PDA

View Full Version : Time Stop Contingent on Time Stop?

under_score
2011-06-29, 09:07 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, or something much like it anyway, but I'm having trouble locating the relevant discourse. What are your thoughts on a time stop contingent upon your own time stop effect ending? That is, you would cast Time Stop, as you come out of it the contingent spell would take effect and Time Stop would occur again.

I suspect this would work with RAW, but might be a little more cheese than most people are comfortable. This, of course, is not even considering Craft Contingent Spell...we'll just leave that out of this for now...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-06-30, 12:47 AM
Should be legal, a greater metamagic rod of extend would be a better source of more timestop rounds.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-30, 12:51 AM
Use it with Craft Contingent Spell, as you mentioned. A 17th level wizard would have 18d4+18 rounds of Time Stop if you chain them all one after the other (1st contingent spell has a condition to trigger when a Time Stop effect ends on you, 2nd contingent spell has a condition to trigger when the Time Stop effect of the first contingency ends, etc.). It's a bit excessive, really, but it can be done.

imperialspectre
2011-06-30, 01:03 AM
"Excessive" is pretty much the best description of a trick like this. Any game in which you have access to Time Stop and nested contingencies is a game in which your wizard shouldn't need more than the 5 rounds of standard Rod of Greater Maximized Time Stop.

ericgrau
2011-06-30, 02:18 AM
Should be legal, a greater metamagic rod of extend would be a better source of more timestop rounds.
As the duration is not in real time you actually need a greater rod of empower or maximize.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-06-30, 02:24 AM
Nope:

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).
Craft Contingent Spell could do it, but Contingency can only be used for 6th level and lower spells.

kardar233
2011-06-30, 02:34 AM
But, you could Contingency Celerity to give you an action to Time Stop in, I think.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-30, 04:14 AM
Spend the feat on Craft Contingent Spell.

It's worth it. Trust me.

(And yeah, Extend won't work on Time Stop. Empower and Maximise, however...)

lianightdemon
2011-06-30, 04:29 AM
Use Temporal Acceleration instead