PDA

View Full Version : Beavers, Lumberjacks and Canada

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-30, 11:41 AM
I'm playing DnD on Canada Day, it's a one-shot campaign, and so naturally I plan to ham it up, a lot. Now, I'm playing a Lumberjack (Read as Axe Wielding Ranger with favored enemy plants. And then maybe animals if I get to that point.) And I'd like to have a Beaver companion, just for sheer hilarity. Does anyone know of existing stats. I'm thinking a Weasel with a Swim speed removing the Attach, improving it's strength giving it Hold Breath and Improved Natural Attack (Bite).

Morbis Meh
2011-06-30, 12:06 PM
Well it usually depends on what stereotype you go by, some American's I have met think we live in igloo's and have a Maple Tree in our back yard so maybe you could incorporate those? As for the beaver a weasel is way too small in comparison you would be better off using a a badger as the template sans rage of course. The other ideas work fine but they should also get skills in Craft Dam and profession: Lumber Jack.

Telonius
2011-06-30, 12:07 PM
... I would really love to help out with this, but having "beaver" show up as a search term on the company computer is probably not conducive to my continued employment. :smallbiggrin: Good luck!

hydroplatypus
2011-06-30, 02:55 PM
This is among the best character concepts I have heard of. This is awesome! Go Canada:smallbiggrin:

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-06-30, 04:33 PM
This is among the best character concepts I have heard of. This is awesome! Go Canada:smallbiggrin:

+1 So many types of awesome.

Take ranks in profession cook and invent poutine. Maybe take leadership and get Epic Meal Time as followers or cohorts. I just love the idea of a lumberjack character who tries to eat everything he kills, always finishing a battle with "next time we eat X".

Break out into "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK...." at random intervals (maybe a dip into bard so you can use it to inspire).

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-30, 09:28 PM
I'd quote everyone if it weren't possibly too large. But Thank you all.

Hmm, Badger without Rage, With Hold Breath, No Claw Attacks, (I can't see a beaver using claws, maybe a slam with the tail I know they don't use them offensively so secondary) And I think maybe a 10ft land and 30ft swim. Then Improved Natural Attack for the Bite, and maybe Improved Critical for the bite as well, to make note of their massive fangs. lol.

I understand completely. And thank you.

Duh, Canada is Awesome.

Early Concept for the Lumberjack was a Bardbarian,for that reason which I then decided needed a Beaver, and then I remembered the Wild Cohort feat. All that's left is to stat up the Beaver, Maybe Dire.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-30, 09:40 PM
If you are going to be a Bardbarian, you must sing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg) for your preform.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-30, 09:54 PM
If you are going to be a Bardbarian, you must sing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg) for your preform.

Thank you, but already stated by Tibbaer (I apologize for bastardizing the name)

Worlok
2011-06-30, 10:29 PM
I really felt like posting that "Back to Canada" song from the Nickelodeon show with the two beavers, but I can't seem to find a clip of it. :smallbiggrin: Have a non-singing beaver though, maybe teach it the Perform trick later. :smalltongue:

BEAVER
Small Animal
HD 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares), swim 30 ft. (average)
Init: +2
AC 14 (+2 dex, +1 natural, +1 size); touch 13; flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple +0 / -4
Attack Bite +3 melee (1d4)
Full-Attack Bite +3 melee (1d4) and 2 claws -2 melee (1d2)
Space/Reach 2.5 ft / 0 ft.
Special Attacks Improved grab
Special Qualities Hold breath, low-light vision, scent
Saves Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +1
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills Listen +2, Hide +6 (+10), Spot +2, Swim +12
Feats Improved Natural Attack (bite), Weapon Finesse (BONUS)
Environment Temperate and cold forests and swamps
Organization Solitary, pair or family (3-10)
Challenge Rating 1/2
Treasure None
Alignment Always neutral
Advancement 2 HD (small)

These mammals are among the biggest of all rodents. They are well-known for their felling of trees to construct their homes, called dams, with. Their perceived clumsiness on firm ground belies their grace in the water.

COMBAT

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a beaver must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Hold Breath (Ex): A beaver can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Skills: A beaver uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Swim checks. A beaver has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. It has a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks made to hide in murky water or among undergrowth and deadwood.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-30, 10:35 PM
Thank you, but already stated by Tibbaer (I apologize for bastardizing the name)
Dang. Well, it is still true.
Another song you might consider, and potentially less likely to get you kicked off the table, is the Black Fly Song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo)

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-30, 11:17 PM
I really felt like posting that "Back to Canada" song from the Nickelodeon show with the two beavers, but I can't seem to find a clip of it. :smallbiggrin: Have a non-singing beaver though, maybe teach it the Perform trick later. :smalltongue:

