PDA

View Full Version : Dvati

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-29, 05:25 PM
Alright, so I know I may be getting into a headache on this one, but I have a player who wants to play an identical twin thing now I know there is a race called the Dvati but I can't find 3.5 stats anywhere, do you know where I can find them, or do you have them handy? Alternatively I thought about letting him play two characters but they receive Half of his total Exp each, or both take damage when one does or something along those lines. He already said he didn't want to go with Leadership and have a cohort three levels lower than him. Also any rules or special notes about the Dvati?

The-Mage-King
2011-06-29, 05:26 PM
The stats are in the Dragon Compendium.

Lateral
2011-06-29, 05:32 PM
The Dvati are horribly broken, though- in the excessively-powerful way or the unusable way, depending on how you interpret the (horrendous) wording of it.

Amnestic
2011-06-29, 05:32 PM
Also any rules or special notes about the Dvati?

There are a few. They split their HD (so if you roll a '6' at level up, then each Dvati gains 3 health), but they both get their full Constitution bonus.
If one dies, they both die. This combined with their HD issue leads to them being rather fragile.
Interpretations of how they deal with their actions seem to be split.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-29, 05:35 PM
The stats are in the Dragon Compendium.

Because I have that... right here in my pocket...

The-Mage-King
2011-06-29, 05:37 PM
Really? How convenient. I didn't know that pockets came in D&D book size.

Amnestic
2011-06-29, 05:38 PM
Because I have that... right here in my pocket...

If neither you nor your player has Dragon Compendium, nor the issue of Dragon Magazine (#271, for reference) available, then he's not gonna get to play them. I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to reproduce the race in its whole on the forums.

Thurbane
2011-06-29, 07:39 PM
You can find a very brief summary of the Dvati in the LA +1 and +2 Races List link in my sig. But others pointed out, unless you have a copy of the source material, it's not going to be enough to play them, and it's not legal for us to post an entire (non-OGL) race description here on the forums.

Alternatively, if you have DMG II, you can achieve a similar goal with the Vestigial Twin trait - the LA is very prohibitive for a PC though (the traits were mainly designed with NPCs in mind).

Ernir
2011-06-29, 08:40 PM
Alternatively I thought about letting him play two characters but they receive Half of his total Exp each
Don't do this. It's crippling.

Without the Dvati rules text available, I'd just let the player play two characters. The player is going to be hogging more roll-time (although probably not more RP-time) and command more power than the other players, though, so it may cause irritation in some groups.

Another idea (if you want to nerf him somehow): If you were already thinking of running a Gestalt campaign, you could have the player play two non-gestalts, while the rest of the party is a gestalt.
Thinking this out is left as an exercise to the reader. :smalltongue:

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-30, 12:13 AM
My friend found this

http://www.realmoframith.com/smf/index.php?topic=449.0

Thoughts?

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-30, 01:11 AM
Dvati are horribly broken, in more than one way. The above link is even a little too powerful. I'd say your player should play a one-bodied type of race, just to keep it fair. If not, you may have some hostilities in the party about how better his character is then the others. Your call though, in the end it doesn't really matter.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-30, 02:03 AM
The Gestalt idea sounds intriguing, but I have no idea how it would be balanced.

Maybe everyone gets two PCs, and you find a way to have some not go on the adventure? Say, the PCs left behind are guarding the camp/boat/airship/spelljammer/horses/whatever. Toss a monarch at them. They can now decide to ransom, save or kill the monarch. The first two will require instances of guarding the captive/honored monarch.

Maybe it would help if one twin could be a support character who supports the entire party? The other players will still need some goodies, but they might be more welcome to the idea if the twin is a trapspringer or a healer that no one else wants to play.

togapika
2011-06-30, 02:40 AM
He could play a character with two heads....

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-30, 11:14 AM
Dvati are horribly broken, in more than one way. The above link is even a little too powerful. I'd say your player should play a one-bodied type of race, just to keep it fair. If not, you may have some hostilities in the party about how better his character is then the others. Your call though, in the end it doesn't really matter.

He's a Power Player and an Optimizer, I don't care when I play, but it wouldn''t be anything new to the other players.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-30, 12:18 PM
Alright, so I know I may be getting into a headache on this one, but I have a player who wants to play an identical twin thing...

