bonuses to bypass the targets damage reduction, you also took damage. If the creature had damage reduction of 15/+3 and your everstriking was only a +1 magical weapon, then you would take 10 points of damage and then your Everstriking weapon would be considered a +3 for that hit.

Needless to say, you will always hit, but if you don't roll high enough, it's really easy to die with this weapon.

Feytalist
2011-06-29, 09:51 AM
There was a weapon in 2.0 D&D that they never updated for use with 3.5. I wonder if someone could update it for use with 3.5 or 3.X. Anyway...

Oh good old days, how I miss you. Yeah, I remember everstriking.

There was something vaguely similar in 3.0, surestriking I think. No matter its actual enhancement, it hit as a +5 weapon, but only for bypassing damage reduction. Mostly not all that useful.

Kobold-Bard
2011-06-29, 09:52 AM
It's 3.0, but the Wrathful Healing enchantment (Enemies and Allies) heals you of HP = to 1/2 damage dealt on every strike. +3 enhancement.

What it did was make it so that you can't miss. Literally you always hit with the weapon. There was a downside to the enchantment.

If you rolled an attack of 24 and your targets armor class was 30, since you missed by 6 points, you take 12 points of damage. You take hit point damage equal to twice what you missed for the AC.

if you struck something that required a certain material to bypass the damage reduction, then you took more damage. If you struck a lycanthrope and your Everstriking weapon was made of Iron, then you would take 5 points of damage and your Everstriking weapon would bypass the lycanthrope's damage reduction as if you were using a silvered weapon.

If your everstriking weapon did not have enough magical bonuses to bypass the targets damage reduction, you also took damage. If the creature had damage reduction of 15/+3 and your everstriking was only a +1 magical weapon, then you would take 10 points of damage and then your Everstriking weapon would be considered a +3 for that hit.

Needless to say, you will always hit, but if you don't roll high enough, it's really easy to die with this weapon.

Both of these sound great.

Especially together now I think on it.

Darrin
2011-06-29, 10:16 AM

Starmetal > adamantine. Costs 5000 GP instead of 3000 GP, has the exact same properties/stats as adamantine, but you get +1d6 damage vs. extraplanar/outsiders/elementals. Complete Arcane p. 141.

I like to throw on Pitspawned (+1000 GP, DMGII p. 278) for a +2 bonus to confirm crits. Actually, all of the "Surge" stuff in DMGII that wasn't nerfed in the MIC is a great deal for only +2000 GP each: Caustic Surge, Flaming Surge, Icy Surge, Lightning Surge, and particularly Sudden Stunning.

Some of my favorite enhancements:

Enfeebling (+1, BoED p. 113). Cheapest of the properties that triggers on a crit (not counting Slow Burst), 1d6+2 Str damage. Unfortunately, SR applies.

Flying (+1, Magic of Faerun p. 140). Turn your spiked gauntlet into an animated object with a 30' fly speed. It can attack/guard on its own, act as a mage hand/unseen servant, find/trigger traps, activate alchemical items, spread marbles, etc. Add Sizing for +5000 GP, increase its size to a huge construct (i.e., a colossal-sized weapon), and it can stab things for 4d6+5 damage.

Smoking (+1, Lords of Darkness p. 180). 20% concealment, all day, all the time.

Torturous (+1/+2, Ghostwalk p. 64). Fort save DC 12/DC17 vs. stunned for 1 round. Unlike most everything that got nerfed in the MIC, unlimited uses per day.

Whirling (+1, MIC p. 46). Why, yes, I would much rather spend GP on this than completely waste over half of my seven feat slots.

Douglas
2011-06-29, 10:25 AM
Both of these sound great.

Especially together now I think on it.
Yes, but that would be broken. Especially if you add on Power Attack - even at the base normal ratio for a two-hander, the extra healing would cancel the extra damage for higher miss margins, and you'd still get the extra damage dealt to the enemy. Get any of the various PA multipliers and it really gets insane.

hamishspence
2011-06-29, 10:36 AM
Oh good old days, how I miss you. Yeah, I remember everstriking.

There was something vaguely similar in 3.0, surestriking I think. No matter its actual enhancement, it hit as a +5 weapon, but only for bypassing damage reduction. Mostly not all that useful.

I believe in 3.5 Player's Guide to Faerun, it was updated to overcome damage reduction as if it was aligned (all four alignments).

Decidedly more useful, especially when combined with Metalline.

Until Tome of Magic effectively duplicated this with the shadow striking weapon enhancement.

Doughnut Master
2011-06-29, 10:38 AM
What about putting cure spells on a bunch of small shuriken? Who needs a cleric when you have a Master Thrower?