BEAVER
Small Animal
HD 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares), swim 30 ft. (average)
Init: +2
AC 14 (+2 dex, +1 natural, +1 size); touch 13; flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple +0 / -4
Attack Bite +3 melee (1d4)
Full-Attack Bite +3 melee (1d4) and 2 claws -2 melee (1d2)
Space/Reach 2.5 ft / 0 ft.
Special Attacks Improved grab
Special Qualities Hold breath, low-light vision, scent
Saves Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +1
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills Listen +2, Hide +6 (+10), Spot +2, Swim +12
Feats Improved Natural Attack (bite), Weapon Finesse (BONUS)
Environment Temperate and cold forests and swamps
Organization Solitary, pair or family (3-10)
Challenge Rating 1/2
Treasure None
Alignment Always neutral
Advancement 2 HD (small)

These mammals are among the biggest of all rodents. They are well-known for their felling of trees to construct their homes, called dams, with. Their perceived clumsiness on firm ground belies their grace in the water.

COMBAT

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a beaver must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Hold Breath (Ex): A beaver can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Skills: A beaver uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Swim checks. A beaver has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. It has a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks made to hide in murky water or among undergrowth and deadwood.

Sick, all I need to do is apply the Dire Template I found somewhere.

Dang. Well, it is still true.
Another song you might consider, and potentially less likely to get you kicked off the table, is the Black Fly Song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo)

True that, Blackflies be awful, visit Bon Echo in the spring. Not even the shields on the enterprise could handle those.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-30, 11:29 PM
*snip*

I think it needs some kind of tail slap ability, either as a signal or (if we are going for silly) as a sonic effect that possibly does damage. It also needs the Fiendish template.

Orsen
2011-07-01, 01:20 AM
Canada represent! Also, maybe instead of an axe, he could fight with a long stick that angles for less then a foot at one end. He could use it in melee or use it to shoot things at enemies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3hC1aKn_E&feature=related) :smallbiggrin:

Talya
2011-07-01, 06:54 AM
This is all just...wrong.

Quietus
2011-07-01, 10:02 AM
I'd like to share this : http://www.weregeek.com/2011/07/01/

Worlok
2011-07-01, 10:39 AM
I think it needs some kind of tail slap ability, either as a signal or (if we are going for silly) as a sonic effect that possibly does damage. It also needs the Fiendish template.
Of course! I had entirely forgotten about that, thanks.

Templates can of course be added to one's heart's content later on, but for that tail slap...

Tail Slap (Su): A beaver can slap the surface of a body of water with its tail, emanating an unceasing barrage of clapping sounds. It may initiate this ability as part of a move action, but actually performing it takes up the remainder of the round and counts as a full-round action for every round it is maintained thereafter. It may be maintained for a number of rounds equal to 3 + (the beaver's Con modifier), every additional round requires a Fortitude save against a DC of 10 (with an additional +2 every further round). Failure on one of these Fort saves leaves the beaver fatigued, the round of initiation does not count towards the maintenance limit. For the duration of this ability the beaver counts as flat-footed, but automatically deals 1d3 sonic damage per round to every creature within 30 feet that is not a beaver or has the Canadian subtype, unless such a creature is immune to sonic damage, of course. Beavers (other than the slapping one) and creatures of the Canadian subtype within sixty feat gain the benefits of the Alertness feat for the duration of this performance.

Would this do as a properly beavery special attack? :smalltongue:

Vent Reynolt
2011-07-01, 10:44 AM

Is it bad that I got a kick out of noticing the mention at about 20 seconds in of the larch? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8nHaelWtc)

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-07-01, 11:31 AM
I just have one question.

Why aren't you an anthropomorphic moose?

Ravens_cry
2011-07-01, 11:47 AM
Of course! I had entirely forgotten about that, thanks.
You're welcome.:smallsmile:

Templates can of course be added to one's heart's content later on, but for that tail slap...

They need the Fiendish template . . . so they are damned.:smallbiggrin:

*distilled maple flavoured awesome*
Would this do as a properly beavery special attack? :smalltongue:
That will do Worlok, that will do.:smallamused:

Admiral Squish
2011-07-01, 11:56 AM

Ooh, want! So, that would be what, dire elk, or megaloceros?

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-07-01, 12:14 PM

If by wrong you mean oh so very right, then I agree entirely

+1.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-01, 12:26 PM

I think so long as we're canadian and making a joke of this it's all fine. It's always good to laugh at ourselves once in a while. Heck right now I'm not in an Igloo, I'm outside tanning just came inside to check the computer. It's all good.

Talya
2011-07-01, 12:36 PM
I have a maple tree in my FRONT yard, though. :smallsmile:

Quietus
2011-07-01, 12:38 PM

Psh. Faker! Go eat some maple syrup as penance.

