PDA

View Full Version : Q's on a Lich and Her Stuff

Gorfang113
2011-07-01, 07:52 AM
Right, so the current villian of the adventure my PC's are in is a lich. Her phylactery is the diamond on her wedding ring. Part of her backstory is that she wears it, always (even when in disguise). However, i have two other magic rings i wish to give her (Wizardry and Protection). Would the phylactery count as a magic ring for purposes of the two ring limit? (it is just a phylactery with an arcane mark always on it in case of theft). Also, what else should i give her? She is an 18th level Sorcerer and I gave her money for a 20th level character. And finaly, am I right in thinking that she would be CR 20 and ECL 22? Thanks in advance:smallbiggrin:

Darcand
2011-07-01, 07:56 AM
You're the GM, if you want her to be able to wear 3 magic rings then of course she can.

Unseenmal
2011-07-01, 07:58 AM
I'm not so good with the ratings but as far as the rings, you can do something that I enjoy adding....toe rings. This gives the characters 4 rings they can wear instead of the 2. I usually reserve this for low PC # games like if there are only 2-3 PC's because otherwise, it can get out of hand quickly. But you can also do what I do...Don't tell them they can wear toe rings, let it be a surprise. They find a ring and it won't quite fit their fingers properly. I've had PC's sell 3-4 rings like that before someone had the inspiration to ask if it would fit on their toes or ears and I allow a spellcraft check or straight int check to sort it out.

WinWin
2011-07-01, 08:00 AM
CR and ECL are correct. You can technically provide level 22 gear for that character, but keeping treasure & rewards considerations in play probably drops the available total.

Phylacteries are technically Wonderous Items as they require that feat to create. It is a fair interpretation to regard them as 'slotless' items, even if they take the form of a ring or amulet. Now if the phylacterty was a suit of armour or a weapon...

Diarmuid
2011-07-01, 08:01 AM
If the phylactery isnt providing any magical bonuses I dont see why it would count towards the magic ring limit.

Kefkafreak
2011-07-01, 08:11 AM
There's also an epic feat that allows you to increase the limit on wearable magic items.

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-01, 08:48 AM
isn;t there a moster feat somewhere or something that lets you redrestibute slots from one type to another for monsters with strage bodies. You could use those rules for rearageing slots.

Also you could make a custom item into a difrent slot, like a ring into a pair of gloves or necklase to free up a slot. I think there is a necklace that grants a ring slot as well, but it is a hand on a rope, not very lady like.

Quietus
2011-07-01, 09:55 AM
If the phylactery isnt providing any magical bonuses I dont see why it would count towards the magic ring limit.

Exactly this. Is the phylactery anything more than a soul jar, and would it give her extra powers? Then you need to bypass the ring limit. If it's just a place for her to live when she dies, then it's ornamental and wouldn't stop her from wearing a ring of resistance and a ring of invisibility, for example.

Forbiddenwar
2011-07-01, 11:30 AM
Can't you just make her ring of protection her phylactery? It would increase the difficulty of destroying it, and all Lichs know that adventures keep the best stuff (allowing for another round of combat and a chance at vengeance when they are unprepared)

BlueInc
2011-07-01, 01:09 PM
Can't you just make her ring of protection her phylactery? It would increase the difficulty of destroying it, and all Lichs know that adventures keep the best stuff (allowing for another round of combat and a chance at vengeance when they are unprepared)

This one. The PCs wander around trying to find her phylactery when they're wearing it the whole time. It'd be like if Frodo didn't know that his dear old Bilbo's trinket was the One Ring.

Darcand
2011-07-01, 04:02 PM

Heck yes! The only problem I see with this is she's meant as the final boss fight at the end of the campaign (I'm betting) and I don't know that the OP has any desire to see further adventures.

Alefiend
2011-07-01, 06:28 PM
The ideas that have already been presented are probably the best ways to deal with the OP. But there's another easy answer, if you can answer this question:

Does the lich have anything in her amulet slot? If not, give her a Hand of Glory (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Hand_of_Glory) and you're done. Feel free to add extra enchantments to it so it doesn't look like a CL5 solution to your CL20 problem.

blazingshadow
2011-07-01, 06:53 PM
can the extra rings feat from eberron be taken by anyone or is it an artificer only feat?