PDA

View Full Version : Elites (Sangheili) Help?

Kyberwulf
2011-07-02, 05:21 PM
Hello, i was looking for Help creating a New race for the Sangheili (Elites from Halo). A player of mine wants to play one, but i can't seem to find a Race for it.

I was hoping to find some help in creating the new Race.

So far, this is what I have

Sangheili
Large Monsterous Humoid

Str (i was gonna give them a +4 or +6 not sure)
Dex +4
Con +4
int (no changes, since they seem to have Human level intelligance)
Wis (-2 or 4 because they tend to have strongerwilled leaders in place)
Cha (-2 again cause they have a set place in society, hence they tend to not have a distinct sense of self)

I am not sure about other Facts about them. As such, I don't know of any other S.A they have.

The player knows that they are not gonna have access to the Energy Weapons. They are gonna have low Tech Arms and Armor.

The Other races from The Halo world, Brutes and stuff might be helpful to make, but I am not to worried about them.

hivedragon
2011-07-02, 05:30 PM
I did't think elites are much larger than humans.
You might want to look as the ghost faced killer from the Complete Adventurer.

myancey
2011-07-02, 05:35 PM
Elites are a lot bigger than the average human. I agree with the large monstrous humanoid bit.

I'd almost say that strength and constitution should even be a tiny bit higher--Elites can take out an entire squad of Marines by themselves. A single elite is of equivalent strength to Master Chief 117.

Amnestic
2011-07-02, 05:37 PM

They may not seem that way because Spartans are larger than humans are. Sangheili average about 8'6" in height. Edit: With the tallest (that I can find) reaching a rather large 11'6", while the shortest is 7'10".

Hunter Killer
2011-07-02, 05:51 PM
Instead of creating a whole buttload of new races for your non-Halo Halo campaign, why not just refluff existing races?

For the Elites, I'd use the Half-Giant race from Expanded Psionics. Just change the ability modifiers to +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha. Maybe change the +2 to bonus to saves against fire spells to a +1 AC bonus against ranged attacks. Also, maybe a bonus to melee weapons instead of innate Psionics?

Brutes could use the Goliath from the Races of Stone. Maybe add and additional +2 Con and -2 Int, -2 Cha. Swap the Sense Motive bonus for Intimidate instead. The rest of the race fits what they can do in the Halo games pretty well.

Stuff like that... It's a lot easier than coming up with new stuff on your own and rebalancing all that new stuff against the existing stuff.

Zonugal
2011-07-02, 06:00 PM
I'm going to follow Hunter Killer in recommending just adapting a pre-existing race for the villains. If you want a consistency within the enemies the players face you could have the grunts be goblins, the elites be Hobgolbins (maybe with the Half-Minotaur template) and just progress from there.

But if you really like that I'd recommend looking at the Sunscorch Hobgoblins from Dragon Magic. This opens up the whole spectrum of both goblinoid and draconic creatures for use. So you can have kobolds and goblins be the basic infantry, Half-Dragon Sunscorch hobgoblins be the elites, Half-Dragon Bugbears be the huge tank-like dudes, Dragonwrought kobolds be the high council ones, ect... The other advantage to such an approach is, in addition to being able to have favored enemy more selective & focused) the enemies can use the Dragonscale Husk ability (from Dragon Magic) to immediately have armor.

Lyndworm
2011-07-02, 06:51 PM
Maybe this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116581) will help you out. You are not alone, my friend.

Midnight_v
2011-07-02, 07:00 PM
I really want to say they're bugbears... but the racial hd really doesn't work.
So...

Hobgoblins as Characters

Hobgoblin characters possess the following racial traits.
•+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution.
•A hobgoblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
•Darkvision out to 60 feet.
•+4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
•Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Infernal, Giant, Orc.
•Favored Class: Fighter.
•Level adjustment +1.

Flat out give them "Powerful build" and then they are large without being large. I think they're in that gray area right on the edge of medium/large. I don't think they're ogre big. Halo wiki says they're 7.5-8.5ft tall, and weigh 300lbs, the srd says
Medium 4 ft. - 8 ft. /60 lb. - 500 lb.
So adding powerful build puts them right in line. Not to mention the bonus to dex and con mean "there's no such thing as a BAD elite" at anything really.
Enjoy. (p.s if you lose the powerful build, you can drop the level adjustmet, honestly you can drop it right out if you want. )

Big Fau
2011-07-02, 07:39 PM
You might want to look as the ghost faced killer from the Complete Adventurer.

Master Chief and everyone on Noble team is at least 7ft tall. George in particular is somewhere in the 8ft range, and Elites are about as tall as he is (Halo 3 and ODST notwithstanding).

Grunts are supposed to be 5ft tall when standing upright and not held down by their methane packs.

dgnslyr
2011-07-02, 08:00 PM
I think Kobolds would make lovely Grunts. It just fits their small, pathetic nature so well.

Big Fau
2011-07-02, 10:18 PM
I think Kobolds would make lovely Grunts. It just fits their small, pathetic nature so well.

