PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Campocalypse, part 2

Kjata
2011-07-02, 07:05 AM
So I used to be in a Mutants and masterminds campaign taking place at my local gaming store. It eventually melted down into a giant bitchfest which ended in the dm never returning. It was a shame, because i wasn't there when it happened and I liked the guy. It was my first campaign, and I thought role playing games were dumb. When everyone is min maxing and being competitive instead of roleplaying, I want to just play magic. It's actually a competitive game and moves at a much quicker pace.

Anyway, my favorite player in the group was someone who actually roleplayed. He came up with interesting, fleshed out characters. He was playing a woman from another universe, with an interesting backstory and an accent. He actually spoke in character with an accent.

Anyway, today he was going to start a game where you are an 11 year old at summer camp in the late 80s. No stats, no skills, just roleplaying with a very simplistic way of handling checks. You roll 2D6, and tell him the higher number. Based on how high it is, he tells you how well you do. I tell him I'm not interested based on my previous experience, he tells me i should give it a try. i do so.

My character was originally a very nerdy kid in a spiderman costume. He signed up as Spiderman. About 10 minutes in, I decide I don't like my character, so another character tells me Spiderman is somewhat of a jewish name, pronouced Spederman. So i became Alan Spiderman, a somewhat sadistic Jewish boy. He tped another cabin on his first night at camp, and attempted to steal a canoe to go to the girls camp across the lake to tp cabins there, but I failed to do so due.

We also have Kevin, who is the jocky ass who bullies the weak kids. The guy playing him is a camp counciler IRL, and has dealt with people exactly like this and plays him well. He stole all the batteries out of other cabins that were powered gameboys and walkmen, knowing you can't complain because they were contraband anyway.

Then we have Hank. The guy playing him plays roleplayong games more as tactical mini games, and thus was mostly reading gaming books and such. His character is the quiet type, who has a DnD manual with him at camp. Ultimately, he did very little.

Then there's Aaron. Once again, the player is more into gameplay than roleplaying, so he also wasn't super fleshed out. He did have a character, being the clown who pranks people all the time.

There was also brandon, who is the mommas boy goody two shoes. he is picked on by Kevin, and tries to get him in trouble. He wears earmuffs to bed, and is constantly doing dumb things to fit in. Ultimately, most of the camp hates him.

Another camper was Harry. His player is Hank's player's son, and is fairly young. So ultimately harry had no personality and did things at random. He pranked Brandon, who tried to get him back. Kevin convinced brandon it would be funny to put on Harry's pants and piss them. he does so, only to be mocked by everyone else, and have a polaroid taken with him wearing pissed pants.

Finally, we have Corey AKA Mister T. He is the only black kid at the camp, and as such, feels like an outcast. He is constantly calling people honky and cracker, and has a mohawk. He acts tough so people won't mess with him, but is really afraid. He showed up late, and as such has all the crappy activities no one else wanted. he hates Brandon the most, due to Brandon saying "I don't care that your black, I know your good on the inside." This was taken as incredibly racist.

There was also Leo, the DM's character. He has no personality whatsoever, complainging on tuesday night he wasn't feeling well. Wednesday morning, he stays in bed. When we returned to the cabin that night, he wasn't there and was assumed to be in the infirmary.

Anyway, the camp was to last 3 weeks, and the DM had us sign up for week 1's activities. It was a ton of fun, with characters coming out. Harry, Aaron, and Spiderman formed a small group, with Corey sometimes hanging out with them. Hank spent a lot of time alone, Brandon tried to fit in with everyone yet had nobody, and Kevin being friends with everyone. Ultimately by the beginning of Friday we were getting a little burned out. We kinda went through the motions for the morning activities, and in the evening Kevin, Hank and Harry went mountain biking, Spiderman, Aaron and Corey went to indian studies, and Brandon stole Spierman's idea to go TP the girls cabins across the lake and stole a canoe.

When mountain biking, a bear appeared on the trail when Kevin was cutting ahead. He slammed on his breaks, and the councilor crashed into him, lost control and went over the side of the ledge. Kevin scared off the bear with a part popper while the campers threw the councilor a rope where he was hanging onto a small ledge. He grabs the rope, and the group of kids is trying to pull him up when the bear comes back and is charging. The kids scream and run, letting go of the rope to drop the councilor to his death. The commotion frightens the bear away again, and now the campers are in shock to realize that the councilor just died in front of them. Kevin leads most of the campers back, while Hank stays behind, too in shock too leave.

Meanwhile, brandon gets lost out on the lake. He eventually reaches shore, only to realize he has no idea where the hell he is.

