PDA

View Full Version : Limit Breaks

Hawkflight
2011-06-30, 01:54 AM
First off, look at the limit break feats in this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167123

Now, I've been trying to develop some limit break feats for my character, but I've run into the problem of I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have a concept in mind (limit breaks using unarmed strikes and energy attacks, like the Setting Sun and Desert Wind maneuvers), but absolutely no idea where to start with the crunch. Can someone help me out please?

Lappy9000
2011-06-30, 02:08 AM
Well, Zeta Kai worked on pretty much all the Final Fantasy limit breaks. I've used them under his Final Fantasy X d20 rules, and they're pretty awesome.

[Link] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54941)

TSED
2011-06-30, 08:35 AM
My recommendation would be that after you take a certain amount of damage (HD and HD size related, presumably) you get a free use of a ToB maneuver. One that you shouldn't be able to have, level-wise (or 9th level, I guess), but probably 1 step higher is enough. A 5th level crusader busting out a 4th level stone dragon smash maneuver would be a nice feeling.

DracoDei
2011-06-30, 09:51 AM
IF you use TSED's idea (which I can't comment on the relative merits of compared to other basic ideas) then I recommend the following:

My recommendation would be that after you take a certain amount of damage (HD and HD size related, presumably) Or maybe a percentage of actual hitpoints? Doesn't reward high-con characters, but doesn't punish those with lower con or who rolled poorly for hp.

you get a free use of a ToB maneuver. One that you shouldn't be able to have, level-wise (or 9th level, I guess), but probably 1 step higher is enough. A 5th level crusader busting out a 4th level stone dragon smash maneuver would be a nice feeling.
6th level, not so much... maybe 1.5 steps? IE 3 class levels ahead.

Hawkflight
2011-06-30, 12:33 PM
Well, I was trying to use the style of limit break feats that jiriku used, you see....

Hawkflight
2011-06-30, 12:34 PM
Well, I was trying to use the style of limit break feats that jiriku used, you see....

Morph Bark
2011-06-30, 04:28 PM
If you want your players to spend feats on Limit Breaks, rather than add them as a combat mechanic, have Zeta Kai's Limit Breaks simply be useable as feats, except for the ones that are multiple-in-one like Blue Magic.

There is also this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168962) class of mine that was based on a group of classes (link in the first post there) of which you could have the limit breaks be gainable through feats.

Hawkflight
2011-06-30, 04:39 PM
No no no, I'm a player, not a DM. I already have my class all planned out through level 20. I just need some help coming up with feats in the style of the ones I linked to in the first post.

Morph Bark
2011-06-30, 05:25 PM
Ah. Usually I figure when somebody asks about homebrew and does not refer to someone else DMing that they are a DM themselves. I read right over the rest of that, sorry.