PDA

View Full Version : Please help me build an effective cleric

Kaeso
2011-06-30, 04:12 PM
Hey there,

I'm planning to play in a PbP game soon (my character hasn't been accepted yet, but I'm determined to play one so if it doesnt get accepted I'll place the same concept somewhere else.

Anyway, it's a lesser aasimar cloistered cleric with the following stats: 7 9 11 11 15 16, but I'm allowed to reroll the lowest three. His god is Bahamut and I'm not likely to change that, unless somebody can opt some VERY good reasons why I shouldn't take him. I want to make him a caster that ... well..... casts spells, and doesn't jump into the fray with divine power shenenigans (but, of course, ha can use some buffs in a tight spot). There are some thinks that made me doubt during my character building process:

1. The domains. I'm planning to take Knowledge (which is free), Dragon and either protection (which I'll trade in for protection devotion), Air or Cold or Luck. Which one of the latter three is better for my role, and is there some way I can get a natural weapon (so I can benefit from the magic fang spells the dragon domain offers).

2. What are good cleric prestige classes for a support caster?

3. What feats would you suggest, I'm planning to take nymphs kiss and touch of healing no matter what, unless somebody can give me a good reason not to take them.

OH, and before I forget it, this campaign starts at ECL 6 and I have 16,000 gp to spend. The Core (SRD) and complete series are all allowed, though I can probably get a few other sources with DM approval (Please, no nightstick cheese :smallamused:).

Edit: I just rerolled, my stats are now 9 11 11 12 15 16
Edit2: I'm just looking for some advice on how to be useful, since this will be the first time I build a cleric that isn't a CoDzilla. I'd rather not have huge ammounts of stinky, stinky cheese.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-30, 04:43 PM
You could try the Damage Sink cleric--take Endurance and Diehard, then DMM:Persist a Delay Death (SpC) on yourself, and cast Shield Other on all your party members. You take half of all their damage, and you're incapable of being even inconvenienced by hit point damage--you could be at -150 and still be fighting. Just make sure to heal up before 24 hours pass.

Kaeso
2011-06-30, 05:06 PM
You could try the Damage Sink cleric--take Endurance and Diehard, then DMM:Persist a Delay Death (SpC) on yourself, and cast Shield Other on all your party members. You take half of all their damage, and you're incapable of being even inconvenienced by hit point damage--you could be at -150 and still be fighting. Just make sure to heal up before 24 hours pass.

I don't know, not to insult you or anything but that does sound quite cheesy. Sure, it's no limburger, but it's still quite cheesy.

The Rabbler
2011-06-30, 05:25 PM
You could go buffer cleric? Sacred Exorcist for turning attempts, Contemplative for bonus domains, Divine Oracle for some defenses and domains, 1 level dip into death delver for another turning track, prestige paladin dip for another turning track, etc.

Pick some PrCs, grab as many turn undead tracks as possible, get DMM, Extend spell, Persist spell, and Chain Spell to send buffs around to the entire party, then spend the rest of your turns casting debuffs and battlefield controlling, I guess. Wizards are a lot better than clerics at playing the support role because of all of their controlling spells, while clerics have a lot more self buffs, party buffs, and even more buffs. If you pick the right domains, you could work with them, though. I'm sure there are some domains that get you some supportive abilities.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-30, 08:30 PM
I don't know, not to insult you or anything but that does sound quite cheesy. Sure, it's no limburger, but it's still quite cheesy.

Well, I suppose. :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2011-06-30, 08:43 PM
How effective do you want to be? Pure Cloistered Cleric is just fine. Stat Priority of Wis > Con > Dex > Int > Cha > Str is fairly decent. Load up on party-level buff spells. Just Core, you've got Prayer (3rd) and Bless (1st) at your specified starting level; branching out of Core, you've got things like Elation (Cleric-2: Book of Exalted Deeds... which you clearly have access to), Mass Aid (Cleric-3: Spell Compendium), Mass Conviction (Cleric-3: Spell Compendium), Mass Resist Energy (Cleric-3, Spell Compendium), Mass Lesser Vigor (Cleric-3: Spell Compendium), Divine Protection (Cleric-2, Spell Compendium), and so on. Spell Compendium is really useful.