Kevin returns and tells the other councilors what happened. A few ask him to show them where it happened, while the rest gather the kids and take them back to their cabins. At this point, those of us not out and about realize Brandon is missing, and Leo was never at the infirmary.

The session ended with Kevin at the main office on the phone with his mom, Brandon lost, and the rest of us sleeping at the cabin. The adults are mostly out searching for the lost campers. Harry wakes up with a loud gasp, which awakens Spiderman. Harry is soaked with sweat, and has a horrible feeling of dread. On the window is a handprint on the outside. Spiderman gets up and looks out the window, to see Leo walking around outside. He is going to the door, when the doorknob rattles. he calls out "Leo?" to no response. He says it again, more forcefully and with a growing feeling of panic. Still no response, but the door opens and Leo is standing there, looking horribly ill. Spiderman begins to walk toward him, and reaches out to him. Leo falls into his arms, then attacks him.

The DM then says that we will pick this up next week.

During the game, he said the dice rolling was so simplistic because we were kids, and had no skills. He then said that he made us skills based on our chosen activities.

jpreem
2011-07-02, 07:16 AM
Wow - tis sounds like a really kickass campaign. You are lucky to have such a GM. Im looking forward to hear more of it.

Kjata
2011-07-02, 07:22 AM
Don't worry, I'll post updates to this thread.

Seriously, I can't wait to play again. Especially because the session ended with me getting attacked by a zombie.

I think the funniest part about this game was 2 of us going outside to smoke, while discussing childish exploits. I wonder the mexicans at the spanish AA building next door thought.

Also, in the climactic scene, the guy playing Aaron turned on some music from an 80s horror movie, I think it was Friday the 13th. It set the mood so well haha.

Knaight
2011-07-02, 07:24 AM
That sounds a lot of fun. Its good that you've found a group that fits your style.

Kjata
2011-07-02, 07:30 AM
Funnily enough, its the same group, just a different dm and not M&M. I've grown to hate M&M, due to how easy it was to break characters and how wonky the battle system was. We literally had 3 people who were unkillable, and if we thought anything that could give them a challenge at all the rest of us were completely useless. Basically the game boiled down to long sessions of half of us doing nothing or dying, the rest trading bruises with the enemies with all of them regenerating.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-02, 08:09 AM
M&M is one of the worst-balanced systems out there; you can't really play it as a pick-up game, because the DM has to be in on every step of you chargen so you know it's not too powerful, and you should be constantly aware of the rest of your party to stay on par with them without going over or under.

Glad to see you're enjoying RP again, though...

(and M:TG can totally be RPed. I do it.:smallcool:)

Kjata
2011-07-02, 08:22 AM
Problem about party balance was, it was my first campaign EVER (and it almost killed roleplaying for me completely), and the other 2 useless people weren't that into number crunching, they wanted to play out a story.

And magic being unbalance is different. If someone is playing casual and being an asshat, we tell him his deck is OPed and take it to a tourney, and build a new deck. There's a reason why my legacy Cawblade running JtMS, Jitte, Sword of Feast & Famine and Fire & Ice never comes out in casual... It was made to win, and it does so. It's not fun when I'm countering your threats with a Hawk beating for 3-9 while drawing me cards and shooting your creatures, and your playing your proliferate deck or your soldiers... You will lose, and it will be boring for both of us.

Basically, the M&M games were me playing my Eldrazi Spawnument (Exactly what it sounds like... 0/1s becoming indestructible flying threats) vs the deck that goes infinite on turn 4 and banefires you for a million... With the NPCs being Legacy Merfolk.

Sorry to anyone who doesn't play Magic and has no idea what this post just said :smallwink:

EDIT: I thought you said OPed. Whoops haha. I have no interest in roleplaying Magic, I use that to get my competetiveness in gaming out. When Planeswalkers are involved, it becomes Serious Fun for me. That's why I was so irritated by the M&M game, I didn't want a game where we are supposed to be building a story be serious fun, because me in Serious Fun mode is staring you down, analyzing the board, and figuring about how to go for the kill.

Back to the game last night, the guy playing Corey stopped by the shop on his way home mostly just to say hi, and he told me he hadn't played an rpg since February because he's done it all. He watched us play for like 10 minutes, decided to get in, and said he was coming back next week for sure.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-02, 08:24 AM
I didn't even mention Magic's balance (heck, I had to stop playing my Enduring Ideal enchantment deck back in the Ravnica era because it was OP for my gaming group..Enduring Ideal) - I was just objecting to the implication that you can't roleplay while playing Magic. It's best done incredibly hammy and over-the-top, as befits a CHILDREN'S CARD GAME.:smallbiggrin:

Kjata
2011-07-02, 08:30 AM
I misread you post, and edited my last one.