Kansaschaser
2011-06-29, 10:39 AM
Yes, but that would be broken. Especially if you add on Power Attack - even at the base normal ratio for a two-hander, the extra healing would cancel the extra damage for higher miss margins, and you'd still get the extra damage dealt to the enemy. Get any of the various PA multipliers and it really gets insane.

Oh, I think I also remember that Everstriking had a few more conditions.

If the target had a miss chance due to concealment or displacement and they rolled a percentage to avoid your attack, you still hit, but you take one point of damage per percentage point that you would have missed. EXAMPLE: Target has Displacement with a 50% miss chance and they roll a 2 on their D100, you would hit and take 49 points of damage.

Also, you take damage from the weapon before you roll your damage on the target. So if you swung your weapon at someone and you didn't have enough hit points, the sword would kill you before you landed the blow.

Multiple types of damage from the Everstriker stacked.

If you swung at someone with these stats...

AC: 40
Damage Reduction: 15/adamantine and magic
Miss chance: 50%

And you rolled an attack of 15 with an iron everstriker, and your target rolled his miss chance with a 25, then you would take 81 points of damage.

I remember my DM in one game had the Avatar of a God walking around as an NPC. We didn't know it was an avatar. One of the players attempted to attack this Avatar and kill him to take his equipment (the npc had some really awesome gear). He swung at the Avatar and disintigrated in the process.

Keld Denar
2011-06-29, 11:01 AM
+1 Holy is also generally better than say...+1 Flaming Frost, in most situation. It helps you overcome DR because its aligned, and the damage is untyped and thus unresistable. Sure, it doesn't really help you vs animals or basic elementals, but in your standard heroic D&D game, 90+% of the crap you fight is ebil.

If the game is specific for evil outsiders, Sacred from LM is everything that Holy is for half the bonus. It aligns the weapon as well, but its bonus damage only applies to evil outsiders and half against undead. When I played LG, my main character used a +1 Cold Iron Sacred Bane:Evil Outsiders spiked chain because living in a lawful good kingdom boardering the occupied territory of Iuz the Old, you tend to meet a lot of demons. And by lot of demons, I mean at LEAST 1 encounter out of 3 each mod, average, and sometimes every encounter. When the campaign ended, that guy was around 15th level and used a +1 Adamantine Transmuting Wounding spiked chain. Adamantine was there PURELY for sunder resistance.

Kyouhen
2011-06-29, 11:16 AM
Personally I've found Spellblade to be a great one. I have one tuned to Dispel Magic on most of my characters (though most of my characters are normally under a stupid amount of buffs at any given time). It doesn't come up often, but I've been extremely grateful when it has.

Vizzerdrix
2011-06-29, 12:39 PM
Cool. Then with EWM's flurry of strikes, which is pretty much flurry of blows but with an exotic weapon, you're set.

I looked at that ability and it has some limitations. Namely, Flurry of Strikes is only useable with a double weapon or a spiked chain. :smallfrown:

AustontheGreat1
2011-06-29, 01:11 PM
I've always liked Psychokinetic and Psychokinetic Burst (p.41 MiC). An extra 1d4 force damage which overcomes all DR and effects incorporeal for +1, and a synergy property which gives it a burst effect.

Curmudgeon
2011-06-29, 01:15 PM
What about putting cure spells on a bunch of small shuriken? Who needs a cleric when you have a Master Thrower?
There's no "cure spell" weapon enhancement. If you're thinking of spell storing, that doesn't work for two reasons:

A shuriken ceases to be wielded when you throw it.
Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires.
The shuriken are destroyed on impact, before you would have a chance to make a decision about whether to cast the spell.
Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.

Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them (see Masterwork Weapons), and what happens to them after they are thrown.

lsfreak
2011-06-29, 04:34 PM
Collision is my default. Wounding weapons are fun. Keen + Bodyfeeder can be fun at mid-levels, before things all get crit-immune; I remember building (not playing) a Robilar's Gambit barbarian that walked around with negative AC but a ridiculous amount of crit-fueled temp hp to soak up damage. Seconding Stunning Surge for anyone with Cha, ridiculously good.

Not a melee enhancement, but a bunch of +1 <alignment> arrows/shurikens are hilarious to carry around. "Look! Don't kill us! These are magic arrows, take them and leave us alone!" Bam, 30 negative levels.

Thurbane
2011-06-29, 05:38 PM
Yep, I remember Everstriking in 2E (and even 1E - Dragon mag 91, from memory). It would be a bit unbalanced in 3.X, given the relative ease for a PC to pick up Fast Healing or similar.

NNescio
2011-06-29, 05:43 PM
There's no "cure spell" weapon enhancement. If you're thinking of spell storing, that doesn't work for two reasons:

A shuriken ceases to be wielded when you throw it.
The shuriken are destroyed on impact, before you would have a chance to make a decision about whether to cast the spell.

Isn't there precedent for Arrows of Healing in a splatbook somewhere? That still work even when shot?

Edit: Masters of the Wild, an 3.0 supplement, which makes it a bit sketchy. Still, spell-storing (preferably tiny) arrows would definitely work when used as hypodermic syringes improvised melee weapons, assuming that spell-storing can even be applied to ammunition in the first place.

Shurikens can't be used that way though.

Thurbane
2011-06-29, 06:10 PM
There's also bracers in the MIC (Bracers of Inquisition?) that apply a Cure effect to your melee strikes (3/day, from memory).

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-29, 10:49 PM
wasnt there an option to add wands to weapons?

NNescio
2011-06-29, 10:56 PM
wasnt there an option to add wands to weapons?

Wand Chambers from Dungeonscape, courtesy of Rich Burlew?

IIRC it lets you be considered holding the wand you have put into the chamber (and use it) as long as you are holding the weapon.

Akal Saris
2011-06-29, 11:27 PM
Spell storing, bloodstone, and stunning surge are my personal favorites. And the Quickdraw crystal as well =)

Zaq
2011-06-30, 01:39 AM
Impaling (MIC) is fantastic. Turning any attack into a touch attack 3/day for just a +1 bonus? Yeah, on any melee type who doesn't have Wraithstrike or an equivalent, this is gold. Piercing only, but do you see my tears? I'm crying such tears. I'm just wetting my sleeves here.

I'm also fond of Illusion Bane, also from MIC. Illusions can really ruin a fightin'-man's day. This doesn't solve the problem entirely, but it's a big step in the right direction. It's also a +1, so it's pretty cheap.

Spell Storing is probably the most powerful, though, assuming you have a helpful caster or access to solid wands. I played a Spellthief for a few sessions, and the Wracking Touch he stored in his dagger (or was it daggers? He had two, but I forget how many were Spell Storing) ended up being an excellent ace in the hole for when he just couldn't get into position (or for when he needed an extra SA). Anyone who can benefit from spells can benefit from Spell Storing, though . . . which means anyone can benefit from Spell Storing.

Let's be honest here: If you really care about damage, you pretty much have to take Flaming Burst. :smallwink:

I assume you're joking. (It's kinda hard to tell over the Internet.)

Feytalist
2011-06-30, 03:57 AM
I believe in 3.5 Player's Guide to Faerun, it was updated to overcome damage reduction as if it was aligned (all four alignments).

Decidedly more useful, especially when combined with Metalline.

Until Tome of Magic effectively duplicated this with the shadow striking weapon enhancement.

Huh, I never knew that. Must've missed it when I skimmed the book. That's right, it's much more useful.

I looked at that ability and it has some limitations. Namely, Flurry of Strikes is only useable with a double weapon or a spiked chain. :smallfrown:

Hmm, I forgot about that caveat. Although, no reason why you can't just use your double weapon as a two-handed weapon, I suppose. Plus, spiked chain, man :smallwink:

Impaling (MIC) is fantastic. Turning any attack into a touch attack 3/day for just a +1 bonus? Yeah, on any melee type who doesn't have Wraithstrike or an equivalent, this is gold. Piercing only, but do you see my tears? I'm crying such tears. I'm just wetting my sleeves here.

There's an enhancement similar to impaling, where the piercing weapon does extra damage the round after striking with it... I've forgotten the name now. Skewering?

I might just be thinking about a specific spear, though. :/

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-30, 04:04 AM

Except that is positively the worst elemental burst enhancement in the game. Get Shocking Burst.

Or Acidic Burst, if you can find it. It's in some book, I'm pretty sure...

Feytalist
2011-06-30, 04:33 AM
Except that is positively the worst elemental burst enhancement in the game. Get Shocking Burst.

Possibly sonic burst? If there even is such a thing. Thundering, maybe. There's been so many different sonic enhancement versions out there...

Also, MIC has "Caustic Burst".

Darth Stabber
2011-06-30, 05:36 AM

My usual backup is is the same except cold iron, my main weapon is usually adamantine, meaning I need my faerie and deamon smashing on the back-up, plus since cold iron is expensive to enchant, I really only want to buy +2 for it. Main weapon is usually +X spell storing collision adamantine, generally a greatsword or some polearm.