Too short. Grunts are taller than Dwarves. About PHB Elf height actually.

dgnslyr
2011-07-02, 11:22 PM
I know Kobolds are much smaller than actual Grunts, but both races are small and pathetic compared to everything around them, so it fits.

Big Fau
2011-07-03, 12:59 AM
I know Kobolds are much smaller than actual Grunts, but both races are small and pathetic compared to everything around them, so it fits.

Actually, according to the novels, Grunts are on-par with normal Marines (it's when the ODST or a Spartan team shows up that they lose their nerve; they like being on the winning side). As ODST itself shows, an ODST squad member is very much capable of taking on Hunters, Wraiths, Brutes. They rightfully earned the title of Biggest Badasses in the UNSC (at least until the Spartan 1 project began and they got supplanted).

Spartans are a whole different can of badass: The Covenant redefined their language's word for "Demon" specifically to reference the Spartan 2 program (Spartan 3s were less-famous amongst the Covenant because most of them died before Reach fell, and only a total of 8 are confirmed alive post-war). Spartan 2s were the utter bane of the Covenant army (Halo Legends be damned, Blue Team was grade-S Badass).

Midnight_v
2011-07-03, 01:41 AM
So.... yeah... non level adjusted hobgoblins w/powerful build.
I actually did the halo campaign once for people who never played halo I'll see if I can find my notes.
I can't rember what I made the elites, but it was somethign along the lines of what I suggested.
Off hand I do rember,
Neogi were the prophets. (I gave them a template but I don't rember what, celestial? too long ago sorry)
Leechwalker hive minds where the hunters, but all I allowed them to do was cast evocations.
Jackals were kenku sneaks of various levels.
There is a creature in the MM3 That I found to be the grunts they even look like grunts in the picture. I can't remember the name and am afb.

.... also I want to say the main reason why humans got wiped out so severely was 1. The element of surprise. and 2. Technological Gaps. Though thats truly an argument for another thread maybe another forum.

darksolitaire
2011-07-03, 03:35 AM
In my current campaing, my goblinoids and orcoids are partially inspired by Covenant races. Goblins act as grunts, hobgoblins are elites, bugbears are hunters, and orcs are brutes. Sword-wielding sangheili are represented by Hobgoblins with levels in Soulknife, some have levels in ninja to represent active camoflauge. Hunters are essentially in Mountain Plate, and are wielding gnome calculesses, alchemists' fires, harpoons, thunderstones and spiked heavy shields which are enchanted as weapons.

Someone said it best, flavor is what you make of it.

Morph Bark
2011-07-03, 11:12 AM
Check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173599) out. It might be of help.

Kyberwulf
2011-07-03, 12:03 PM
Thanks Morph Break, that is indeed Helpful, So far i am liking the Medium Sized/Powerful Build idea. Seeing how they are not OVERLY tall like the Brutes, or Hunters.

I don't think Sangheili's are Reptilian though. They dont Strick me as Cold-Blooded. (not in attitude, i mean ACTUALLY COLD-BLOODED)

I was thinking about giving them +4 to jump and ignoring the having to move 20' rule for jumps. Talking with The Player about abilities they have, apperently their legs are bent backwards and designed for running and jumping. Might give them 40' Base and the run feat

Morph Bark
2011-07-03, 12:16 PM
I don't think Sangheili's are Reptilian though. They dont Strick me as Cold-Blooded. (not in attitude, i mean ACTUALLY COLD-BLOODED)

If this was aimed at me, note that my Sangheili are not reptilian-subtyped, unlike An Enemy Spy's version that Lyndworm linked to. :smallwink:

Midnight_v
2011-07-03, 12:21 PM
So far i am liking the Medium Sized/Powerful Build idea. Seeing how they are not OVERLY tall like the Brutes, or Hunters
Thanks, glad I could be of help.
I went and looked up the halo races on the wiki. I'm on vacation so I won't be able to find my notes BUT, I found the race from the MM3 that I used for grunts!

They're called the "Armand"

Armand MM3 pg10 Monstrous Humanoid, Small

Eruantion
2011-07-03, 12:40 PM
Thanks Morph Break, that is indeed Helpful, So far i am liking the Medium Sized/Powerful Build idea. Seeing how they are not OVERLY tall like the Brutes, or Hunters.

I was thinking about giving them +4 to jump and ignoring the having to move 20' rule for jumps. Talking with The Player about abilities they have, apperently their legs are bent backwards and designed for running and jumping. Might give them 40' Base and the run feat

The Halo wiki (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Sangheili) page should help on things like height and weight, as well as what type of blood they have, etc.

Also, kobolds= jackals, IMO

Is this for a Halo game, or does he just want to play a Sangheili in a normal campaign?

Kyberwulf
2011-07-03, 12:58 PM
Its mostly just a new Race, which i think would make an awesome addition to the D&D races.

Morph Bark
2011-07-03, 01:27 PM
The Halo wiki (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Sangheili) page should help on things like height and weight, as well as what type of blood they have, etc.

I actually kept the Halo wiki aside for reference material while creating my 3.5 stats for the Halo races. I thought the Sangheili were similar in height and weight to Goliaths, and so went with Medium size, Powerful Build.