PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for my new campain

DarthSkippy
2011-07-02, 01:23 AM
Latly i've been getting back into playing 3.5 with friends and i'm thinking of doing my first campain as DM but i want to make it as funny and weird as possible. I thought that the first pretty hard dungeon would be this wizard that takes over the large population of kobolds in the forest to use at his advantage and starts to combine randon dna from other monsters with them in order to turn them from a bunch of weaklings into his army of mutated freaks. I'm goin to have fun with this and I figured that the people here can help with some good mixes that aren't to high level

OracleofSilence
2011-07-02, 01:28 AM
tucker's kobolds. if you can find that...

lets just say that some CR 1 traps can make epic characters wish they had never been born.:smallbiggrin:

Undercroft
2011-07-02, 02:45 AM
Grafts would also help a bit.

Kobolds equipped with beholder eyestalk grafts (Fiend Folio) would be funny. Just say he implanted some beholder DNA on those ones. It gives some little spell-like abilities for your kobolds to toy with.

Another fun one is the long arm graft (i think). it basically allows the kobold an extra attack with that arm (as long as it isn;t holding anything), outside of it's normal turns per round. So you can do Move then Attack and the the arm gets an attack (sorta like the arm has a partail action of it's own).

Pika...
2011-07-02, 02:56 AM
Well, aside from the Kobolds perhaps you could have one of these in your forest:
http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/view_d.php?DragonID=12

Yes, it was originally printed in a Dragons Magazine.

Alabenson
2011-07-02, 04:08 PM
Personally, I'd start by digging out the tauric template from Savage Species and just go wild. Kobold/centipedes, kobold/spiders, kobold/scorpions, kobold/dire weasels, kobold/ponies...

You could also make use of the gelatinous template (kobold-shaped oozes), insectile template (insect kobolds), winged creature template (flying kobolds), and the half-troll template from the Fiend Folio.

Doktor Per
2011-07-02, 04:29 PM
The Island of Doctor Moreau! I've wanted to do a variation of this for ages.

A kobold version of the Ettin comes to mind, a terrible mistake. A Kobold Umberhulk, usually a hulking mass that will wreck your day, only this is a smaller cousin. (The Kobohulk) unite them with bears. Or go all out into Spider-man villain territory with a Koctobold or Will of the whisp with it's electric zapper, so you got this smaller floating kobold doing the same thing.

If you mix them up with Warthogs and Rhinos, you got yourself Kobold Beebop and Rocksteady. Also, think about Kobold Sharks. Or a bulette.

Dragonsoul
2011-07-02, 05:11 PM
Give them Shotguns
(2d8 damage, range 30ft, x2 multiplier) Then mount them on a fiendish T-Rex with rogue levels.

DarthSkippy
2011-07-02, 07:04 PM
I was thinking of giveing some natural wepons such as a crab claw or mabey a huge claw hand something like nightmare from soulcaliber. I have already made two that i like first is a swarm of tiny kobold and a large sized kobold hydra(so far my fav). the next ones im thinkin of doin are goin to be the kobold that has gaint dna in him so he looks like hes on steroids and some type of minotar kobold. I thank everyone for the're help and onece i finnish making all of them I will post all that i made and onece we play it i will post my groups reactions

Pika...
2011-07-03, 02:22 AM
Yes!

The Kobold fan I am is eager for your creations to put into my on games. Gimme! @_@

marcielle
2011-07-03, 01:14 PM
One thing you could do is when your characters expect to face the BBEG, instead of making it the wizard, have all the magic and stuff cause a kobold to mutate into a Drakobold and eat the wizard. Sudden changes in the food chain is always good for laughs.

Also, kobold/human hybrids could be the wizards personal servants.

Have a covered cage marked 'FAILURE'. Upon opening it the players find a kobold/kobold hybrid! You could make it a totally normal kobold or siamese twins.

The wizard is actually a kobold that was polymorphed years ago by a wizard just for the fun of it. He is actually trying to IMPROVE the kobolds lot by making them stronger.

That's all I got.

Pika...
2011-07-03, 03:36 PM
One thing you could do is when your characters expect to face the BBEG, instead of making it the wizard, have all the magic and stuff cause a kobold to mutate into a Drakobold and eat the wizard. Sudden changes in the food chain is always good for laughs.

Beat me to it. Thought the same thing.

Also, kobold/human hybrids could be the wizards personal servants.

Or his offspring....

marcielle
2011-07-04, 04:07 AM
Seeing as kobolds are sorta draconic and dragons can have offspring with ANYTHING, that is actually feasible.

Darcand
2011-07-04, 06:22 AM
-Explodebolds that burst when struck in combat.

-Size a few hundred down to diminuative and you have a kobold swarm.

-The Chimerabold. Heads of a Lion, Goat, and.....kobold?

-Gelatinous Kobold. Actually, that one's just a gelatinous cube with several kobold skeletons stuck in it. Failed experiment.

-Kobold Centipe....wait. Nevermind.

GodGoblin
2011-07-04, 10:45 AM
Try and get a copy of the Crystal Keep template list and just add the word Kobold to the end of each template :smallsmile:

DarthSkippy
2011-07-04, 11:02 AM
how bout a Kobold that has alchmist fire inbeded insided of it so when u kill it u have to make a reflex save to doge or u get hit by flaming kobold pices.

I was thinkin of having a big invading army of kobold mixes near the end of the campain because i figure someone finds the wizards work and continues his work. have catapults that shot exploding kobolds and have kobolds ride giant arrows into the castle

Metahuman1
2011-07-04, 11:12 AM
Have them all use weapon grafts of exotic or Select Martial weapons.

That Kobolt Ponytaur has four arms. Two of them have lance grafts, one a bow, and one produces long arrow shaped needles with poison.

And the Spidertaurs have the Drow of the underdark's version of a spiked chain on there arms. In fact, they have two of them connected to one another so that they get the TWF and the THW benefits at the same time.

The Kobolt with the 8 spider legs and the 10 Squid Tenticals grafted too it has 3 or 4 Gnomish Quickrazors Grafted too it. (Note: If you give this one Iaijutsufocus, make it a lower level character so that it has a penalty too hit, won't get the uber high damage per hit, and will not have enough BAB too get lot's of Iterative attacks. Otherwise this one goes form freaking scary encounter too TPK in a hurry.)

and so on.

marcielle
2011-07-04, 02:19 PM
...have catapults that shot exploding kobolds and have kobolds ride giant arrows into the castle

You mean sorta like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglnSrfJtyQ
But with more BOOM at the end?

Plot hook: Have some intelligent talking Kobolds with good grammar and very sophisticated accents. They are too intelligent to hang around but fear lightningy retribution from the wizard. So, they carefully manipulate the party into taking the wizard down for them, take the credit, and subsequently rule the remainder of the mutant kobolds. And monocles. You can't go wrong with monocles. Hell, give 'em TWO monocles.