Other tricks - like Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) to make some of these last all day can make you more effective... but you don't really need it to be merely effective.

Urpriest
2011-06-30, 08:43 PM
Regarding Nymph's Kiss, I'd advise talking to the DM about how Exalted feats are going to be handled. You don't want to give your character a vulnerability to arbitrary attacks of moral dilemma.

Church Inquisitor isn't bad for a support caster. I've heard good things about Paragnostic Apostle as well, and everybody likes Contemplative.

For domains, Luck gets brought up a lot, though that may be because it contains Miracle and hence is nice for Arcane casters.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-30, 08:48 PM
For domains, Luck gets brought up a lot, though that may be because it contains Miracle and hence is nice for Arcane casters.
The 1/day arbitrary reroll isn't shabby either, regardless of level - although with what you'll usually be using that reroll for, Pride is better (and very in line with a deity of dragons...).

Kaeso
2011-06-30, 09:04 PM
The 1/day arbitrary reroll isn't shabby either, regardless of level - although with what you'll usually be using that reroll for, Pride is better (and very in line with a deity of dragons...).

It's a shame, but Bahamut doesn't grant the pride domain, only Wee Jas does in core.

Psyren
2011-06-30, 09:12 PM
Have you read the Cleric Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0) yet?

Kaeso
2011-07-01, 09:17 AM
Have you read the Cleric Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0) yet?

Yes but, no offense to its creator, I've found it to be a bit lackluster. It names the possibility of a caster based cleric, but almost all the other sections of it focus on the stereotypical 'buff and smash' cleric. The spell section also names a few spells, but never explains why they're good and for what type of cleric. It hardly helps me for the kind of cleric I want to create, save for a recommended feat or two.

Also, I don't want to sound bitchy or demanding, but I'd really like to know which domain is more useful: luck, air, cold or protection (which may or may not be traded in for protection devotion).

Urpriest
2011-07-01, 09:27 AM
Come to think of it, Clerics do make excellent summoners. I could see your character being a viable Malconvoker, for example. Very casterly role.

Elric VIII
2011-07-01, 09:35 AM
Also, I don't want to sound bitchy or demanding, but I'd really like to know which domain is more useful: luck, air, cold or protection (which may or may not be traded in for protection devotion).

They all have some good points, but Air seems the most lackluster. Cold's Wall of Ice, Ice Storm, and Hail Storm make decent BFC. Luck has a decent power and good spells, Mislead is a nice defensive spell and Moment of Prescience can help your skillmonkey role (which I assume is a reason for Cloistered Cleric). Protection gives you AMF 4 levels early and Mind Blank is a nice defensive buff, but Protection Devotion is not too great.

Kaeso
2011-07-01, 09:53 AM
Come to think of it, Clerics do make excellent summoners. I could see your character being a viable Malconvoker, for example. Very casterly role.

What makes them better summoners than say, a wizard with the conjuration ACF's from UA?

They all have some good points, but Air seems the most lackluster. Cold's Wall of Ice, Ice Storm, and Hail Storm make decent BFC. Luck has a decent power and good spells, Mislead is a nice defensive spell and Moment of Prescience can help your skillmonkey role (which I assume is a reason for Cloistered Cleric). Protection gives you AMF 4 levels early and Mind Blank is a nice defensive buff, but Protection Devotion is not too great.

You have some good points there.... very well, Cold it is!

Urpriest
2011-07-01, 10:24 AM
What makes them better summoners than say, a wizard with the conjuration ACF's from UA?

Planar Ally without chicanery, mostly. Summoning Domain, though obviously that's not a consideration for you. Somewhat better ability to buff summons. DMM if needed.

They're not straightforwardly better, but it's still a role they can be competitive in.

kharmakazy
2011-07-01, 10:32 AM
Cleric, full plate, cast some spells, stab some things, DMM if you are feeling sexy. It's hard to go wrong with cleric, honestly. Maybe do the dragonborn thing since you are already following der dragon lord.

Andorax
2011-07-01, 11:01 AM
Not sure about optimization, but I had a great deal of fun playing a cloistered cleric/divine oracle with the Domain Spontineity: Oracle. All about knowledge, by study or by divine insight.