PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Arcane Rogue!? Grah!

Amoren
2011-06-29, 01:49 AM
Yes, confusion! Thinking about joining a PbB game but it's a gestalt campaign, and it'll be my first one so I'm more than a little paranoid about creating an 'effective' character... Originally I was going for a Telflammar Shadowlord build (because, hey, Feyrun and I've been wanting to play one forever), but 3.0 material was shot down.

So, moving on from that, I was thinking of making an arcane rogue gestalt... Hopefully with Unseen Seer or Daggerspell Mage being allowed even though they're dual progression classes (DM said to just apply and see how it works out later). With that in mind, I wish I could somehow mix Daggerspell Mage, Unseen Seer, and Invisible Blade, but don't see how to do it with only 16 levels of prestige class available (and no double stacking). Although I guess I could go something like Rogue X/Duskblade 13 (for channeling on one side) and Wizard/Unseen Seer on the other side...

I guess I'm just looking for any help or advice that could help me make sense of this and make an effective character, I suppose. xD

Edit: Also, I do prefer melee ranged TWF, just as a heads up. >_>;

Godskook
2011-06-29, 02:39 AM
First of all, Invisible blade is non-great, and not worth a gestalt prestige slot.

Second, ask your DM how his gestalt rules work, cause there's no reasonable rule-set in the RAW(i.e., the one that's there isn't reasonable)

Now for more specific things:
-Human + Able Learner + Factotum dip = no cross class skills(A rogue dip isn't bad either here)

-Carmendine Monk is worth considering, and a monk dip is viable anyways.

-Swordsage, especially timed right, makes a great 2-level dip, but be sure to pick up Assassin's Stance.

-Hunter's Eye is a great persistable buff, that'll drastically improve your DPRound. Perhaps too good, but that's up to you and your DM.

-Unarmed Strike is one of the best weapons in the game, being finesseable, PA-able, bludgeoning, and monk-damage. You can improve on this by going unarmed swordsage for a while, learning greater mighty whallop, dipping swashbuckler for int-to-damage, and other handy tricks.

I'd suggest something like:

Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Monk 2/Barbarian 1(for pounce)/Swordsage 12/Fighter 1
Wizard 5/Daggerspell Mage X/Unseen Seer Y

Feats:
-Able Learner
-Shadow Blade
-Power Attack(from Monk, UA variant)
-Imp Bull Rush(ditto)
-Shock Trooper(Fighter)
-Carmendine Monk
-Weapon Focus(Dagger)
-TWF
-Extend Spell
-Persist Spell

Amoren
2011-06-29, 02:58 AM
I suppose not, I was just thinking of the synergy with Daggerspell Mage and Invisible Blade. And the rules, as I can at least see them, are no prestige classes until level 5, and then only one prestige class per level. He's stated that he's thinking about the dual progression classes, but I suppose it should be alright (or at least I hope, Daggerspell Mage and Unseen Seer have some awesome abilities that a standard rogue/wizard wouldn't have access too). Otherwise everything else seems to be gestalt based, and characters can start with an ECL 2 and buy it off.

I was also thinking of going Strongheart halfling, since it's a Forgotten Realms book (and halflings are just awesome). What also might help is knowing the base stats, which are 18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 11.

Also, so far it seems like I'm the only one who's going with a skillful based build, so I'd really like to get as many rogue levels as possible... I guess that means I might make my first five levels rogue on one side, then jump into something else once the rogue/caster PrC's kick in (for only a 2 skill points per level drop). I also think I'm going to go Wizard 5/Daggerspell Mage 10/Unseen Seer 4-5 on one side - I'll be popping into Unseen Seer at just the right time to persist Hunter's Eye then.

Although, thinking of it, I'm quite tempted just to drop the arcane portion and just go a Rogue 20|Swashbuckler 3/Swordsage 17 build, heh.

Edit: Alright, of the two accepted players so far, there is a barbarian/druid intending to go striker with Master of Many forms and a Sorcerer/Dragonfire Adept, if that helps at all. I'm going to press on with an arcane rogue build though (diviner specialized mage, forsaking enchantment or necromancy, not sure which). I think I'm going to proceed with the first five levels as rogue/wizard, if only because I want to keep up all my skills, even if its not optimized and will cost me 2 BAB...

With that out of the way, is U.M.D. needed as an arcane rogue? Otherwise I could use it to free up some of the skill points I need to fulfill for spellcraft/concentration.