Aidan305
2011-07-02, 01:10 PM
It's best done incredibly hammy and over-the-top, as befits a CHILDREN'S CARD GAME.:smallbiggrin:
Myself and a friend did that once. We got told to stop by the other people in the room.

RandomNPC
2011-07-02, 01:23 PM
I like this game idea, I've been thinking about something like this for a while, but I keep going to rulebooks. I've decided I'm to orderly and rule oriented for a complete freestyle game.

I think I'm going to use this as a way to get characters fleshed out before handing out blank character sheets, with notes on how the character was played before the sheet was introduced, maybe I'll crack my need for so many rules little by little.

Tengu_temp
2011-07-02, 05:11 PM
Yeah, you can't really play M&M with people who only care about creating the most powerful character available and nothing about common sense, party structure or roleplaying - the side effect of the freedom such open RPG systems give you is that they're easy to break, and they require mutual trust and cooperation between players. to make sure nobody is too strong or too weak. Actually, that mindset is pretty much required to have an enjoyable game in any system, because playing with people who don't care about your fun is not a good experience.

oxybe
2011-07-02, 05:20 PM
Myself and a friend did that once. We got told to stop by the other people in the room.

what you need to do it turn it up to 11 in a casual game and make sure it's not during FNM... those guys are all business and if you mess with them they'll unleash the brooklyn rage.

Kjata
2011-07-03, 01:09 AM
what you need to do it turn it up to 11 in a casual game and make sure it's not during FNM... those guys are all business and if you mess with them they'll unleash the brooklyn rage.

That's a terrible idea. People doing stuff like that actually kills the fun of it for me. See what someone else said:

because playing with people who don't care about your fun is not a good experience.

I don't find it funny, and almost offensive, when people are doing that.

Yes, I'm probably too serious about magic, but we are all playing to have fun, why should your little bit extra be more important than mine?

The Glyphstone
2011-07-03, 09:53 AM
That's a terrible idea. People doing stuff like that actually kills the fun of it for me. See what someone else said:

I don't find it funny, and almost offensive, when people are doing that.

Yes, I'm probably too serious about magic, but we are all playing to have fun, why should your little bit extra be more important than mine?

Well, obviously you only do it if both players are in on it. We're not advocating doing it randomly against another person who's taking in seriously. If you're just talking about trying to play a 'serious' game while two guys over at the next table are hamming it up and having a great time, that's another issue, and a less defensible one.

gkathellar
2011-07-03, 10:38 AM
Yeah, one of the things M&M specifically asks players not to do is break the game. The designers know it can be done, and they just come out and say "Hey guys, we know the system as written is like a wineglass, but wineglasses are only fun if you keep them intact. Play nice."

Of course, gamer geeks being gamer geeks ...

Kjata
2011-07-04, 06:06 AM
Well, obviously you only do it if both players are in on it. We're not advocating doing it randomly against another person who's taking in seriously. If you're just talking about trying to play a 'serious' game while two guys over at the next table are hamming it up and having a great time, that's another issue, and a less defensible one.

In that situation, be my guest. But if you are playing in the same game as me, I'd like you take it somewhat seriously, otherwise I feel like you aren't taking me seriously as a player or you just don't care to play to the best of your abilities.

oxybe
2011-07-04, 09:38 AM
like glyphstone said, if everyone else is being serious, you should be serious. if everyone else is being silly, be silly... there is something to be said about reading the atmosphere and going along with it or deciding "well, this scene aint' for me" thanking them for the opportunity and leaving.

i mean, look at D&D for example... someone actually has a quote of mine in there sig that sums up my feelings on the subject:

You need to apply the MST3K mantra when playing RPGs and let yourself get immersed in just how ridiculous the situation is when you realize your psionic robot is fighting the wolfman on top of a magic train for possession of the Golden MacGuffin while aided by your velociraptor riding, boomerang throwing, midget berserker and being shot after by dwarves on an airship.

yeah Eberron is kinda crazy like that. loads of fun too and is right there alongside the Grimdark setting called Dark Sun as the best setting to come out of D&D IMO.

and yet it's also a setting that can be very well suited for political intrigue and espionage, having just finished their equivalent of a world war with border tensions being high and several "megacorps" in the form of continent-spanning organizations of dragonmarked houses.

but gorddangit can that setting just turn it up from 0 to ridiculous.

honestly, if you want a "serious" game make it clear to your group about your intent and make sure you're gaming with people who also want a "serious" game. i like serious games as much as the next guy, but honestly i'm a much bigger fan of being a large ham, especially if the group is willing to go along with it... but we're pretty casual so we just go with the flow: sometimes silly, sometimes hammy, sometimes serious.

very rarely will we stay 100% in one tone for an entire campaign.

