PDA

View Full Version : Question: Does the Giant have a level in mind for Xykon?

LudiDrizzt
2011-06-29, 10:39 PM
I know he's stated that he doesn't make character sheets for anyone, but I'm curious if he's ever stated that he knows Xykon's power level, and has it set in stone somewhere?

Or does it sort of just arbitrarily increase whenever necessary? Like how between his apparent death at the first gate and his attack on Azure City it became obvious just how powerful he was (And again when he fought Uber V).

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-29, 10:44 PM
At least 21st level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html).

LudiDrizzt
2011-06-29, 10:47 PM
Well yeah, I've read the comic.

I mean does he have something set in stone, or is it more arbitrary high because he doesn't have an in-combat solution planned for Xykon anywhere in the story?

FujinAkari
2011-06-29, 10:47 PM
There is a What level is Xykon, anyway? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205032) thread like... two below yours...

Funkyn
2011-06-29, 10:49 PM
In one post The Giant said the characters had no definite levels, can't remember where the post is though. All we know is Xyxon is epic level.

LudiDrizzt
2011-06-29, 10:57 PM
In one post The Giant said the characters had no definite levels, can't remember where the post is though. All we know is Xyxon is epic level.

Thanks. That's the best I'm gonna get I guess.

EDIT: Unless Rich wants to come in here and enlighten us...yes? No...

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-29, 10:59 PM
He won't. That's something you can take to the bank.

Ancalagon
2011-06-30, 05:05 AM
He does not have levels in mind as he said, but he's also so firm in the rules it seems unlikely he does not spend thoughts on it or has a rough estimation.
He also said in the 2007-interview he ponders the abilities of his chars so I'd say he has a closer estimation in his mind than he admits - and simply does not admit he has that closer estimation so we cannot nail him on a "mistake" he makes.

He put O-Chul's con in the area of "mid to high 20s" so I find it likely he also has Xykon estimated. Not more than specific than "somehow in the 20s to low 30s" but that's close enough. Around that level, it does not really matter what exact level Xykon is. He's super-powerful and higher than "barely epic". A specific level does not really carry more meaning than that.

This estimation is underlined by the fact Rich very much sticks to the limitations due to levels for Durkon. Roy and Belkar don't really matter but for Durkon and Vaarsuvius, "Level" becomes a very important concept. So while Rich says he "only has a very rough estimation of the chars and their abilities" I suspect that is a bit rougher than the truth.
I think it's as specific as many good DMs handle their NPCs. While the "rough" abilities and stats are clear they do not bother to write actuall character sheets and nail all stats to a specific value.

Blisstake
2011-06-30, 11:43 AM
Technically, he would have to be 30th level, which would allow him to forge epic rings (he made a fire immunity ring).

Although, then that seems impossible since Durkon was able to dispel his greater invisibility.

martianmister
2011-06-30, 11:52 AM
If we can open this kind of threads for characters, what's the point of "Class and Level Geekery" thread? :smallconfused:

Kish
2011-06-30, 11:56 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11319544&postcount=45

Kurald Galain
2011-07-01, 12:46 AM
Technically, he would have to be 30th level, which would allow him to forge epic rings (he made a fire immunity ring).
That's an assumption, though.

Although, then that seems impossible since Durkon was able to dispel his greater invisibility.
And that proves the assumption to be incorrect.

Red XIV
2011-07-01, 07:18 PM

And when you're already as high-level as Xykon (regardless of exactly how high that is), opportunities for XP gain are greatly diminished, so it's not like we could say he gained enough to level up to 30 between those events.

Dark Matter
2011-07-01, 11:57 PM
2nd row, 1st column.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html

KingofMadCows
2011-07-02, 12:10 AM
The setting is not super high magic/level. Even in higher magic/level settings like the Forgotten Realms, the epic level characters are powerful enough to rule over big organizations like Manshoon with the Zhentarim and entire kingdoms like the Zulkirs of Thay. If Xykon was made to be too powerful then he could pretty much rule the world even without the Snarl.

Dark Matter
2011-07-02, 10:50 AM
{Scrubbed}

Snails
2011-07-02, 06:08 PM
Read narrowly, the OP's question translates into "Does the Giant have a small range of possible level values, for which, within the context of the OotSverse*, the mechanics of D&D govern the results of Xykon's actions to a highly plausible degree?"

I would say "no".

Read very broadly, it could be translated into "Does the Giant have a level in mind for Xykon, such that he only rarely outright breaks the rules of D&D or bends them to an implausible degree?"

I would say "almost certainly, yes".

* Within the OotSVerse, there seem to certain commonalities, such as character optimization being rare to non-existent, and PrCs are probably quite rare.

zimmerwald1915
2011-07-02, 09:11 PM
2nd row, 1st column.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html
Roy isn't Xykon's Personal Rival. Xykon considers Roy so far from warranting serious concern that he's willing to banter with him for several rounds after Roy has demonstrated that his weapon is "particularly harmful to the undead". Conversely, Xykon isn't Roy's Personal Rival. Roy doesn't care about Xykon as a person, or the connection between Xykon and the Greenhilt family established by Eugene; he cares about the threat Xykon poses to the world. Nothing in the comic suggests that dynamic is in play at all.

Some days I wish the Giant had never included that particular sequence, simply due to the misconceptions it inevitably conjures.

Dark Matter
2011-07-02, 10:52 PM
True, he's only the comic's big bad. I mentioned that strip to strike down the argument that "he couldn't be really high level because he couldn't earn the XP". Just like Crystal (and innumerable other big bads), all of Xykon's XP wasn't played out.

FujinAkari
2011-07-03, 02:33 AM
True, he's only the comic's big bad. I mentioned that strip to strike down the argument that "he couldn't be really high level because he couldn't earn the XP". Just like Crystal (and innumerable other big bads), all of Xykon's XP wasn't played out.

We have no reason to suspect his xp hasn't been played out... we know he lived a full life of adventuring from SoD

Roland St. Jude
2011-07-03, 10:42 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This seems easily within the scope of the other Xykon age thread. One thread per topic, please.