PDA

View Full Version : Help with a wizard hunting cleric

veven
2011-07-01, 01:41 PM
Incoming minor wall of text

I am making a cleric for an two or three person game in which arcane magic is illegal. The party is a Warblade/Witch Hunter, Psychic Rogue, and Me, a cleric.

I want to pick up a bunch of immunity and save assisting abilities and pretty much any other abilities that would help fight arcane casters. I want to avoid DMM cheese because I've done it before and I'm already going to be using my turning attempts to fuel divine defiance (delicious immediate action dispels!)

The build so far is (not in any particular order, I haven't completely organized the optimal order yet) Lawful Good Cloistered Cleric of Wee Jas (iffy, I know) 3(planing/magic/knowledge domains)/Church Inquisitor 5(inquisition domain)/Contemplative 2 (trade domain for Law Devotion)/Pious Templar 1/Prestige Paladin 3.

So far I'm immune to charms, compulsions, and fear, I get free saves vs illusions, Slippery Mind, Meddle, Evasion (from a ring), Wis to all saves (taking serenity). I'll have pretty good will and fort saves due to multiclassing but reflex is gonna suck (every character needs a flaw i guess).

Feats I'm taking for sure are Weapon focus: Dagger, True Believer, Mounted Combat (PRC prereqs....it hurts my soul) I've got extend spell from the planning domain. I'm taking divine defiance because I'll be counterspelling a lot. Taking serenity to make my paladin abilities WIS based. Probably practiced spellcaster to make up for the 2 lost caster levels, I may take improved counterspelling incase I run out of dispel magics. I'll be taking two flaws (non-combatant and murky-eyed) and will be a human.

As it stands I've got six levels to fill and like 4 feat slots to fill. I don't know much about optimization but I want all these abilities so I don't want to change the build too much but if you find something better I'm willing to. I only have 1 more caster level to spare before I loose 9th level spells, which I don't want to do. What classes/feats/spells aid in protection against standard wizard tricks? I'll have deathward up on the party pretty much all the time once I get it.

Edit: Slippery mind is not doing much for me is it? I just read through it and I am already immune to every core enchantment spell in the wizard list. Are there any enchantment spells that are not either compulsions or charms? Contemplative is still worth it since it's easy to get into and I get a free domain but I'm questioning the 2nd level.

Kaeso
2011-07-01, 04:33 PM
You said your cleric is a worshipper of Wee Jas, but can you get your DM to allow you to take the feat cheater of Mystra regardless? Being able to cast inside an antimagic field is a major boon for a wizard hunter.

Actually, even without it antimagic field is a great advantage over a wizard: inside one the mighty wizard is but a commoner, while your cleric is still a heavy armor wearing warrior with a decent BAB. You, unlike a wizard, can actually afford casting it.