PDA

View Full Version : 1-level Dip for an Undead Artificer

Kyouhen
2011-06-29, 05:11 PM
Greetings!

So in the campaign I'm in my character is currently a 9th level undead artificer with one arm. (And a Spare Arm that has two arms on it) He's largely built for an archerficer, which is a problem since I lost an arm. Fortunately he's also heavily buffificer, and as such can easily just fall back on his stack of wands to manage in combat.

I just gained a level, and am looking for a dip into another class to give me martial weapon proficiency. The campaign we're in is a high-power campaign with more magic items than we can count, some of which are really nice and I'd like to grab martial weapon proficiency so I can get full use of them. (I'm currently sitting on a longsword that casts Banishment on anything hit with it, which I couldn't use in a recent battle with a pair of Glabrezu because I'd never be able to hit them with it)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what class would be a good dip for this? I'd like something that also increases my versatility/survivability while I'm at it. I'm currently looking at a level in Divine Mind with the Time mantle. As part of my character's new race I have the ability to cast Animate Dead, so I figure boosting the initiative of myself and my minions would be handy and I can save myself from a painful blast once per day if I need to.

Prestige classes aren't out of the question, but my character wasn't built to go into any so for the most part I'm missing the entry requirements, so it would have to be pretty easy to get into. My feats consist of Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, and a pile of metamagic.

So anyone have any other suggestions? Or would the Divine Mind be my best bet?

NecroRick
2011-06-29, 09:52 PM
Note that if this is Eberron, there's about 50 million different options for grafts, including _undead_ grafts... so there's your way of getting your arm back (well, not *your* arm obviously, but somebody's arm :D ).

Or if you're an artificer just make yourself a replacement one (warforged graft).

Akal Saris
2011-06-29, 11:07 PM
Do you have the skill points to qualify for 1 level in the Master of Masks prestige class? Then you'd have proficiency in all exotic and martial weapons with the gladiator mask on.

Otherwise I'd vote warblade. Iron Heart Surge will be a good boost to survivability, as well as a d12, martial weapons, and if you take 1 exotic weapon proficiency then you can swap it to any other one if you find a better weapon.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-29, 11:12 PM
I second Warblade, Versatility ´+ Martial weapon proficiencies = Win (in this case)

Darrin
2011-06-30, 06:11 AM
I just gained a level, and am looking for a dip into another class to give me martial weapon proficiency. The campaign we're in is a high-power campaign with more magic items than we can count, some of which are really nice and I'd like to grab martial weapon proficiency so I can get full use of them. (I'm currently sitting on a longsword that casts Banishment on anything hit with it, which I couldn't use in a recent battle with a pair of Glabrezu because I'd never be able to hit them with it)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what class would be a good dip for this? I'd like something that also increases my versatility/survivability while I'm at it.

Well, if you can scrape up Dodge somewhere and lock yourself into an Otyugh Hole for Iron Will, you could dip into Dragonslayer (Draconomicon p. 126). +1 BAB, +1 caster level (which doesn't specify arcane or divine), proficiency with all martial weapons/all armor/all shields (including tower, which you can swap for extreme shield).

Otherwise, I'd recommend Crusader. +1 BAB, proficiency with all martial (including ranged weapons), all armors, and all shields (including tower). Your IL would be 5.5, high enough for 3rd level manevuers, such as Revitalizing Strike and White Raven Tactics. Nobody can do survivability like a Crusader.

I don't see how Divine Mind adds all that much. If you want an aura, you can pick one up via a feat: Draconic Aura (Dragon Magic p. 16). The Senses aura can give all your allies within 30' a +1 on initiative, spot, and listen checks. However, most folks use that feat to grab the Vigor aura from PHBII, free fast healing 1 for all allies, up to 1/2 HP total.