Vent Reynolt
2011-07-01, 12:48 PM

So do I (though it is actually a Japanese maple), and I'm American!

Worlok
2011-07-01, 12:56 PM
They need the Fiendish template . . . so they are damned.:smallbiggrin:
Point taken, but that doesn't need to be part of the base statblock, I reckon. :smallwink:

That will do Worlok, that will do.:smallamused:
Always happy to please. :smallsmile:

But...

Waaaiiit a second. What is this:

A servant of Vecna, seeking to shape a Canadian character in the likeness of Cas (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=1)? A people renowned for politeness depicted as the demigod of spite on behalf of the god of secrets? And you ask me to damn the local wildlife per inherent template? Is this some sort of plot to defile and overtake our beloved Elemental Plane of Maple Syrup? :smalleek: :smalltongue:

(Which is to say... Somehow I think that would make for one hell of a Canada Day campaign. :smallamused:)

BlueInc
2011-07-01, 01:06 PM
Speak in Sylvan all the time and claim it's French.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-01, 02:11 PM
Speak in Sylvan all the time and claim it's French.

We already have French as a language in our campaign, I speak it fluently, lol, so does one other player, we have a secret alliance.

Otherworld Odd
2011-07-01, 02:15 PM
You have to be like Canadian Guy. Just sayin'.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/836

QuidEst
2011-07-01, 03:10 PM
The villain could probably use some theme music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TfBbR6L0M), too.

Gettles
2011-07-01, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that you should have ranks in Knowledge (Ice Hockey) considering I'm pretty sure all Canadian citizens are born knowing what the icing rule is and what type of violence you should threaten that jackass ref who called it against (INSERT LOCAL TEAM HERE).

Talya
2011-07-01, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that you should have ranks in Knowledge (Ice Hockey) considering I'm pretty sure all Canadian citizens are born knowing what the icing rule is and what type of violence you should threaten that jackass ref who called it against (INSERT LOCAL TEAM HERE).

Icing is a cut and dry offside ruling of sorts, there's very few occasions where one would dispute it, for or against your own team.

Roughing, Interference, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Charging, Boarding, Tripping, Hooking, Crosschecking, Instigating...those tend to be more controversial.

Gettles
2011-07-01, 04:34 PM
Icing is a cut and dry offside ruling of sorts, there's very few occasions where one would dispute it, for or against your own team.

Rouging, Interference, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Charging, Boarding, Tripping, Hooking, Crosschecking, Instigating...those tend to be more controversial.

My mistake I'm a brainless American.

Talya
2011-07-01, 04:38 PM
My mistake I'm a brainless American.

No, you're not.

This came up in conversation today.

Brainless Americans (which occur in similar proportions to brainless people of other nationalities) are the ones who may ask the question, "On what date do Canadians celebrate the 4th of July?" (Yes, I've heard that question before.)

Anyway, you can bet that most sports fans in Boston, Chicago, or Detroit also understand the Icing rule.

Otherworld Odd
2011-07-01, 07:59 PM
No, you're not.

This came up in conversation today.

Brainless Americans (which occur in similar proportions to brainless people of other nationalities) are the ones who may ask the question, "On what date do Canadians celebrate the 4th of July?" (Yes, I've heard that question before.)

Anyway, you can bet that most sports fans in Boston, Chicago, or Detroit also understand the Icing rule.

So what date do you guys celebrate the 4th of July? :smallconfused:

I'm joking. >.>

kardar233
2011-07-01, 08:15 PM
I live in Vancouver, and on June 15th I had to ask someone "Is there a game on tonight?" :smallwink:

'Course, I was bringing my sword home so I didn't exactly notice the massive hordes.

I second the Anthropomorphic Moose suggestion. And the references to TPLIM.

imperialspectre
2011-07-01, 08:28 PM
Also for inspirational bardsongs: "Two Beavers Are Better Than One" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hqklWJxUTo&feature=related)

GoatBoy
2011-07-01, 10:29 PM
Bah, everyone knows that the Ultimate Canadian would be a Drunken Master with permanent fast healing. You know, 'cause of the free health care.

Also, lacks proficiency with ranged weapons.

Don't forget your +1 touque!

klemdakherzbag
2011-07-01, 10:33 PM
Dip a level for swashbuckler? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_L9tXEwmc)

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-03, 08:09 PM
Bah, everyone knows that the Ultimate Canadian would be a Drunken Master with permanent fast healing. You know, 'cause of the free health care.

Also, lacks proficiency with ranged weapons.

Don't forget your +1 touque!

I disagree with the first, we do more than just drink. We're Canadian and not so easily pinned down.

Blasphemy to the second. I come from a long line of people that are very proficient with ranged weapons.

And what exactly sort of bonus does it give me? +1 Ac and Cold Resistance 10.