PDA

View Full Version : Pre-epic Innate Spell: is it worth the trouble?

ben-zayb
2011-07-02, 04:02 AM
I was thinking of making a skill monkey spellcaster, and decided giving a hand at Bard/Sublime Chord. Then I saw this (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1649-innate-spell.html) feat in Complete Arcane. I suddenly thought it'd be cool to use it with the Bard Spell (SpC) Improvisation.
IMPROVISATION
Transmutation
Level: Bard 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
You gain access to a floating “pool” of luck, which manifests as bonus points you can use as desired to improve your odds of success at various tasks. This bonus pool consists of 2 points per caster level, which you can spend as you like to improve attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks, although no single check can receive a bonus greater than one-half your caster level.
You must declare any bonus point usage before the appropriate roll is made. Used points disappear from the pool, and any points remaining when the spell ends are wasted. These points count as luck bonuses for the purpose of stacking.
That's practically +10 luck bonus @CL20 to 4 skills. While using it at will as a SPA sounds great to me, it uses up a 9th level spell slot. So, what are your thoughts? Is the feat worth it? Is innate-improvisation worth it? Any recommendations for good "Innate-able" spells?

OldFart
2011-07-02, 03:33 PM
Combined Talent and Immediate Assistance from Complete Mage fit what you're doing, but the former is limited in effect to CL 10 and the latter is not dependent on CL, so I'd recommend wands or other magic items for them.

The bigger question is whether giving up a 9th-level spell slot permanently is worth it vs. buying CL20 wands. 15k for 50 charge wand vs. 121.5 k for Memento Magica to restore 9th-level slot. Are you going to cast this spell more than 400 times? And that's not including the feat...

Jack_Simth
2011-07-02, 03:43 PM
And that's not including the feat...
Feats. Plural. Has the requirement of Still Spell, Silent Spell, and Quicken Spell. Silent... can't be taken as a Bard, so it's a moot point in the specific scenario. In general, though: Not really worthwhile pre-epic, unless you're getting all the feats required anyway. In this specific case? Maybe. If you want to focus on skillmonkery rather heavily - but then, you can't....

Shadowknight12
2011-07-02, 03:51 PM
Feats. Plural. Has the requirement of Still Spell, Silent Spell, and Quicken Spell. Silent... can't be taken as a Bard, so it's a moot point in the specific scenario.

Nitpick: Bards CAN take Silent Spell. They just can't use it.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-02, 04:08 PM
Nitpick: Bards CAN take Silent Spell. They just can't use it.
*Stops and checks*

You're right. I sit corrected.

dextercorvia
2011-07-02, 10:12 PM
And yet, the Spell Compendium has a number of Bard only spells with no verbal component.

Cieyrin
2011-07-03, 09:58 AM
And yet, the Spell Compendium has a number of Bard only spells with no verbal component.

Some make sense, like Joyful Noise, but yeah, some of those are rather inconsistent.