PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Arcane Order and Swiftblade?

Tvtyrant
2011-06-30, 10:20 PM
Looking over the reqs of Swiftblade I realized you could use a Sword of the Arcane Order to qualify by level 8, which means you can get a full BaB class into it. You won't get you high level spells but it will get you a limited time stop as a Ranger, and make its abilities worth more.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Cog
2011-06-30, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't say that Ranger is an "arcane spellcasting class" even with Sword of the Arcane Order - you can cast arcane spells out of those slots, but that's a feat-granted ability, and the class itself is still divine. Even Mystic Rangers don't get 6th-level slots to use on Innervated Speed, either. Other than that...

Tvtyrant
2011-06-30, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't say that Ranger is an "arcane spellcasting class" even with Sword of the Arcane Order - you can cast arcane spells out of those slots, but that's a feat-granted ability, and the class itself is still divine. Even Mystic Rangers don't get 6th-level slots to use on Innervated Speed, either. Other than that...

People take the tenth level of it? :P I see your point, but the SotAO tends to run out of steam around the entry point anyways.

Cog
2011-06-30, 10:36 PM
...Well, that's the ability that functions like Time Stop. Did you mean Perpetual Options instead? That's usually called 3.0 Haste.

Edit: Constructive additions! The only way I can see to get a full-BAB entry would be to put Arcane Disciple (Time) on a Hexblade. Alternatively, you can get effectively full BAB with Necromantic Bloodline, Kin Mastery, and Frenzied Hunt, but that's a really awkward, scattered expenditure of resources for little benefit.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-30, 10:38 PM
...Well, that's the ability that functions like Time Stop. Did you mean Perpetual Options instead? That's usually called 3.0 Haste.

Woops :smallredface: Yes, yes I did.

Edit: Just imagined a Factotum/Swiftblade/Chameleon.

tonberrian
2011-06-30, 10:48 PM

Edit: Constructive additions! The only way I can see to get a full-BAB entry would be to put Arcane Disciple (Time) on a Hexblade. Alternatively, you can get effectively full BAB with Necromantic Bloodline, Kin Mastery, and Frenzied Hunt, but that's a really awkward, scattered expenditure of resources for little benefit.

No, Swiftblade just requires that you can cast Haste. It doesn't need to be arcane to access the class.

PollyOliver
2011-06-30, 10:59 PM
No, Swiftblade just requires that you can cast Haste. It doesn't need to be arcane to access the class.

Yeah, but it only advances arcane spellcasting.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-30, 11:11 PM
By RAW you can't advance Ranger casting with Swiftblade; but I think it isn't an unreasonable request/houserule to allow it.

tonberrian
2011-06-30, 11:13 PM
Yeah, but it only advances arcane spellcasting.

So? Ranger spellcasting is lackluster. Losing it isn't such a problem, especially for Swiftblade goodness.

Now, you are going to want to find some way to cast more spells per day, though.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-30, 11:40 PM
Hmmm, what about Wu Jen for a base? It gets a lot of melee gish type spells.

Coidzor
2011-07-01, 01:16 AM
Hmmm, what about Wu Jen for a base? It gets a lot of melee gish type spells.

As a Wu Jen, your best bet when gishing is to also get some abilities that you can use that don't involve spellcasting so that body outside body will work out well for you. So I can't recall how well Swiftblade satisfies that when interacting with body outside body and previously cast spells and haste and all that jazz.

gorfnab
2011-07-01, 01:37 PM
If you want to go with Ranger with the SotAO feat and are worried about the spellcasting just use the Mystic Ranger variant from Dragon #336. That will get 5th levels spells fairly easily especially if you go Mystic Ranger 10/ Swiftblade 10.

Cog
2011-07-01, 01:47 PM
If you want to go with Ranger with the SotAO feat and are worried about the spellcasting just use the Mystic Ranger variant from Dragon #336. That will get 5th levels spells fairly easily especially if you go Mystic Ranger 10/ Swiftblade 10.
Mystic Ranger has already been discussed. It still doesn't help, as Swiftblade only progresses arcane casting classes, which Ranger isn't.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-01, 02:02 PM
Dusk Blade 9 with Arcane Disciple to get Haste and.... probably Extra Spell to gain Haste as a non-domain spell known (and get around the 1/day limit) could qualify for Swiftblade with full BAB.

A (Spellhoarding, Venerable) Dragonwrought (Desert) Kobold Loredrake could go (Stalwart) Battle Sorcerer 4/ Swiftblade 9/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Dragon Slayer 1/ Spellsword 1 and have a +19 BAB and 20th level spellcasting (with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage) at level 20.

Lateral
2011-07-01, 09:25 PM
A (Spellhoarding, Venerable) Dragonwrought (Desert) Kobold Loredrake could go (Stalwart) Battle Sorcerer 4/ Swiftblade 9/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Dragon Slayer 1/ Spellsword 1 and have a +19 BAB and 20th level spellcasting (with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage) at level 20.

And you're a True Dragon who slays dragons. My brain hurts.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-01, 09:29 PM
And you're a True Dragon who slays dragons. My brain hurts.

Easy, when you were a tiny wyrmling you went to a true dragons gathering, and all the other wyrmlings mocked you, saying you were "just" a Kobold. So you became angry with the other dragons, soon that anger become hatred, and you swore to slay all the other dragons
:smallbiggrin: