PDA

View Full Version : Good Debuff Spells

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-29, 07:09 AM
I am currently looking for good debuffing spells, particularly ones that have an area effect. If there is some compilation of good utility debuffs can someone point me in the right direction?

The Rabbler
2011-06-29, 07:17 AM
For which class are we speaking?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-29, 07:20 AM
Particularly Wizard, Bard and Cleric but any debuffing spells help for future reference.

Feytalist
2011-06-29, 07:34 AM
Anything with dispel somewhere in the name, I would suspect. Dispel magic, dispelling strike, dispelling blast, greater dispel magic, and so on.

The other choices are mostly spell-specific. Haste for slow, flesh to stone for stone to flesh, calm emotions for fear, etc.

The Rabbler
2011-06-29, 07:55 AM
Particularly Wizard, Bard and Cleric but any debuffing spells help for future reference.

I don't know of any compilation of good debuff spells, so why don't we make one here? to start with wizard,

0th:
1st: Ray of Clumsiness, Karmic Aura, Ray of Enfeeblement, Cause Fear, Ray of Weakness, Stolen Breath, Color Spray,
2nd: Glitterdust, Cloud of Bewilderment, Arcane Turmoil, Ray of Stupidity, Blinding Color Surge,
3rd: Stinking Cloud, Caustic Smoke, Grasping Wall, Slow, Halt, Dispel Magic, Karmic Backlash, Ray of Exhaustion, Mass Curse of Impending Blades, Ray of Dizziness, Phantasmal Strangler, Vertigo Field,
4th: Orb of Fire, Baleful Blink, Call of Stone, Dimensional Anchor, Enervation, Fear, Burning Blood,
5th: Viscid Glob, Cloudkill, Spell Theft, Antimagic Field, Spiritwall, Channeled Lifetheft,
6th: Freezing Fog, , Karmic Retribution, Greater Dispel Magic, Opalescent Glare, Mass Contagion, Fleshshiver, Freezing Glance,
7th: Choking Cobwebs, Stun Ray, Waves of Exhaustion, Avasculate, Evil Glare,
8th: Polymorph Any Object, Avascular Mass, Otto's Irresistible Dance,
9th: Maw of Chaos,

Kefkafreak
2011-06-29, 07:59 AM
I LOVE Friend to Foe, a 5th level Beguiler spell.

Socratov
2011-06-29, 02:38 PM
I don't know of any compilation of good debuff spells, so why don't we make one here? to start with wizard,

0th:
1st: Ray of Clumsiness, Karmic Aura, Ray of Enfeeblement, Cause Fear, Ray of Weakness, Stolen Breath, Color Spray,
2nd: Glitterdust, Cloud of Bewilderment, Arcane Turmoil, Ray of Stupidity, Blinding Color Surge,
3rd: Stinking Cloud, Caustic Smoke, Grasping Wall, Slow, Halt, Dispel Magic, Karmic Backlash, Ray of Exhaustion, Mass Curse of Impending Blades, Ray of Dizziness, Phantasmal Strangler, Vertigo Field,
4th: Orb of Fire, Baleful Blink, Call of Stone, Dimensional Anchor, Enervation, Fear, Burning Blood,
5th: Viscid Glob, Cloudkill, Spell Theft, Antimagic Field, Spiritwall, Channeled Lifetheft,
6th: Freezing Fog, , Karmic Retribution, Greater Dispel Magic, Opalescent Glare, Mass Contagion, Fleshshiver, Freezing Glance,
7th: Choking Cobwebs, Stun Ray, Waves of Exhaustion, Avasculate, Evil Glare,
8th: Polymorph Any Object, Avascular Mass, Otto's Irresistible Dance,
9th: Maw of Chaos,

I think there should be an Edvard's black tentacles in there somewhere, while not technically a targeted debuff, it hinders the enemy a lot (which is the meaning of a debuff anyway) (lol AOE insane grapples)

Also, for the warlock's invocations:

least: earthen grasp (same reason as edvard's balck tentacles), miasmic cloud, voice of madness

essences: frightful blast, sickening blast

lesser: curse of despair, stony grasp (see edvard's black tentacles), voracious dispelling

essences: Beshadowed blast, Hellrime blast (DoT is not considered a debuff)

greater: chilling tentacles (see edvard's black tentacles), enervating shadow, Teancious plague (because of it's distraction ability), devour magic,

essences: Bewitching blast, Noxious blast, repelling blast (a maybe, making people fall prone makes them lose dex to AC, and thus vulnerable for sneak attacks, which is a debuff if normally you are not)

Dark: Dark discorporation (under circumstances), (when dispelled) retributive invisibility, Word of changing

essences: Utterdark blast

The Rabbler
2011-06-29, 03:37 PM
I don't consider Evard's Black Tentacles to be a debuff because it doesn't actually do anything to them. It's a battlefield control spell because it lets the caster decide how the battle is going to work for the next few rounds; such is the definition of a battlefield control spell.

rainstorm
2011-06-29, 07:10 PM
Hold/mass hold person/monster, poison, bestow curse...