PDA

View Full Version : Hellgate: Global open beta

Ogremindes
2011-07-01, 01:20 AM
Well, Hellgate: Global has finally become available to the english speaking world. I know at least one other person on this board liked HG:L, so I thought I'd bring it up.

I haven't played it long, but Global doesn't seem as polished as HG:L. Any new writing has a serious case of engrish, the HUD is way to big and low-res and the 'Demon Occupation' mechanic seems like it'll get old fast on the larger maps.

That said, it's still basically the same game and for all the mismanagement of launches and subscriptions, Flagship certainly knew how to make a diablo-like.

I'll be playing it some more, even though I've almost been killed by lag a couple of times (Felbores apparently now spawn in groups of like, 10 or more. That plus lag is not a good time. Good thing I chose incendiary grenades!)

Bouregard
2011-07-01, 10:32 AM
Well, Hellgate: Global has finally become available to the english speaking world. I know at least one other person on this board liked HG:L, so I thought I'd bring it up.

I haven't played it long, but Global doesn't seem as polished as HG:L. Any new writing has a serious case of engrish, the HUD is way to big and low-res and the 'Demon Occupation' mechanic seems like it'll get old fast on the larger maps.

That said, it's still basically the same game and for all the mismanagement of launches and subscriptions, Flagship certainly knew how to make a diablo-like.

I'll be playing it some more, even though I've almost been killed by lag a couple of times (Felbores apparently now spawn in groups of like, 10 or more. That plus lag is not a good time. Good thing I chose incendiary grenades!)

I played Hellgate: London for a while... and I still think it was the worst game i ever bought... what will Hellgate: Global change? Do they still rely on heavily instanced gameplay with a few (also instanced) hubs?

Domochevsky
2011-07-01, 01:31 PM
Open beta, hm? Any links to that? :smallconfused:

Ogremindes
2011-07-01, 05:06 PM
I played Hellgate: London for a while... and I still think it was the worst game i ever bought... what will Hellgate: Global change? Do they still rely on heavily instanced gameplay with a few (also instanced) hubs?
Yep, unless you're partied you'll never see another player outside of the hubs. I suppose if you were expecting something more along the lines of an MMORPG or shooter you'd have been disappointed. It's a Diablo type game, and nothing else despite the trappings of other genres.

Open beta, hm? Any links to that? :smallconfused:
http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Data/Download.aspx

Also, I was right, 'Demon Occupation' (I guess the meaning was lost in the translation) has gotten old really fast. The mechanic is simply summoning a big beastie once you kill a set quota (25, I think) of demons. This can happen multiple times in a level, and seems to happen regardless of what else is around, such as mini-bosses, for example. Having one show up just when I was engaging Bag of Bones as a Marksman wasn't so great. Also everything respawns. Fast. Had to kill Bag of Bones again because I kited so far back the first time.

Lag was an issue of server crowding, as I could play just fine later on. I suspect it will even out after the initial rush of the opening dissipates.

Cheesegear
2011-07-01, 06:48 PM
Well, Hellgate: Global has finally become available to the english speaking world.

Hooray!

Global doesn't seem as polished as HG:L.

The Beta looks unpolished? ...Fascinating.

Yep, unless you're partied you'll never see another player outside of the hubs.

I don't know if that's good or bad. But I've been told that there'll be Single Player. So I'm happy.

Domochevsky
2011-07-01, 08:09 PM
So... is there a special reason the downloader can't be minimized and stays on top at all times? For 6GB at medium speeds this is quite a oversight. Do they expect me to look at it the entire time? :smallconfused:

Ogremindes
2011-07-01, 08:18 PM
So... is there a special reason the downloader can't be minimized and stays on top at all times? For 6GB at medium speeds this is quite a oversight. Do they expect me to look at it the entire time? :smallconfused:

Uh, I don't think that happened to me...

Domochevsky
2011-07-01, 08:28 PM
So now i closed the downloader and retried. Still stays on absolute top with no minimize option. It also has apparently forgotten that it already downloaded part 1.

Good start. :smallsigh:

Ogremindes
2011-07-01, 08:33 PM
So now i closed the downloader and retried. Still stays on absolute top with no minimize option. It also has apparently forgotten that it already downloaded part 1.

Good start. :smallsigh:

Just checked and yeah, the downloader does do that to me. I didn't notice because my monitor is just that huge. Fortunately you can drag it most of the way off the screen.

Cheesegear
2011-07-02, 06:13 AM
So, been playing for a couple of hours now.

It's...Well, it's Hellgate: London. Didn't I already play this game like...For a long, long time? I did, didn't I?

I'm bored. Mostly because the early levels are mainly single-player anyway. And, as a Single Player, and, Guardian being one of the slower levelling classes...Yeah.

About the only thing different from what I can remember (which is most of it), the only thing different is summoning boss-monsters after 20-30 kills (depending on instance). It's inconvenient at times, but its free loot. So its really not that bad.

From what I can tell, the game goes all the way up to the end of Act II (if you've played the original HG:L), then you have to pay a couple of bucks (I don't believe it was that expensive...) to enter into Act III.

Also, I found my Cricket Bat early. So I'm pleased.

Ogremindes
2011-07-02, 08:06 AM
Huh. Lucious Alden isn't barking mad and 314 isn't a hopeless wreck.

And the boss summoning really sucks when you have to kite, because of the respawn rate.

Kesnit
2011-07-02, 12:28 PM
If I still have HG:L on my computer, do I have to DL all the new files? (Hey, I liked HG:L, until I hit a bug that made it impossible to finish.)

Eliirae
2011-07-02, 12:42 PM
Yeah, you can play up until the end of act 2 for free, then you have to shell out $4 if you want to continue past that.

The GMs have confirmed that the ticket you need includes everything released so far. That means the remaining acts, stonehenge, the abyss, and the second attack (whatever that is)

Domochevsky
2011-07-02, 01:05 PM
...wait what? Pay for the rest of the content in the open beta? :smallconfused:

Eliirae
2011-07-02, 01:39 PM
...wait what? Pay for the rest of the content in the open beta? :smallconfused:

Welcome to F2P MMOs, where to the company Open beta is the same thing as final release no matter how buggy or unplayable it is.