PDA

View Full Version : Setting Sun Throws

Iamtheend
2011-06-29, 09:36 PM
When preforming a throw such as Ballista Throw, Comet Throw, Mighty Throw, or Tornado Throw can you choose any direction being straight up in the air? Tossing them upwards would result in 1d6 damage for each 10 feet unless they can make a tumble check to void it right?

Aren't there rules for forcing someone to hit into a wall or solid object from a bullrush? I can't seem to find the rules in my PHB. If such rules apply and if someone can help me find them then can you apply those rules with throwing someone into a wall?

It says to make a Melee Touch attack but nothing about it having to be specifically unarmed. Couldn't I use a spiked chain to preform this trip attack/throw?

Cerlis
2011-06-29, 09:49 PM
from what i've seen there are moves that specifically push people. Some if they hit a wall they just stop (like normal bull rushing i think) a few more offensive ones cause damage if you hit a wall ( i think maybe a tailswipe feat in Dragonomicon or savage species, and maybe a psionic power). however normally pushing someone doesnt default cause damage. I'd say i've only seen one or two that did.

and yes, i believe theoretically you could throw someone up. I dont think the book adresses that and so that would be a matter of RAW vs RAI. I'd personally rule that since you are throwing up you can only throw half as far at most.

Iamtheend
2011-06-29, 09:54 PM
Size limits of tripping involved with throws or can I throw anyone I can?

Big Fau
2011-06-29, 09:56 PM
Size limits of tripping involved with throws or can I throw anyone I can?

Because only actual trip attempts care about size categories, the Setting Sun maneuvers do not have the same restriction.

Cog
2011-06-29, 10:00 PM
Aren't there rules for forcing someone to hit into a wall or solid object from a bullrush? I can't seem to find the rules in my PHB.
You're probably thinking of the Dungeoncrasher. It's an alternate class feature, and you need to make that trade to access the abilities.

Iamtheend
2011-06-29, 10:03 PM
You're probably thinking of the Dungeoncrasher. It's an alternate class feature, and you need to make that trade to access the abilities.

I'm just trying to figure if there would be rules for throwing someone violently into a wall or a solid unmovable object. I could of sworn I read rules on this before but I would figure at least it would work like falling damage.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-29, 10:31 PM
They exists, but they only affect fighters, as they are the dungeon crasher ACF for Fighter, if you bull rush an enemy against a wall they take some dice of damage + (Str mod * 2) or (Str mod * 3).

Iamtheend
2011-06-29, 10:41 PM
Are there any spells that include having your enemy being thrown into a wall and applying extra damage?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-29, 10:46 PM
I think defenestrating sphere (CArc) might have some rules on that; but I am not sure.

Iamtheend
2011-06-29, 11:03 PM
Telekinesis says "If a telekinesed creature is hurled against a solid surface, it takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet (1d6 points)."

Be fair to consider a creature being thrown as being "hurled"? They are synonyms after all.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-29, 11:09 PM
To be honest I think you have come across an "ask your DM" issue.

DarkestKnight
2011-06-30, 11:49 PM
@Big Fau: setting sun throws actually take all size modifications into account, the opponent just doesn't get to attack you or try to trip you back. this is because no DM wants to see a dragon thrown across the room at Lvl 5.

In regards to effects that throw people around, some of the Bigby's spells either trip, push or swat things so have a look at those. some psionics move people around (telekinetic thrust is one i believe). also telekinesis' violent thrust is fun, especially in some terrains like a dessert. don't move your opponent into the sand, thrust all the sand at them (or the umpteen pounds of shurikens that i would take along). I would rule that the 10 ft for 1d6 damage is a ratio, so for every full 10ft it would have moved it takes 1d6 damage.

as to throwing people into things, i believe there is a chart in complete adventurer or warrior (whichever one has hulking hurler) that discusses heavy objects and collisions involving them.

in regards to the OP, yes you can throw someone straight up and have them suffer fall damage, just keep in mind what would be right under them:you.

begooler
2011-07-01, 01:42 AM
Actually, you would only be directly under them if they were on your square to begin with, if you're throwing them straight up from were they are standing.

Feytalist
2011-07-01, 01:51 AM
The wording of the maneuvres are such that you only need to choose the square "in which the target lands". I suppose there's nothing stopping you to choose the target square as "10 feet straight up", although everything else in the description assumes the target square is on the ground.

Big Fau
2011-07-01, 02:28 AM
@Big Fau: setting sun throws actually take all size modifications into account, the opponent just doesn't get to attack you or try to trip you back. this is because no DM wants to see a dragon thrown across the room at Lvl 5.

Yes, the modifiers are taken into account, but the initiator is not limited by size categories the way normal trip attempts are. They can get all the bonuses they want, but a Chuck-style Martial Adept can use Tornado Throw to fling Big T into orbit even while the former is polymorphed into a Pixie.

That's what I was saying.

Lapak
2011-07-01, 08:53 AM
The wording of the maneuvres are such that you only need to choose the square "in which the target lands". I suppose there's nothing stopping you to choose the target square as "10 feet straight up", although everything else in the description assumes the target square is on the ground.This. I'm pretty sure the damage of the throws IS the falling damage; it's just that the force is coming from you instead of gravity.

If you throw them straight up, then gravity eats all of the force YOU added, but replaces it exactly by the time they hit the ground again.

begooler
2011-07-01, 12:47 PM
If you throw them straight up, then gravity eats all of the force YOU added, but replaces it exactly by the time they hit the ground again.

Oh, really good point. This resolves everything, and prevents abuse. They can take falling damage, but not at the same time they damage from the maneuver. Also, if you try to do damage this way, the enemy could tumble to reduce the falling damage.

averagejoe
2011-07-01, 12:59 PM
some psionics move people around (telekinetic thrust is one i believe).

Energy push (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyPush.htm).