PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you want a mod to ignore a report?

Mystic Muse
2011-06-29, 09:54 PM
I reported this post here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11316071&postcount=91) not knowing the details. One of the other posters wanted his friend to critique the domain he made, and I reported him before I knew that. I was just wondering if there's any sort of specific thing you're supposed to do if you make a mistake, like simply re-reporting the post or something?

Just trying to clear up a misunderstanding is all.

HalfTangible
2011-06-29, 10:02 PM
No way to stop it once it's sent, but mods look at posts before issuing infractions, so i think it should be ok as long as it's clear you misunderstood.

Wait for word of mod on this. Because i might be wrong.

arguskos
2011-06-29, 10:05 PM
I fail to be a mod, but I have this feeling the process would look like this:

-You send the report, realize the mistake, and want to take it back/clarify/whatever.
-You send a PM to the mod of that section of the forum (I believe it is Zeb) explaining the situation and asking him to keep that in mind when reviewing the report.
-Zeb makes a judgment call and the situation is resolved accordingly.

Just seems to make sense. Of course, wait for Roland to roll up in here and lay down the law before acting.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-29, 10:26 PM
Alternatively, nothing stops you from reporting the same post twice, the second time with a clarification that you misunderstood. Whoever's in charge of that area will probably still look at the 'offending' post, but that's where judgement calls are good.

Roland St. Jude
2011-06-29, 10:32 PM
Alternatively, nothing stops you from reporting the same post twice, the second time with a clarification that you misunderstood. Whoever's in charge of that area will probably still look at the 'offending' post, but that's where judgement calls are good.That is exactly what I was going to recommend. The way the forum software works is that it collects all reports about a single post together. So reporting it again with a clarification or retraction will tell all mods that see it what is going on.

PMing the mods for that section (as listed in the Forum Rules) is also a good idea but somewhat less elegant a solution than the first one.