Excellent. Have him write in his backstory "Identical Twin". Done deal.

Running two characters is an entirely separate thing.

Also, point out that with a cohort, they can be a mere two levels below you. One, if you take Improved Cohort. This sounds like a power ploy, IMO.

Malimar
2011-06-30, 12:34 PM
He could play a character with two heads....

I've always kind of wanted to play half an ettin, with another player playing the other half, but I doubt this would even remotely work.

AdalKar
2011-06-30, 01:30 PM
I've always kind of wanted to play half an ettin, with another player playing the other half, but I doubt this would even remotely work.

Funny thing, my best friend did just this :smallbiggrin:
The DM had a list of monsters and let the players roll d% to figure out who will play which monster and two rolled the ettin, so he said, they're the same ettin.
It was all kinds of fun.
One of them was a barbarian and the other a sorcerer. :smallsmile:

NamelessNPC
2011-06-30, 09:09 PM
Funny thing, my best friend did just this :smallbiggrin:
The DM had a list of monsters and let the players roll d% to figure out who will play which monster and two rolled the ettin, so he said, they're the same ettin.
It was all kinds of fun.
One of them was a barbarian and the other a sorcerer. :smallsmile:

That must have been the best campaing ever

AdalKar
2011-07-01, 05:41 AM
That must have been the best campaing ever

Sadly it only lastet two sessions, but those sessions were so high on the awesomeness- and laugh-your-butt-off-skales it was totally worth it :smallbiggrin:

Tetsubo 57
2011-07-01, 10:37 AM
I've never understood the attraction of this race. Why would you want to play a character with 3rd level HP in a 6th level campaign? Sounds like a good way to get practice rolling up a new character right quick.

Amnestic
2011-07-01, 10:52 AM
I've never understood the attraction of this race. Why would you want to play a character with 3rd level HP in a 6th level campaign? Sounds like a good way to get practice rolling up a new character right quick.

For CON based classes ranged classes (such as the Dragonfire Adept), it's not so bad since the CON bonus doesn't get split and you won't get hit so much anyway.

Fax Celestis
2011-07-01, 04:17 PM
Have him play something with a familiar. Since it bases most of its stats off you, make the familiar generally person-shaped, call it a twin, and be done.

NNescio
2011-07-01, 04:23 PM
For CON based classes ranged classes (such as the Dragonfire Adept), it's not so bad since the CON bonus doesn't get split and you won't get hit so much anyway.

Alternatively, a low HD class who can get most of their HP from their CON mod anyway. Like say, a Psion, who technically isn't limited by the spellcasting restriction.

Prime32
2011-07-01, 05:53 PM
I've never understood the attraction of this race. Why would you want to play a character with 3rd level HP in a 6th level campaign? Sounds like a good way to get practice rolling up a new character right quick.If you're a Fiend of Possession your hp never comes up. So you just get to double your possession ability.

FMArthur
2011-07-01, 07:07 PM
And that's part of why I don't think they're good for the game. They're so good that the only builds that they would not be optimal to use for are pure spellcasters because of their inbuilt exception to how they cast spells. When someone plays one, other players are likely to be taking a long, hard look at their own racial abilities.

sreservoir
2011-07-01, 07:33 PM
If you're a Fiend of Possession your hp never comes up. So you just get to double your possession ability.

the real question is, how are you a fiend of possession?

Amnestic
2011-07-01, 07:47 PM
the real question is, how are you a fiend of possession?

Savage Species rituals would do the trick, wouldn't they?

sreservoir
2011-07-02, 09:02 AM
Savage Species rituals would do the trick, wouldn't they?

you'd still need some way to become an outsider.

Amnestic
2011-07-02, 09:12 AM
you'd still need some way to become an outsider.

Celestial Something-or-other regional background (I want to say Champions of Valour, but I honestly can't remember) plus the Otherworldly Regional Feat can take care of that I think, there's probably other ways to do it.

Edit: That's it, Celestial Attended Birth from Champions of Valour plus the Otherworldly regional feat.

Does require Faerun stuff to be allowed though.

TwylyghT
2011-08-01, 01:05 AM
A Dvati pair with Iaijutsu master levels winning initiative would result in a fine mess indeed...

its x-strike from Chrono Trigger!