PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt pair for a PsyWar

kardar233
2011-07-02, 02:03 PM
I'm running a RHoD campaign in a month or so once my players get back, and to make up for their low numbers I'm having them Gestalt and be one level higher than advised, then adjust from there.

One player is playing a Dragonborn Goliath PsyWar who is either going for an Ubercharger or a Tashalatora X-of-Smack. What would be good Gestalt sides for this? Also, which side would you assign the LA penalty to?

Yora
2011-07-02, 02:10 PM
Depending on what level you expect to reach (I think RHoD is getting quite high), something with full BAB and maybe good Reflex and Will would be nice.
What about Ranger? It has full BAB, good Reflex, and a lot of Skill points. With the Vigor power, having d10 or d12 hit points wouldn't be that much of an improvement.
Or scout (CAd). As a PsyWar you should not have much trouble to get insanely mobile (maybe a level or two in Elocator) and get all you can out of Skirmish.

Dragonsoul
2011-07-02, 02:16 PM
Factorum- there, I've mentioned it(Although it's only insane once you hit 8th)

Warblade I've found is a nice addition to any combat monkey, D12 hit die, full BAB and some nice combat options

Yora
2011-07-02, 02:18 PM
So this is one of the very few cases in which Swordsage is not an optimal choice. :smallbiggrin:

Salanmander
2011-07-02, 03:07 PM
There are a ton of options, depending on what you want to do. I'll not list anything that has previously been mentioned, though they are good ideas.

Crusader could be very good. It's a pretty good chassis, with d10 hit dice and full BAB, and the delayed damage pool can be /really/ nice. The maneuvers are just gravy, especially if you don't have another use for your swift actions.

Incarnate or totemist also always make for good gestalt sides, since they are basically a collection of flexible passive abilities.

Does whirling frenzy prevent you from using abilities that take concentration? If not, a whirling frenzy barbarian//psywar would be pretty badass.

Duskblade seems a bit redundant at first, but most psywar powers are about modifying yourself, and a lot of duskblade spells are about making your enemy very sad.

You could also add versatility and a lot of damage with rogue, but it won't increase your survivability much.

Artificer for down-time party power increasing, and pre-buffing of yourself and others.

So basically, there are a lot of very good options. If they want to maximize the power of their main shtick, then full BAB or some other major melee boost (like sneak attack) is a must. If they're okay with having two powerful roles, instead of one very powerful one, then your options open up a lot. You could even stick on wizard with nothing but utility spells!

kardar233
2011-07-02, 03:11 PM
Perhaps I should mention his stats: He's 21/11/19/14/18/11, in that order. Not sure Factotum works with only a +2 Int mod. I was thinking a Wis-based class, like Cloistered Cleric or Swordsage.

If he goes Cloistered Cleric into Prestige Paladin, I thought there was a feat somewhere that converted the Paladin's CHA dependency into another stat. Does anyone know where I could find that?

RndmNumGen
2011-07-02, 03:35 PM
Perhaps I should mention his stats: He's 21/11/19/14/18/11, in that order. Not sure Factotum works with only a +2 Int mod. I was thinking a Wis-based class, like Cloistered Cleric or Swordsage.

If he goes Cloistered Cleric into Prestige Paladin, I thought there was a feat somewhere that converted the Paladin's CHA dependency into another stat. Does anyone know where I could find that?

I believe the feat you're thinking of is Serenity from Dragon 306. Converts all CHA-based abilities into WIS, which would work very well with your build IMO. I don't know anything about Prestiege Paladin, but even regular Paladin would make a good gestalt, I think. Higher Hit Dice, WIS to saves, paladin mount... good deal, I'd say.

Ernir
2011-07-02, 04:25 PM

Cleric is probably the strongest option. Swordsage might be more specifically synergistic (and easier to build), buffing up with powers and kicking ass with strikes. I think you're on the right track.

A Serenity Prestige Paladin with Battle Blessing (Complete Champion) is, if allowed to work... kind of insanely strong. Beware. :smalltongue:

mootoall
2011-07-02, 04:32 PM
Factorum- there, I've mentioned it(Although it's only insane once you hit 8th)

What is this Factorum? I've never heard of it.

Factotum, on the other hand, wouldn't really be a very good choice for this particular type of build. PsyWar is Wis focused, not Int. I'd actually say that Monk or UASS might actually be something to look at. Wis synergy for both, Unarmed Strikes can be used in conjunction with natural attacks, you get your missing saves, and in the case of the swordsage you get more things to do with your standard/swift actions than you would normally.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-03, 04:42 AM
If your looking for pure high numbers, then heres what I suggest.
Psychic warrior//Skarn Monk 5/Sernity Paladin 5/Argent Fist 10
Argent Fist is in Faiths of Eberron. It allows you to get Wisdom to AC in armour, although it means you can't have fast movement or Flurry and makes paladin, monk and argent fist levels stack when getting Unarmed strike.
Skarn gives you 2 natural weapons, which with skarn monk allows them to deal unarmed strike + 1/2 str mod damage each, and the 6th level of monk doesn't really help here.

kardar233
2011-07-03, 04:43 AM
Well, he's decided on Unarmed Swordsage.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.