PDA

View Full Version : PEACH My Battlefield Control Debuffer

Hunter Killer
2011-07-01, 11:59 PM
Hello, ladies and gents. I've been lurking around these parts for the better part of the last six months and reading your wonderful optimization threads. There's some magnificently devious minds here on the Playground! :smallbiggrin:

The reason I've decided to join up and post now, O' Great Ones, is that I'm in somewhat of a pickle regarding a DMPC that I want to introduce to one of my current campaigns, and I was hoping I could get some advice.

I'm basically attempting to build someone who can debuff and provide a decent amount of battlefield control without stealing the limelight from the the main PC's too much.

So... Here's the build I've been kicking around for a while:

Race and Statistics:
Human w/STR 16, DEX 16, CON 10, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 16

Classes:
Hexblade 7 / Paladin of Tyranny 4 / Knight 4 / Avenging Executioner 5. Progression on this would probably be something like:

1 Hexblade
2 - 5 Paladin (Stat to INT)
6-7 Knight
8-9 Hexblade (Stat to CHA)
10-11 Knight
12-13 Hexblade (Stat to CHA)
14-18 Avenging Executioner (Stat to CHA)
19-20 Hexblade (Stat to CHA)

As a Paladin, he will be taking the Holy Champion alternate class feature instead of gaining spells.

As a Hexblade, he will be taking the Dark Companion alternate class feature instead of the familiar.

Skills:
Not really important, except maybe that he will max his Intimidate and get at least 5 ranks in Bluff for the Synergy Bonus. I may need the most help here, because Skill Tricks are something I know nothing about.

Flaws:
Code of Arms (-4 to attacks against opponents without weapons).
Brash (-6 to AC against Attacks of Oppertunity).

Feats:
1st - Aberrant Blood (Flaw), Inhuman Reach (Flaw), Dreadful Wrath (Bonus), and Stand Still (Level)
3rd - Combat Reflexes (Level)
5th - Divine Shield (Bonus)
6th - Hold the Line (Level)
9th - Mage Slayer (Level)
12th - Power Attack (Level)
15th - Combat Expertise (Level)
18th - Improved Trip (Level)

Equipment:
The character will begin play with a Guisarme, Buckler, and a Spiked Breast Plate (ECL at this point is 2).

He's probably going to stick with the same with the same weapon and shield, although he's going to buy Master Work versions and enchant them. Armor will probably eventually be Spiked Mithril Full-Plate.

Explanation:
The idea here isn't to get the maximum use out of each ability, but rather to slightly affect the flow and outcome of combat in the group's favor (So I can make the combats bigger; My PC's like huge battles).

The guy is designed to provide a wide front line that's extremely hard to charge or move through. He's also supposed to get certain players out of trouble by using stacking debuffs so they can get in killing blows or he can take the heat off by using Test of Mettle.

I understand that it's not ideal to have low levels in the Hexblade and Knight due to the lowered DC's, but I figured keeping them lower would work towards the goal of leaving most of the limelight to the PC's. Plus, the debuffs help negate that particular drawback somewhat...

Guisarme is, of course, for the increased threatened area and the spikes are for threatening adjacent squares. The shield is simply so the Knight's increased shield AC ability isn't wasted (and it also allows me to add CHA onto the AC via Divine Shield).

Thoughts?

ffone
2011-07-02, 12:42 AM
Fooey, your title tricked me into thinking the character was based on Princess Beach from the Mario franchise. The image of her as a BC/D spellcaster was funny.

Hunter Killer
2011-07-02, 12:58 AM
Sorry about that... It is suppose to mean Please Examine and Critique Honestly. It's a holdover form my lurking / minimal posting on Wizards CharOp and Homebrew boards. Thanks for the look, though!

ffone
2011-07-02, 01:00 AM
lol. It's refreshing to see acronyms other than those overused at the Playground, like YMMV and tl;dr.

Eldariel
2011-07-02, 01:46 AM
lol. It's refreshing to see acronyms other than those overused at the Playground, like YMMV and tl;dr.

You must not read the Homebrew-forum very much :smalltongue:

Octopus Jack
2011-07-02, 02:55 AM
Never outnumbered is a good skill trick for intimidate as it allows you to demorilise in an area rather than a single target. For feats Imperious Command from Drow of the Underdark allows you to make a demorilised target cower for a round before being shaken which means any armed opponents drop all their equipment. Combine this with things like Fearsome armour and you can get a quite nasty intimidate check.

Hunter Killer
2011-07-02, 08:18 AM
Thanks for telling about Never Out Numbered, Jack. I'll take a look into that one, because it sounds like something this guy will need.

I don't think I'm going to take Imperious Command; The flaw that makes him take -4 against unarmed opponents makes it less than desirable.

Fearsome armor is a good idea. I'll have to take a look into that at later levels. He does have access to lots of enchanters...

Lateral
2011-07-02, 08:22 AM
I don't think I'm going to take Imperious Command; The flaw that makes him take -4 against unarmed opponents makes it less than desirable.

So take a different flaw; Shaky is a gimme here.

Hunter Killer
2011-07-02, 08:33 AM
I'd considered that, but I wanted the character's flaws to fit his fluff. The character is coordinated and precise. His strikes are clean and his handshakes are firm! :smallbiggrin:

Like I stated before, this is not supposed to be the most optimized character in the world, so missing a feat or two that would otherwise be useful is not a big deal. He's not suppose to steal limelight from PC's.

What I really wanted someone to do is take a look at the build and tell me if there's any glaring holes for a battlefield control build, and if they think it's either too effective or not effective enough?

Hunter Killer
2011-07-03, 03:48 PM
Any more thoughts or comments, ladies and gents?