PDA

View Full Version : How likely am I to find the 0ed books, and how much am I likely to pay?

Pika...
2011-06-29, 06:29 AM
Hi,

Don't post much on this forum, but I am eager to revive some classic D&D. :smallbiggrin:

I have always wanted an authentic original 0ed set of books. Anyone know how likely I am to find one, a place besides ebay where I can get one, and how much I am likely to need to dish out for it?

Also, can you folks tell me what was in the set so I am not fooled, and obtain the entire collection/set?

Many Pikas in advance!

Dalek-K
2011-06-29, 06:46 AM
I was about to run a search later today to find my own copies (ebay/amazon) however I was given a free pdf. of a game called Sword and Wizardry Whitebox which is (to my knowledge) a remake of the original D&D.

hamlet
2011-06-29, 07:15 AM
As Dalek-K points out, Swords and Wizardry, particularly the White Box accessory, is a remake of the original three little brown books cleaned up and easier to use. I recommend it more than the originals if all you want is to play the game in the original style. Plus, you know, you can get it for absolutely free if you're hard up for cash.

If, on the other hand, you really have to have the originals, either for collectability's sake, or because you want to use them specifically . . . well . . . it really depends on how persistent and thorough you are in searching. You can find copies for sale pretty fairly easily. However, if you don't look hard, you cand end up paying anywhere between $200 and $1500 for a copy (a copy of the woodgrained box, for instance, is selling for about $1400-1500 on NobleKnight.com). I don't recommend that you pay this much unless you really really really want a copy. It just isn't worth it.

This is the one time where I'll actually say that later editions were an objective improvement over the earlier rather than subjective improvements. The editing and cohesion and coherency of the original three books is . . . terrible. Truly terrible. You'll do better picking up a copy of Swords and Wizardry (cleaned up 0ed, or flat out three little books in the White Box version) for free and doing with that. Or Labyrinth Lord (BECMI version D&D). Or OSRIC (though that's AD&D 1ed really).

Hope that was helpful.

EDIT: Here you go: WhiteBox For Free at Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/swords-wizardry-whitebox-rulebook-pdf/14956259?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/6)

SimperingToad
2011-06-29, 08:38 AM
If cost is an issue, then yes, S&W White Box is the way to go. The thing is, at this point any set of OD&D books are collectible, so expect to shell out. Your best bet is to look for those white boxes listed as 'OCE' box sets (Original Collector's Edition), as they were the last (6th) printing and the easiest to obtain. Just expect to pay upwards of $150 or so if you find a set in very nice condition. Obviously less for a beat up one.

The box contents include three booklets with a set of Reference Sheets: Men & Magic, Monsters & Treasure, and Underworld & Wilderness Adventures. Individual books with no box can be had for about $20-25 a piece, the Reference Sheets maybe $15-20.

Costs are subject to some crazy people lately. The market has been quite volatile.

Unfortunately, the best place to find one is EBay. They come up frequently. You could also try the Classified sections in boards like Dragonsfoot or the Acaeum among others. A small, EBay like place called RPG Marketplace might be an option, but you could wait a while, as it's, well, small (but growing).

Expect it to be unlike your previous D&D experiences, and be prepared to DM your heart out. It's not for those of weak skill... or so I'm told. I started with Holmes. :smallwink:

crimson77
2011-06-29, 03:59 PM
I have always wanted an authentic original 0ed set of books. Anyone know how likely I am to find one, a place besides ebay where I can get one, and how much I am likely to need to dish out for it?

You mentioned not wanting to buy one off of ebay but I think ebay is your best bet for purchasing the collection at a reasonable price.

I quickly found a set on ebay: link (http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-D-D-OCE-Original-Dungeons-Dragons-Rules-no-box-/220804964854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33690061f6#ht_527wt_1141)

The cheapest place that I have ever seen 0e rules was at used book stores. Occasionally a used book store will get in a set and often sell them for a few dollars per book. I saw a set a number of years ago at a used book store and I am kicking myself for not purchasing it then.

SimperingToad
2011-06-29, 08:57 PM
I quickly found a set on ebay: link (http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-D-D-OCE-Original-Dungeons-Dragons-Rules-no-box-/220804964854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33690061f6#ht_527wt_1141)

Thanks for pointing out my auction. :smallbiggrin:

It's not over yet, but I don't expect much more since it's not in the best shape.

i should also mention that if you get individual books, the Reference Sheets seem to be the most difficult piece to come by on their own. Not really necessary, but convenient to have a bunch of tables in one place.

Jay R
2011-06-30, 11:27 PM
The boxed set had three books. It included Fighters, Magic-Users and Clerics, and the fighting system was a modified miniatures rules. It went up to 6th level magic spells and 5th level clerical spells. Some magic items, but not many. It also included Tolkien-invented creatures like ents, hobbits, and Balrogs.

Greyhawk, the first supplement, had the first true individual combat system, as well as Thieves and Paladins, many more monsters, and spells up to M9th / C7th. The game became playable at this point.

Blackmoor introduced Assassins and Monks, a hit location system we never used, sages, diseases, plus underwater adventures, including magic, monsters and a scenario, the Temple of the Frog

Eldritch Wizardry introduced Druids, Psionics, Demons and Artifacts.

Gods, Demigods and Heroes included beings from many pantheons, including those from Robert E. Howard's Conan stories and Michael Moorcock's Elric stories. It announced that it was the last D&D supplement.

These comprise what we thought was the full original game. A final supplement, Swords and Spells, added only massed battles.

