PDA

View Full Version : Browser Qs

Keld Denar
2011-06-30, 05:34 PM
So, recently my browser at home updated to IE9 (I think, whatever the newest one is). When I write posts, I can no longer use the keyboard shortcut of Ctr + B to bold things, as this now opens up the Edit Bookmarks window. I wish it to NOT do that. Is there any way I can fix this to get my bolding functionality back?

Also, when I want to insert pictures or links into threads, I keep getting the little popup under my tabs that says something about allowing ActiveX to run on this site. Is there any way I can set that to always be on for GitP?

Thanks!

ragingrage
2011-06-30, 06:42 PM
Using IE9, I can duplicate the Bold thing. I'm not sure how to fix that.

The picture/link thing, however, didn't happen when I tried it. :smallconfused:

Renegade Paladin
2011-06-30, 07:39 PM
So, recently my browser at home updated to IE9 (I think, whatever the newest one is). When I write posts, I can no longer use the keyboard shortcut of Ctr + B to bold things, as this now opens up the Edit Bookmarks window. I wish it to NOT do that. Is there any way I can fix this to get my bolding functionality back?

Also, when I want to insert pictures or links into threads, I keep getting the little popup under my tabs that says something about allowing ActiveX to run on this site. Is there any way I can set that to always be on for GitP?

Thanks!
Use Firefox. Also, inserting pictures and links shouldn't need ActiveX controls; I'm not sure why it would do that.

The Bushranger
2011-06-30, 11:03 PM
Not everybody can use Firefox, and not everybody wants to use it.

Elder Tsofu
2011-06-30, 11:46 PM
Not everybody can use Firefox, and not everybody wants to use it.

Exactly, they use Opera or Chrome. :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-01, 01:15 AM
I think it's ActiveX (or maybe simply "scripted window") that brings up the little popup where you put in your url for the link or the image tags. I'm on IE8 at work and I'm not allowed to use anything else (and I also get these warnings when I try to link or insert), for security reasons. I'm on IE9 at home because I like it better.

Recommending a change of browser whenever someone's having an issue is not only not helpful, it's downright rude. This is not an "FF only" or "No IE" site. These comments are superfluous (they offer no assistance at all) at best and potentially inciteful (starting a heated "my browser is better than yours and you're stupid for not agreeing with me" debate), and therefore best left out.

Rawhide
2011-07-01, 02:23 AM
There should be no ActiveX applets attempting to run from GitP. Are you sure you're not thinking of something else?

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-01, 02:47 AM
There should be no ActiveX applets attempting to run from GitP. Are you sure you're not thinking of something else?Here's what happens in mine when I try to do either thing...

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/countrugen/th_popup.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/countrugen/?action=view&current=popup.jpg)

Rawhide
2011-07-01, 02:50 AM
Here's what happens in mine when I try to do either thing...

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/countrugen/th_popup.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/countrugen/?action=view&current=popup.jpg)

I actually meant that for Keld Denar. But yeah, those should all be Javascript, not ActiveX.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-01, 02:57 AM
Right. I'm just thinking he's seeing the same thing I am and, since ActiveX is more common in the fine text on these things, his memory may have defaulted to that.

Rawhide
2011-07-01, 02:59 AM
Right. I'm just thinking he's seeing the same thing I am and, since ActiveX is more common in the fine text on these things, his memory may have defaulted to that.

Exactly. He should check though. If it actually is an ActiveX warning, then something is wrong.

Renegade Paladin
2011-07-01, 06:26 AM
I think it's ActiveX (or maybe simply "scripted window") that brings up the little popup where you put in your url for the link or the image tags.
Oh. Right, I forgot there are people who don't just type the code. That would explain it.

I'm on IE8 at work and I'm not allowed to use anything else (and I also get these warnings when I try to link or insert), for security reasons. I'm on IE9 at home because I like it better.