LordBlades
2011-06-30, 05:51 AM
My usual backup is is the same except cold iron, my main weapon is usually adamantine, meaning I need my faerie and deamon smashing on the back-up, plus since cold iron is expensive to enchant, I really only want to buy +2 for it. Main weapon is usually +X spell storing collision adamantine, generally a greatsword or some polearm.

I usually use +1 Keen Spellstoring Cold Iron Falchions with GMW on them(except for the rare build that needs a reach weapon or a specific weapon, like a lance). I do agree that doing it the other way around is cheaper, but in my group we do fight demons and other outsiders quite often so I got used to having my main weapon cold iron.

panaikhan
2011-06-30, 07:24 AM
Isn't there precedent for Arrows of Healing in a splatbook somewhere? That still work even when shot?

Shurikens can't be used that way though.

There is a potion variant in Eberron, that has the flask come to a point. you throw it at the target, which takes a point of damage, and the potion is then delivered directly into the bloodstream.

Draz74
2011-06-30, 11:24 AM

Impaling is actually a terrible option (except maybe on ammunition), because it's strictly inferior to getting a Heartseeking Amulet (MIC). Same effect (except without the piercing restriction), but significantly cheaper (even if you have to pay +50% for the amulet to add its effect to another neck-slot item).

Don't get any of them. Run the math on the bonus damage; I don't think I've ever seen it be worthwhile compared to other damage-boosting enhancements (such as Collision or Bloodletting on a crit-happy build, or just more Flaming/Shock/Corrosive/Psychokinetic/Screaming/Frost enhancements on a non-crit-happy build).

Yorae
2011-06-30, 12:42 PM
...other damage-boosting enhancements (such as Collision or Bloodletting on a crit-happy build, or just more Flaming/Shock/Corrosive/Psychokinetic/Screaming/Frost enhancements on a non-crit-happy build).

What is "bloodletting"? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

NNescio
2011-06-30, 01:05 PM
What is "bloodletting"? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

I think he meant "Bloodfeeding", from BoVD.

Draz74
2011-06-30, 01:07 PM
I think he meant "Bloodfeeding", from BoVD.

Yeah, that is the name I meant, although my source for it was MIC rather than BoVD (more up-to-date). :smallsmile:

NNescio
2011-06-30, 01:08 PM
There is a potion variant in Eberron, that has the flask come to a point. you throw it at the target, which takes a point of damage, and the potion is then delivered directly into the bloodstream.

Obligatory reference:

http://ompldr.org/vOWF1dA/FFT_Chemist_vs__Ramza_.jpg

Zaq
2011-06-30, 07:32 PM
Obligatory reference:

http://ompldr.org/vOWF1dA/FFT_Chemist_vs__Ramza_.jpg

And this is why Spellvials are amazing. Alchemist Savant, Magic of Eberron p.54.

Optimator
2011-06-30, 07:40 PM
I've always found The 3.5 Weapon Special Abilities Thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870158/The_3.5_Weapon_Special_Abilities_thread) useful. The formatting got screwed in the change-over but I saved a copy of the page before that.

cZak
2011-06-30, 07:49 PM
Whirling (+1, MIC p. 46). Why, yes, I would much rather spend GP on this than completely waste over half of my seven feat slots.

This including Vampiric & Life drinking crystal on TWF whip-weilding ranger/ lasher...

Who needs a cleric...:smallsmile:

Yorae
2011-06-30, 08:57 PM
I've always found The 3.5 Weapon Special Abilities Thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870158/The_3.5_Weapon_Special_Abilities_thread) useful. The formatting got screwed in the change-over but I saved a copy of the page before that.

Awesome, extremely useful!

I don't think I can see why the Air Elemental Power enhancement is so good, though.... I mean, I guess you can get it to whirlwind you to places, but a +1 (Large) elemental can only stay whirlwind-ed for four rounds, and there are far better ways to fly.... And the other "elemental power" enhancements can't even do that.

Necroticplague
2011-06-30, 09:05 PM
Depending on your feat choice, Aptitude can be pretty good. A favorite combo of mine is to use improved natural weapon + aptitude property to improve the damage of a weapon.

NNescio
2011-06-30, 09:07 PM
Depending on your feat choice, Aptitude can be pretty good. A favorite combo of mine is to use improved natural weapon + aptitude property to improve the damage of a weapon.

*cough* Lightning Maces *cough*

Yorae
2011-06-30, 09:24 PM
*cough* Lightning Maces *cough*

And then the enemy caster used Death Urge....

NNescio
2011-06-30, 09:32 PM
And then the enemy caster used Death Urge....

Manifester, you mean? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125698)

Vincent Nix
2011-06-30, 09:33 PM
I've always liked blurstrike for the sneak attack characters. +2 from races of the wild.