And by the way, you can't judge its production quality based on anything you see produced today. You need to remember that it was the work of a new, small company. You have to judge it based on the time and standards of its production. Judged by the standards of poorly produced amateur games of the early 70s, ...

... the artwork stinks.

hamlet
2011-07-01, 07:19 AM
And by the way, you can't judge its production quality based on anything you see produced today. You need to remember that it was the work of a new, small company. You have to judge it based on the time and standards of its production. Judged by the standards of poorly produced amateur games of the early 70s, ...

... the artwork stinks.

And that it was quite literally assembled and packaged in somebody's garage rather than any kind of modern printing house. Which means, if you're lucky (wealthy) and get your hands on a first printing . . . you have a copy of the game that was touched by Gary Gygax himself at some point, for whatever that's worth to you.

ken-do-nim
2011-07-01, 12:52 PM
I'd like to point out that the original books will most likely keep their value, so yeah you might have to pony up $75 for them ($150 with box), but when you decide you no longer want them, you will get your money back.

Matthew
2011-07-01, 07:33 PM
It is a great pity that WotC took the pdf versions off the market, as they were easy to print out and assemble.

pdellorto
2011-07-02, 08:16 PM
The boxed set had three books.
(SNIP lots of good stuff)

That's a great summary of the supplements.

I have all but the last two - the mass combat supplement and heroes. I'd love to get my hands on them but they are terribly pricey and they'd just sit on my shelf unused.

They do seem a bit unplayable without Greyhawk. Even as an experienced gamer, looking back on the boxed set I wondered how anyone played the game. Then again I had the same feeling when I looked back at my AD&D books recently, and wondering how the heck I made heads or tails of some of the rules. I'm pretty sure I just winged some of them, and I suspect that happened a lot in the old white box days too.

gkathellar
2011-07-03, 04:15 PM
Ah, the good old days when Elf was a class.

Do yourself a favor and skip 0ed. I own both the Blue Box and a later release, and it's really pretty terrible. I can't believe it took them 3 whole editions to get rid of THAC0 ...

SimperingToad
2011-07-03, 06:32 PM

Do yourself a favor and skip 0ed. I own both the Blue Box and a later release, and it's really pretty terrible. I can't believe it took them 3 whole editions to get rid of THAC0 ...

Highly subjective.

Only AD&D2E used THAC0 for combat. The others used tables.

arguskos
2011-07-03, 08:34 PM
Shame, Pika, that you're looking now and not two years ago, or I could have sold you a 4th Edition printing of OD&D. :smallbiggrin:

Technically, I think I could still sell you a copy of Eldritch Wizardry. I think I have an extra one. If so, and you're interested, we can talk about it via PM.

Personally, I would take a look at rummage sales, bargain bins, and yard sales in your area. That's how I picked up my 4+ complete sets with some additions, for under $300 I might add. No wood box, but three white boxes and a 3rd printing (which was the only printing I kept).

Knaight
2011-07-03, 09:03 PM
Try Craigslist or similar if you must avoid ebay, and consider Amazon. However, ebay is your best bet, and there is a pretty good chance that you can avoid the auctions and just buy the books at a flat price.

In the meantime, there are several D&D and AD&D clones floating around online. Labyrinth Lords and OSIRIC are the ones I'm familiar with, others have already been mentioned.

Bhaakon
2011-07-04, 06:17 AM
I'd like to point out that the original books will most likely keep their value, so yeah you might have to pony up $75 for them ($150 with box), but when you decide you no longer want them, you will get your money back.

I'd only recommend that if your goal is to seal them away somewhere protected and never let the sun or human hands touch them again. If you want actually use them (as some of the posters here seem to think), don't expect to get you investment back.

Knaight
2011-07-04, 11:56 AM
I'd only recommend that if your goal is to seal them away somewhere protected and never let the sun or human hands touch them again. If you want actually use them (as some of the posters here seem to think), don't expect to get you investment back.

From what I've seen, it seems that people expect the books to be sealed away, while the game is played via digital copy.

arguskos
2011-07-04, 02:12 PM
From what I've seen, it seems that people expect the books to be sealed away, while the game is played via digital copy.
I play with my copies, cause I'm silly. :smalltongue:

pdellorto
2011-07-04, 07:18 PM
If you just want to read them, check out your local library system's inter-library loan (ILL) system. I know for a fact one library in my system has the original 3 books, because I'm looking at one right now.

You can often put in a fairly wide-ranging request from the library to see if another library system or college library system has the books, get them delivered to your local library, and read them. It can be a long shot but they are out there and you'll get to try before you buy.

SimperingToad
2011-07-06, 09:20 PM
There's a spiffy idea.

Takes me back to 1981 or 82-ish when my local library had the AD&D hardbacks on the shelves.

Jay R
2011-07-06, 11:14 PM
I never played Elf as a class. But I loved the Dwarf class in The Dragon #3.

The blue box is not 0ed. It was a later Basic version, with 8 1/2" x 11" books. The original was a white box with three roughly 5" by 7" booklets.

Also, ThAC0 was introduced in 2e, and gone by 3e.

hamlet
2011-07-07, 07:21 AM
I never played Elf as a class. But I loved the Dwarf class in The Dragon #3.

The blue box is not 0ed. It was a later Basic version, with 8 1/2" x 11" books. The original was a white box with three roughly 5" by 7" booklets.

Also, ThAC0 was introduced in 2e, and gone by 3e.

THAC0 was introduced in 1e, though not used to the same extent as it was in 2e. It was in an appendix of the DMG.