Kjata
2011-07-09, 05:44 AM
Alright, so last night was the second session, and it was very fun. We used the Savage Worlds system.

The game began with Kevin coming back to the cabin. While walking, a helicopter flew overhead. A man jumps out, then the helicopter proceeds to crash. He goes toward the downed helicopter, and sees the camp councilor that fell to his death crawling toward him. He is seriously mangled, and calling his name. The councilor grabs him, and attempts to eat him, when his head explodes and there is a gunshot. The park ranger explains they found the body, then it attacked the pilot.

Back at the cabin, Spiederman is being attacked by Leo. He punches leo in the face, and the rest of the campers freak out. They proceed to beat down then restrain him. Shortly after, the ranger and Kevin come back. After telling the ranger what happened, he checks leo and there is no pulse. He takes him outside and stabs him, then carries the body away and leaves us there. We get the impression he doesn't like kids at all.

Well Spiederman is covered in puke, Kevin in brains and blood. So we went to wash up and change, and Aaron follows. In the bathroom, we met an extremely scared kid. He has a baseball bat, which I take when the kid goes hysterical. We try to convince him to follow, but he doesn't. Anyway, we decide that since we are close to where they keep the fencing gear, we should get some swords. We go and do so.

In the meantime, the cabin is attacked by zombies. Hank is abandoned by the other two still there. They get lost in the woods and Hank crosses the lake, using his jeans as a flotation device. They fall asleep in secure places.

Anyway, we went back to the cabin. Well, the windows were broken and there was no one there. So we went to the councilors cabin, locked ourselves in, and go to sleep.

We wake up with zombies everywhere around the cabin. We climb out on the roof and try to decide what to do.

Hank goes around gearing up. He ends up with like 2 bows, a ton of arrows, a mountain bike, food, water, gasoline, etc. He is ready for damn near anything.

Brandon wakes up. Its sunny, warm, and peaceful. He sits up, looks around, and realizes he is lost. So he starts walking, and he finds a road. He follows it.

Harry and Corey are also lost, and they find a road. They follow it, and eventually meet Brandon. Corey hates brandon, and just ran from zombies, so he fires his slingshot at him. Brandon freaks out, and they decide that 3 people is better than two, so they let Brandon come with them. The follow the road, and eventually find a cabin. Inside they find food and guns, which they are in the process of stealing when the owners come home. And they are crazy hillbillies. They call corey racial slurs and tell him he is going to chop wood, and take the others out front.

Anyway, we jump of the room and run. We manage to lose all but one zombie immediately before Kevin is about to pass out. I tell him we have to fight it. I roll some mad dice, and kill the zombie in one blow by sticking a sword through its head. We make it to the giant inflatable thing out in the water, and end the session floating on it.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-09, 09:00 AM
In the meantime, the cabin is attacked by zombies. Hank is abandoned by the other two still there. They get lost in the woods and Hank crosses the lake, using his jeans as a flotation device. They fall asleep in secure places.

[airplane steward]

"In the event of a water landing, your pants may be used as a flotation device.Lose some weight, fatty."

[/airplane steward]

Lord Loss
2011-07-09, 01:42 PM
Sounds awesome! Keep us updated, this is really interesting so far.

Kjata
2011-07-10, 12:34 AM
[airplane steward]

"In the event of a water landing, your pants may be used as a flotation device.Lose some weight, fatty."

[/airplane steward]

Yeah, I was like WTF, but apparently when denim gets wets, it becomes fairly water/air tight. So by tying the holes off, you can create a makeshift floaty.

Starwulf
2011-07-10, 01:10 AM
I have to admit, I A: didn't even notice(literally, I just now saw it, when I went to post this, hence the A:) the Title to this was "Zombie Campocalypse", and B: Somehow figured out it was going to be about zombies about 15 seconds after reading the part in your first post where you said that Leo had stomach cramps, stayed in the cabin, then was gone when everyone came back later that afternoon. I guess I've watched way to many(ok, there's no such thing) Zombie movies :) Anything to do with zombies, I'm all over it, and I can almost always pick up when a story is going to involve them, and that one line sent warning bells exploding inside my head, lol.

Can't wait to read more about the campaign, it sounds well thought out thus far :)

Kjata
2011-07-10, 06:51 AM
The guy playing Kevin did too. I realized it right as the councilor died, because up to that point I had the impression this was going to be a one-off game.