PDA

View Full Version : Frostburn's Ritiik

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-02, 10:48 AM
In the special description of the weapon there is a bit that says you can stick it into someone if they fail a reflex check. It then says that the guy who got speared can pull it out if they have two hands open with a full round action, but nowhere does it say that the person who stabbed them can pull it out. So if you spear them how do you get your weapon back?

mootoall
2011-07-02, 10:55 AM
I imagine with a full round action using two hands.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-02, 10:58 AM
It would make sense but it doesn't say you can do that, only the damaged creature. So RAW you can't take it back, but RAI you are probably meant to.

FyreByrd
2011-07-02, 11:30 AM
Disclaimer: This is how I've always played with the Ritiik, and how my DM's (and if I've been DM'ing) have handled it. it may not be RAW (and if you want a strict RAW answer, the RAW thread might be the best bet for a quick answer)

I love the Ritiik, I have this thing about creating Neanderthal's that use it, it's a very bad habit of mine.

Firstly I think it's quite clear that any character can pull it out with a DC15 heal check, whether that's you, or the target.

Secondly, you never take your hand off the weapon (unless you fail your trip check, in which you can CHOOSE to take off your hand, to avoid retaliation)

In light of that, I've always ruled that you can pull the Ritiik back out as a free action (but not doing the additional damage), unless you let go of the ritiik, then it is a full round action, to grasp, and remove the ritiik

cZak
2011-07-03, 03:50 PM
Disclaimer: This is how I've always played with the Ritiik:

... you can pull the Ritiik back out as a free action (but not doing the additional damage), unless you let go of the ritiik, then it is a full round action, to grasp, and remove the ritiik

The 'letting go/ re-grab' causing additional damage than the just pulling it back out does not seem to make much sense. I'm not sure what changes between the two conditions that would cause the additional damage.

Maybe h/r (house-rule) that the wielder, on his next turn, can pull the Ritiik out of his victim as a move action (like drawing a weapon) inflicting the 'pull out w/o a heal check.

Actually might be :smallcool: if the wielder had Quick draw...
Stick the enemy
(next round) quick draw your antler from his head causing additional damage...
Full attack
Repeat

Allow opposed strength checks to keep the 'stuck' in place if it tries to move on its action.
If 'it' succeeds, it takes the damage from pulling the Ritiik as if no heal check; beats by >5 it yanks the weapon out of the wielder's grasp (disarms) with no 'remove' damage.
If wielder wins str check, 'it' stays where it is (no move) and the weapon is still in the wielders grasp.

kharmakazy
2011-07-03, 04:13 PM
I've been playing with harpoons which are thrown weapons that use (i believe) an identical mechanism.

The way I see it, they were meant to stick in whales and keep them from getting away. So pulling on them just doesn't work as well as normal. Using 2 hands is essentially twisting and pulling it out, something that the stuck character could resist someone else doing if they wanted to. The Heal check is to remove it without ripping out chunks of flesh. Things without hands are just SoL imho.

Mind you, if they are dead you can just take them back, cutting it out of the corpse if your DM insists.