PDA

View Full Version : Psychic warrior charger

NullShadow
2011-06-30, 06:22 PM
Hi guys. I am at a bit of an impasse here, I am building a character for a level 9 campaign and here is what i have so far I know I will be making a charger but I am drawing a blank on exactly how I want to go about it. Any suggestions? I am hoping to make either a lance charger or a drunken master-esque charger. So any input would be helpful

Cog
2011-06-30, 06:33 PM
A lance might be tricky on a PsyWar base - most of their good mobility powers are self-only, so you'd leave even something like a Wild Cohort behind. Of note, centaurs get the ability to double-damage with a mount just like riders do; it's not listed as a special ability, so presumably it's a result of their form - you might see if your DM thinks that means it should apply to something like a bariaur too.

Otherwise, the movement granted by powers like Dimension Hop, Hustle, and Psionic Lion's Pounce can handle the mobility of a drunken master; the Tashalatora feat can handle the other monklike abilities of that class easily.

Edit: Bonus points for playing a refluffed Buomman. You haven't taken a vow to remain nonverbal; you're just so drunk off your back end all the time that nobody can understand you.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-30, 06:41 PM
Well, that didn't take you long at all to start a thread for this. :smallbiggrin: Here's a build to get you started:

Race: Some type of Orc

Class: Psychic Warrior 9

Feats:
1st- Power Attack
PsyWar1- Improved Sunder
PsyWar2- Mounted Combat
3rd- Improved Bull Rush
PsyWar4- Ride-By-Attack
6th- Headlong Rush
PsyWar6- Spirited Charge
PsyWar8- Combat Brute
9th- Shock Trooper

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-30, 06:46 PM
I would suggest getting access to Metamorphosis (Expanded Knowledge or Power Researching) and share it with your pet rock psi-crystal

Keld Denar
2011-06-30, 06:46 PM
Take the Mantled Warrior ACF from the Mind's Eye web enhancement for the Natural World mantle (CPsi). This puts Metamorphosis on your class list. Now take Psicrystal Affinity and manifest Metamorph on your pet rock to turn it into a suitable mount. Now you can share your buffs and spells with it like Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge or Offensive Precognition.

NullShadow
2011-06-30, 06:55 PM
Take the Mantled Warrior ACF from the Mind's Eye web enhancement for the Natural World mantle (CPsi). This puts Metamorphosis on your class list. Now take Psicrystal Affinity and manifest Metamorph on your pet rock to turn it into a suitable mount. Now you can share your buffs and spells with it like Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge or Offensive Precognition.

Now thats a cool idea
i was thinking of going centuar...
wait do centuar's count as mounted for the purpose of lance damage and spirited charge?

Psyren
2011-06-30, 06:56 PM
A lance might be tricky on a PsyWar base - most of their good mobility powers are self-only, so you'd leave even something like a Wild Cohort behind.

Not a problem at all; all personal-range powers can be shared with your psicrystal. Metamorph it into something you can ride and port around the battlefield as-needed.

I agree with Mantled Warrior, but not for Natural World. The granted power is horrible and the other powers in the mantle are lackluster.

Instead, grab something like Time or Guardian, and access Metamorph from Natural World via the Tap Mantle feat. You'll still get it earlier than with Expanded Knowledge, but your full mantle will have a much better granted power that will actually be worth the feat expenditures.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-30, 07:02 PM
Now thats a cool idea
i was thinking of going centuar...
wait do centuar's count as mounted for the purpose of lance damage and spirited charge?

They do, but don't go centaur, use a Bariaur (Planar Handbook version). They are basically like centaurs with goats, except they are 1 LA, and have Spell Resistance.

Cog
2011-06-30, 07:20 PM
I'm surprised how willing people are to recommend going out of the way to grab Metamorphosis when Polymorph is so often admitted to being pretty cheap.

As for the Psicrystal, there's the niggling matter of Affinity's wording not actually counting HD other than Psion and Wilder. Easily houseruled, of course, but it still needs to be pointed out, as it's not the OP's decision to make.

Lateral
2011-06-30, 07:24 PM
Doesn't actually matter, though, since at 9th level you can only learn up to 3rd level powers.

Keld Denar
2011-06-30, 07:27 PM
Metamorph is cheap if you use it for really cheezy monsters like War Trolls or Hydras or Shadow Dragons, etc. If you just use it to turn your pet rock into a dope convertable with 17" spinners and a two-tone paint job that you can mount a lance on...well, that's perfectly acceptable in my book.

Psyren
2011-06-30, 07:40 PM
Doesn't actually matter, though, since at 9th level you can only learn up to 3rd level powers.

Nonsense, of course it matters. He gets Metamorphosis at his very next level, assuming he takes our advice re: Mantled Warrior. Until then, he can ride an Astral Construct or a mundane mount, and hold off on the teleportation stuff.

NullShadow
2011-06-30, 07:46 PM
Well, that didn't take you long at all to start a thread for this. :smallbiggrin: Here's a build to get you started:

Feats:
1st- Power Attack
PsyWar1- Improved Sunder
PsyWar2- Mounted Combat
3rd- Improved Bull Rush
PsyWar4- Ride-By-Attack
6th- Headlong Rush
PsyWar6- Spirited Charge
PsyWar8- Combat Brute
9th- Shock Trooper

Just asking, why improved sunder?
Edit: and where is headlong rush from?

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-30, 07:50 PM

To qualify for Combat Brute.

Urpriest
2011-06-30, 07:51 PM

For Combat Brute.

Lateral
2011-06-30, 07:54 PM

Feats:
1st- Power Attack
PsyWar1- Improved Sunder
PsyWar2- Mounted Combat
3rd- Improved Bull Rush
PsyWar4- Ride-By-Attack
6th- Headlong Rush
PsyWar6- Spirited Charge
PsyWar8- Combat Brute
9th- Shock Trooper

Psychic Warriors get feats at 1st and every three levels after 2nd, you should only have four bonus feats.