Recommending a change of browser whenever someone's having an issue is not only not helpful, it's downright rude. This is not an "FF only" or "No IE" site. These comments are superfluous (they offer no assistance at all) at best and potentially inciteful (starting a heated "my browser is better than yours and you're stupid for not agreeing with me" debate), and therefore best left out.
It does offer assistance; it would directly solve his problem. There are likely other solutions to his problem, but not using IE is one of them, and the one I'm familiar with. I don't see offering help as rude, and I'm certainly not about to get into heated arguments over browser choice, of all things; it was a suggestion, nothing more.

Keld Denar
2011-07-01, 10:24 AM

Wise Troll is wise, and I failed my spot checks. I checked it again, and it IS Javascript. As I stated, it only pops up when with the little window where you copy/pasta the URL for inserting hyperlinks or pictures. :smallredface:

So yea, is there any way I can set it to "always allow" for gitp? Its not THAT annoying, but annoying enough.

And anyone have anything to weigh in on the bolding shortcut? I know thats not REALLY an issue with GitP, but considering how much bolding I do in PbP games (which is really the only place I do much browser based bolding), I figured I'd ask anyway. <3

And yea, I used to use FF and I tried Chrome. I personally like IE better for most things, I just want to work around these couple small bugs.

EDIT: If Rawhide needs an example of one of those posts that posts but doesn't show up...this post is one of them. At 8:24 PST, when I posted this, I got a DNS error. Whenever I get one of these errors, the post always gets posted, but doesn't "bump" to the top of the page and the last poster note doesn't update to me. I know the workarounds and all that, just thought you'd like some data. I dunno if you can tell exactly what was going on when I posted this, but yea...here it is. I probably shoulda screen-shotted the error, but I will try to again if I get it. Thank you!

Elder Tsofu
2011-07-01, 10:37 AM
I don't see offering help as rude, and I'm certainly not about to get into heated arguments over browser choice, of all things; it was a suggestion, nothing more.
Well, apparently Zeb The Troll see it as downright rude and non-constructive. So I suppose it just show that there is a mix of people out there, and that if you want to please everyone you'd better just keep quiet.
(As an example I thought it was a bit rude to call it downright rude to offer an viable solution)

Remember that the solution to the malfunctioning car might be to trade it for an other car.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-01, 01:02 PM
It depends on where the problem lies. For instance, Chromium has this same problem for me. The problem lies in the browser itself; it simply doesn't properly implement rich text editing, and this is in fact the big deal-breaker for me from switching to Chrome.

If this is the case, and the browser doesn't properly implement RTE, you have three options:

1) Learn to code and fix the problem yourself.
2) Use a browser that does it right.
3) Suck it up.

Since Internet Explorer is closed-source, 1 is not an option. Suggesting the poster use a browser that DOES do it properly is the only constructive option in this case.

Siosilvar
2011-07-01, 01:41 PM

Assuming it's possible, one should switch out from IE8 and below. I don't know much about IE9, but the previous versions (especially IE6 and below) simply don't implement some of the stuff used here properly or at all.

The majority of threads about browser-based problems here are IE users (followed pretty closely by Firefox, then not so closely by Chrome, but I digress). Many of those are/were told to upgrade to newer versions of IE or switch to other browsers by Roland, IIRC.

Sometimes, the browser is in fact objectively better. Sometimes people don't notice the problems and don't care. That's alright too, but they're not the people making threads in Board Issues about things their browser is doing to the site.

Also, what Tsofu and KK said.

Rawhide
2011-07-01, 08:57 PM
Well, apparently Zeb The Troll see it as downright rude and non-constructive.

The simple words of "Use Firefox." is downright rude, confrontational and non-constructive, especially as the user has asked if it is possible to fix it in IE9, not how to find a browser that does not do that.

It doesn't answer the question, adds absolutely nothing to the conversation and doesn't help the original poster.

Elder Tsofu
2011-07-02, 02:18 AM
Thanks for increasing the validity of my statement Rawhide. You hadn't needed to go to the trouble you know. :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-02, 10:59 AM
Assuming it's possible, one should switch out from IE8 and below. I don't know much about IE9, but the previous versions (especially IE6 and below) simply don't implement some of the stuff used here properly or at all.The suggestion wasn't "upgrade your browser". It was "change to one that's not IE". IE7/8/9 have all displayed this website exactly as intended. Showing a popup warning you that a script is trying to run from this website is not "broken" it's "as intended to protect you from potential harm". Asking if there's a setting to always allow GitP to run scripts is not asking for advice on a new browser.

For that, try going to the gear in the upper right hand corner, go to Internet Options, click on the Security tab, click on the Trusted Sites icon, click on the Sites button, type http://www.giantitp.com in the box and click Add, click Close and then Okay.

To my knowledge, there is no way to change the keyboard commands associated with the browser, so you'll have to either start typing the [b] code or using the button at the top of the reply window.

Siosilvar
2011-07-02, 11:14 AM
For that, try going to the gear in the upper right hand corner, go to Internet Options, click on the Security tab, click on the Trusted Sites icon, click on the Sites button, type http://www.giantitp.com in the box and click Add, click Close and then Okay.

Great! Question's answered now. Thread lock? :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-07-03, 12:36 AM
To my knowledge, there is no way to change the keyboard commands associated with the browser, so you'll have to either start typing the [b] code or using the button at the top of the reply window.

This here is a perfect example of how to answer the question when, to your knowledge, it cannot be changed in the current browser or OS.

EDIT: If Rawhide needs an example of one of those posts that posts but doesn't show up...this post is one of them. At 8:24 PST, when I posted this, I got a DNS error. Whenever I get one of these errors, the post always gets posted, but doesn't "bump" to the top of the page and the last poster note doesn't update to me. I know the workarounds and all that, just thought you'd like some data. I dunno if you can tell exactly what was going on when I posted this, but yea...here it is. I probably shoulda screen-shotted the error, but I will try to again if I get it. Thank you!

Are you absolutely certain it was a DNS error? DNS is not handled on this server nor should the error occur this way. Are you sure you're not thinking of a different error message?

SMEE
2011-07-03, 07:53 AM
If you set it to show Giantitp.com in compatibility mode, the ctrl+B shortcut will work again for inserting the bold tag.

Keld Denar
2011-07-07, 10:29 AM
Are you absolutely certain it was a DNS error? DNS is not handled on this server nor should the error occur this way. Are you sure you're not thinking of a different error message?
Well, it timed out (time out screen), and then automatically went to a DNS error screen. I dunno enough about what the heck I'm talking about to tell you for certain, just mentioning that at that time, I got the one error that everyone keeps talking about where the post posts, but doesn't show up unless you hit reply, and doesn't update on the main forum board. Damn it Rawhide, I'm an engineer, not a web developer!

If you set it to show Giantitp.com in compatibility mode, the ctrl+B shortcut will work again for inserting the bold tag.

SMEE, you are truely a wonderfully amazing human being in every possible way. My keyboard shortcuts thank you in the most keystroke efficient manner.

Rawhide
2011-07-07, 07:59 PM
Well, it timed out (time out screen), and then automatically went to a DNS error screen. I dunno enough about what the heck I'm talking about to tell you for certain, just mentioning that at that time, I got the one error that everyone keeps talking about where the post posts, but doesn't show up unless you hit reply, and doesn't update on the main forum board. Damn it Rawhide, I'm an engineer, not a web developer!

I ask because those are usually 500 series errors.

skywalker
2011-07-08, 12:56 AM

I recommend going to Redmond (you're local at least part of the year, right?) and slapping around somebody at Microsoft for using one of the most commonly used and entrenched keyboard shortcuts for something new. Not to hate on the 'soft, I love the 'soft... But WTF?!

Zherog
2011-07-08, 09:42 AM
I recommend going to Redmond (you're local at least part of the year, right?) and slapping around somebody at Microsoft for using one of the most commonly used and entrenched keyboard shortcuts for something new. Not to hate on the 'soft, I love the 'soft... But WTF?!

It's not just their IE team that did this, either. In Outlook 2007, control-F does something other than search. Drives me bonkers...