PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Supers [D20/3.5e]

Milo v3
2011-06-30, 01:21 AM
I was hoping to play a realistic game set in modern world were each player has a super power. I was going to use D20 Modern, except I'm not sure about the class system and it seems stupid (IMHO). So is there anyway I can run a realistic Super powered game?

Also I realise that GURPS might fit with what I'm asking but I was hoping for 3.5e style so my players don't have to learn a completely new system.

kharmakazy
2011-06-30, 01:39 AM
I think mutants and masterminds is the way to go here honestly. It is already set up to do what it is you want to do.

It's a D20 system, classless. You give the players a number of points to purchase abilities and powers. They give powers to cover pretty much anything you can think of.

Milo v3
2011-06-30, 01:48 AM
Saddly I don't own a copy of Mutants & Masterminds.

Also each player would only get one power in my game.

Knaight
2011-06-30, 02:08 AM
GURPS should work in that case. Build a standard character, give them a designed power, call it a day. Alternately, if you want something lighter, Fudge can be used for the same result, and it is a free system.

Milo v3
2011-06-30, 03:39 AM
Also I realise that GURPS might fit with what I'm asking but I was hoping for 3.5e style so my players don't have to learn a completely new system.
So basically no GURPS.

Also I don't know anything about Fudge, the website is blocked on my lone computer, I don't have the dice.b

kharmakazy
2011-06-30, 03:46 AM
Really you have ruled out all of the easiest ways to do what you want.
I mean you want to play modern, but not d20 modern. You wan't to play supers, but gurps and Mutants and masterminds are out.

Otherwise just play DnD, adjust the setting to modern, and let the players pick a spell to cast at will.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-30, 03:50 AM
I would still pull things from d20 modern even if you don't want the classes, like weapons and armour.

Milo v3
2011-06-30, 04:06 AM
Really you have ruled out all of the easiest ways to do what you want.
I mean you want to play modern, but not d20 modern. You wan't to play supers, but gurps and Mutants and masterminds are out.

Otherwise just play DnD, adjust the setting to modern, and let the players pick a spell to cast at will.

I can't play it as a GURPS as I myself don't even know the rules and can't find out because my loner laptop blocks basically all GURPS sites.

And I don't have any Mutants & Masterminds books so I have no idea on the rules.

I would still pull things from d20 modern even if you don't want the classes, like weapons and armour.
I don't think the 3.5e classes would work in a modern setting as they are balanced for a world full of magic. Other than that I agree.

Croverus
2011-06-30, 04:24 AM
I can't play it as a GURPS as I myself don't even know the rules and can't find out because my loner laptop blocks basically all GURPS sites.

And I don't have any Mutants & Masterminds books so I have no idea on the rules.

I don't think the 3.5e classes would work in a modern setting as they are balanced for a world full of magic. Other than that I agree.

But the actual D&D d20 modern, the core at least, is designed specifically for humans living in a world that wierd stuff happens. The 6 classes are geared towards each ability score adn the powers are more superhuman rather than supernatural. As far as powers go you can house rule that. A character that takes "super strength" has a nice big bonus to his Stength stat and maybe has different rules for lifting and encumberance. If a character can fly, that's as easy as giving them a fly speed. An elemental power can be represented by rays, cones, lines, bursts, etc of that type of energy, possibly using a "recovery roll" each round to use the ability again (like rolling a 5 or 6 on a d6 to use the power).

kharmakazy
2011-06-30, 04:24 AM
Well, the only real answer left is to make it yourself.

Zeikstraal
2011-06-30, 04:54 AM
Maybe Fallout Pen and paper is an option. It's a free game and rral easy to learn. Its not a D20 system but D100. And you do not have classes but skills that make your character.