PDA

View Full Version : a Gladiator Question

big teej
2011-06-30, 03:32 PM
2 of them in fact.

the first.

Gladiator, a fighter prestiege class from the 3.0 book Sword and Fist.

was it updated to 3.5 anywhere? if so, what book?

2nd question.
I'm currently equipping my Gladiator and I'm looking for suggestions for ... "gladitorial" equipment. namely arms and armour
I need things both brutal and "showey"

with this in mind I have decided on a
Brutal Surge Heavy Pick (possibly with the Acid enchantment)
and
Battle Armor (Races of Stone) with the Gloryborn template (DMGII)
along with an Extreme Steel Shield

*yes, I am aware sword and board is inferior, work with me.

thanks in advance.

Diarmuid
2011-06-30, 03:36 PM
I havent found a "Gladiator" base class or PrC listed in the old indexes that were on CandleKeep, but those didnt have the last few books covered.

There could be something similarly fluffed but named differently, but if so I'm not aware of it.

What kind of WBL are you working with? That will help with equipment suggestions.

Net & Trident are Gladiator staples, as are weapons that can be used for tripping. While your Heavy Pick may sound impressive, it's not necessarily going to be all that showy, and ending your foe in 1 big hit is certainly not good "entertainment" from a gladiatorial perspective.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-30, 03:41 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists

This will help you find any prestige class you need. Apparently, Gladiator was never updated, unless the Thayvan one is the same. I didn't look too much, but they look nothing alike at a quick glance.

big teej
2011-06-30, 03:42 PM
6th level.

and I know the net/trident are historical staples, and that a one spectacular blow is a bit.... contradictory.

but the mental image of hitting someone with a glorified pickaxe is... sufficiently brutal for my purposes.

I'm playing with the idea of a Gladiator who actually spends most of the fight showboating and taunting, hammering his opponent with showey blows that don't really do any damage + playing to the audience. and actually winning the fight with a few heavy strikes.

I'm also considering giving him a second weapon with fleshgrinding.... like a harpoon. :smallbiggrin: