PDA

View Full Version : Fox Fur... What?

Serpentine
2011-07-02, 02:54 AM
So one of my cousins goes fox hunting a lot, and has a massive pile of tanned fox skins that they never do anything with. I'm gonna grab some from him, but I'm lacking on ideas of what to do with them. So far I have two:

1. Bags and purses. Should be pretty easy, just fold it up and stitch it in place with thongs, maybe use the eyes as button holes.

2. A sort of fox-skin fox - fold it up to make a fox shape, as a door stop or a decoration or something. Could be complicated, gotta figure out how to cut it and put it in place and also how to stiffen the leather.

Any other ideas? Or any tips on leatherworking in general? I'm starting from absolutely nothing, here, so I don't really know what I'm doing...

littlebottom
2011-07-02, 10:27 PM
i dont really know anything about leatherworking, but you could make dicebags out of them?:smallconfused:

you could make a fox costume out of them?

you could make gloves out of them?

you could make hats out of them?

the possibilities are endless, im just throwing some general things incase something inspires you :smallredface::smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-07-02, 11:59 PM
you could make dicebags out of them?:smallconfused:Could be good for the scraps.

you could make a fox costume out of them?What, a full one?! :smalleek:

you could make gloves out of them?I'm not sure whether fox fur is soft and fine enough to be good for gloves, but I'll think about it.

you could make hats out of them?I was thinking that, but... could you get a nice hat out of a fox skin?

Elder Tsofu
2011-07-03, 12:40 AM
Well, a fox-hat could be quite nice - depending on what skin/fur you have. And your taste that is.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_meTSj0e4_iI/S3mf2sSnGrI/AAAAAAAABIY/m73za0CdUQE/s400/rävmössa.jpg
http://perlbal.hi-pi.com/blog-images/316959/gd/1262006644/Ravmossa.jpg
http://mswestin.blogg.se/images/2010/img_9898_118993072.jpg

An other option I've seen is to make a furry ball (probably from the tail) and put it on the top of a hat as an ornament.

Trixie
2011-07-03, 11:09 AM
Make a fursuit? :smallconfused:

People do make them out of crappy and inappropriate materials, so I guess there would be a market for 'natural' one?

Serpentine
2011-07-03, 11:31 AM
To quote myself:

you could make a fox costume out of them?What, a full one?! :smalleek:If I got enough practice to think it could come out well, and I had someone actually commission it from me for a veritable craptonne of monies, I would give it a shot. I would've thought furries'd be pretty anti-fur, though :smallconfused:

averagejoe
2011-07-03, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure whether fox fur is soft and fine enough to be good for gloves, but I'll think about it.

You should do mittens!

Asta Kask
2011-07-03, 03:59 PM
You should make a Raquel-Welch-style fur bikini just in case you ever want cosplay as a Neanderthal barbarianess. :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2011-07-03, 04:10 PM
I would've thought furries'd be pretty anti-fur, though :smallconfused:

...Wouldn't that be pretty ironic? :smallconfused:

Kris Strife
2011-07-03, 04:35 PM
Just as a tongue in cheek suggestion, you should make a Voltron style outfit of them. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-07-03, 10:41 PM
You should do mittens!See: don't think would be soft enough :smalltongue: Fox fur is much courser than, say, rabbit.
You should make a Raquel-Welch-style fur bikini just in case you ever want cosplay as a Neanderthal barbarianess. :smallbiggrin:I think I intended to do that for a play in primary school, once...

averagejoe
2011-07-03, 10:51 PM
See: don't think would be soft enough :smalltongue: Fox fur is much courser than, say, rabbit.

Ah, my mistake. I thought, "softness," was more a thing that would be an issue with making fingers. I'm not sure what people need, "Soft," gloves for. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-07-03, 11:54 PM
That too, but plain comfort's an issue too.

littlebottom
2011-07-04, 11:52 AM
To quote myself:If I got enough practice to think it could come out well, and I had someone actually commission it from me for a veritable craptonne of monies, I would give it a shot. I would've thought furries'd be pretty anti-fur, though :smallconfused:

eeiiiiw, i didnt think of... furries... when i suggested it, i was just thinking a fun costume.

SiuiS
2011-07-04, 07:25 PM
A shoulder mantle to put over a cloak. Simple, possibility of looking really good.

Serpentine
2011-07-04, 11:14 PM
I used to have a fox-fur stole I really liked, but I dunno what happened to it. I'd probably need to have a look at a pattern or something, though...

leakingpen
2011-07-10, 12:26 PM
thin strip bracelets, fur chokers, cell phone cases, also, you could make barbie and doll cloths, things traditionally made out of fur like robes and stoles.

GFawkes
2011-07-11, 05:01 PM
Use the leather to make character sheets:smallbiggrin:

leakingpen
2011-07-11, 05:19 PM
you wont get a big enough piece for that. That said, I could see vellum character sheets.

littlebottom
2011-07-11, 07:44 PM
make a world map of your in game setting (i am assuming you play roleplays) out of the leather, people wont mind if its stiched togeather out of several pieces, cus that just makes it look cooler.

Story Time
2011-07-11, 07:51 PM
Um...what about a pillow? Or a little fox toy? Like a stuffed animal?

What about slippers for warm feet? Or...um...arm warmers?

But let us know what you decide and how it turns out! :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-07-11, 10:51 PM
I didn't think of jewellery... could be something there, certainly.
I could try a pillow, but I'm not sure how many people would want to rest their head on a fox skin...

edit: I'm thinking foxskin choker, with a sterling silver fox pendant hanging at the front... Syka, want one?

Story Time
2011-07-13, 09:29 PM
edit: I'm thinking foxskin choker, with a sterling silver fox pendant hanging at the front... Syka, want one?

That sounds kind of neat if the person's colors or clothes match it! :smallsmile:

Icewalker
2011-07-27, 03:53 AM
Oooh. That's pretty fantastic, all of it. I'm quite interested myself, in fact...

Not sure what else you might be able to make that hasn't already been suggested...

Serpentine
2011-07-27, 04:39 AM
Tried nagging my cousin in hope that he would get it to me before the market this weekend so I can make something for it, but nothing yet :smallfrown:
Whatever I make, I'll put on my brand new etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Serpentine16?ref=si_shop) - at which I'm also selling all that dice jewellery I've been talking about for a while - in case anyone's interested in ordering something.

scienceguy8
2011-07-27, 05:45 PM
I've always wanted to try buying up some rabbit pelts and sewing them on the inside of a cheap hooded sweatshirt, like my favorite SIUC sweatshirt.