PDA

View Full Version : Archivist spell mania

BIGMamaSloth
2011-06-29, 11:12 PM
I'm making a level 8 (possibly 9) Archivist For an upcoming campaign. I think my DM might be insane as I asked him if I could spend my WBL on additional spells in my prayerbook as If I spent my money and time on doing it during backstory. he said yes. :smallbiggrin:

I was rather happy with that answer. then he told me I had 50 000 starting gold. Oh my:smalleek:. would this be too overly broken if I spent it all on Scribing spells?

he isn't one to keep a balanced game, he was letting people buy +12 int helms and just multiplying the price by three on a +4 one.

visigani
2011-06-29, 11:14 PM
Your DM is a fool and needs to be instructed on how to properly run a game.

And you shouldn't be taking advantage of him.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-06-29, 11:15 PM
that's what I thought. it felt very wrong to just go along with what he says on a class that's already a pretty overpowered.

Re'ozul
2011-06-29, 11:26 PM
I could be wrong (which might be likely) but the Archivist prayerbook description only refers to rolls and time when refering the wizard's spellbook in inscribing spells in spellbooks. So maybe it doesn't cost anything?

If so you can just copypaste away.
Otherwise get 2 of these (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook).

Transcribing spells is actually pretty expensive otherwise.
I am playing a Druid/Wizard/Arcane Hierophant who is spellcrazy and has transcribed every single Wizard spell in the srd up to 6th level. It cost him 80,000gp. (And all of it would still fit into one blessed book if you were wondering wether they are economical)

Wether its a gamebreaking idea depends on your playstyle.
If you wanna buff and blast its less damaging than if you want to play God.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-06-29, 11:44 PM
Well I'm not a play god type. In fact it was mostly for flavour reasons. I was going to be an archivist that owns a large library and has spent years collecting every spell he could into spellbooks/prayerbooks/blessed books etc.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-06-29, 11:45 PM
Side note is there any way for me to get arcane spells as an archivist?

Squiggles
2011-06-29, 11:50 PM
Side note is there any way for me to get arcane spells as an archivist?

I guess that you can scribe the scroll, have an arcane caster cast the spell into it and it winds up being a Divine scroll and therefore something you can add to your prayerbook

MrRigger
2011-06-30, 12:23 AM
There are a couple spells that are only found on arcane lists, but you can get every Bard Spell as a Divine Spell (Divine Bard variant, Unearthed Arcana), and there are plenty of normally arcane only spells found on obscure domain lists. Ideally, and at higher levels of play, you get a Warlock12 Cohort who also has two levels in the Chameleon PrC, and uses his floating feat to jump between various crafting feats. He can scribe any Divine spell with a good enough Spellcraft (or is it UMD) check. And he can do the same for any other magical item normally available through crafting. And with the PHB II web enhancement on transfering costs, you can make the melee characters pay their own XP costs for magic arms and armor, get the cleric to pay the XP for his Prayer Beads of CL Boosting, get the druid to pay his own XP for his Wilding Clasps, etc.

MrRigger

holywhippet
2011-06-30, 12:42 AM
Your DM is a fool and needs to be instructed on how to properly run a game.

And you shouldn't be taking advantage of him.

Depends on what kind of campaign it is. If it's combat focused you might end up overpowered, but if it requires you to spend most of your time thinking the balance issues aren't that relevant.

Zaq
2011-06-30, 12:52 AM
Depends on what kind of campaign it is. If it's combat focused you might end up overpowered, but if it requires you to spend most of your time thinking the balance issues aren't that relevant.

You do realize that spells are the single best problem solvers in the game, right? And that there's a spell to find a workaround for pretty much any situation? If anything, they're more powerful in noncombat situations, just because WotC tended to be (though certainly wasn't always) more cautious with what happens after initiative is rolled.

Hazzardevil
2011-06-30, 01:34 AM
You do realize that spells are the single best problem solvers in the game, right? And that there's a spell to find a workaround for pretty much any situation? If anything, they're more powerful in noncombat situations, just because WotC tended to be (though certainly wasn't always) more cautious with what happens after initiative is rolled.

Yes, but rarely the problem is still there after 24 hours, it has either moved on, or killed you.

Kefkafreak
2011-06-30, 01:48 AM
I would allow it too as a DM, as long as you pay for the scrolls. You wouldn't have anything near 50.000 gold though.