PDA

View Full Version : Bypass Mind-Affecting? (Psion)

DragonOfUndeath
2011-07-01, 09:02 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin.
Is there a way to affect Mindless (or Immunity: Mind-Affecting) creatures with Psionic Powers?

Thanks in advance Playgrounders

EDIT: Doesn't matter the cost of the item or minimum level requirement as long as it's Pre-Epic.

Cog
2011-07-01, 09:06 AM
Sure!

Use powers that don't have the [mind-affecting] tag. Even as a telepath, it should be easy to snag a good few standbys.

Elric VIII
2011-07-01, 09:11 AM
Ask your Cleric/Druid/Wizard buddy to cast Awaken Undead/Awaken/Awaken Construct on the creature.

subject42
2011-07-01, 09:11 AM
What about using [mind-affecting] abilities on things that are normally immune to it?

I know that with Vancian casting you can use stuff like the Dread Witch to mitigate the issue, but I don't know of any equivalent for psionics.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-07-01, 09:24 AM
I want to enslave a populace and keep them in abject fear. I need to enslave some and use Microcosm on the rest.
Some will be Immune to Mind-Affecting and I'm thinking of turning all the carers into Wights.
I need a way of enslaving them to my will without having a limit on the amount I can control.

Awaken doesn't work if they have Immunity: Mind-Affecting from another source than low Int.

Urpriest
2011-07-01, 09:31 AM
Well for the undead there's Stygian Dominion, though that's of limited utility in this situation.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-07-01, 09:52 AM
That takes control of the body manually. I can't adventure and be an Undead carer.
Though it does seem like a good utility for infiltration.

Urpriest
2011-07-01, 09:54 AM
That takes control of the body manually. I can't adventure and be an Undead carer.
Though it does seem like a good utility for infiltration.

What do you mean by carer in this context, by the way?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-07-01, 10:01 AM
Microcosm victims need people to keep them alive.
I need people to care for the beings trapped in the Microcosms.

Also: Is it possible to create multiple Microcosms and join them?
If I have 2 groups of 100 people, can I manifest Microcosm on them to create 1 Microcosm 200 people are linked too?

Cog
2011-07-01, 10:11 AM
Any one manifestation of Microcosm creates a single false reality for all included creatures, and there's in fact no option to not do that.

If you're talking about joining groups already under the effect of a Microcosm, then no. Manifesting the power on them again frees them from the effect.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-07-01, 10:48 AM
If you're talking about joining groups already under the effect of a Microcosm, then no. Manifesting the power on them again frees them from the effect.

Yes that's what I meant.

I take it there isn't a Feat that let's you bypass Mind-Affecting Immunity.